Home > My Defender > TD5 110 Java black - Mandy the Landy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Cooperracer05 wrote:
JOW240725 wrote:
Love your comment on the central locking!! But well done for having a go!! Thumbs Up

Thanks mate, I’ll get to the bottom of it, just a matter of time and patience. Thankfully owning a classic Mini for some 12 years has established a monk like resolve to British Leyland engineering....it’s just a case of how many door card clips do I break on the journey!

There are threads / info on how to replace them if the door card clips are broken, so no need to worry about that Wink

If you haven't got one already, get a proper tool to prise the door cards off, it saves a lot of time and clips Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #879412 18th Jan 2021 9:49pm
Cooperracer05

2003 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Java Black
Thanks Clayton, yep I just ordered the scissor type tool and a set of trim removers. I'm going to be putting some more sound deadening in so figured it was a wise investment.

I did get some time at the weekend to have another play with the actuators, this time getting the passenger and drivers door cards off. Had a play around but cant work out what the issue is. I think it may just be a bit of old age and/or the cold weather. I gave the moving parts a good check over and lubed them all up, seem fine. Its very odd.

I may buy 1 new actuator and swap it in and see if that helps, at least that will help me diagnose the issue.

this round wasn't so effective wit the door card clips. the passenger side one rained clips down like some kind of sad midlands take on a mexican pinata, where the sweets were swapped with plastic 'fir trees'.

I will look to buy some flat head self tappers. Anyone know the size of self tapper that takes the fir tree?

Despite door card / fir tree shenanigans, I'm loving the car, up to 5 'waves' so far, really feel like on of the 'lads'.
Post #879550 19th Jan 2021 2:08pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Central locking issues are normally casued by fraying wires where the cable passes from the body to the door. Might be worth checking. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #879560 19th Jan 2021 2:32pm
Cooperracer05

Thanks JOW, I will check that, although im just not sure, as the issue seems to affect all of the doors but in complete randomness. So I press unlock, and could get any of the following combos to unlock/lock:

None
Drivers only
Front nearside only
Front offside and one of the rear side doors
Front nearside and one of the rear side doors

Boot always does what it is told

NEVER had all doors unlock as they should.

I'm not a auto electrician, but I am a relative logical thinker and the above indicates to me it shouldn't be a door wire as that should create a repeatable fault with one door only.

Some would say it's infuriating, I'm sticking with enchanting
Post #879586 19th Jan 2021 4:06pm
L110CDL

England 
It's better than a puzzle book as you don't have the answers to hand, keeps the brain in good working order Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #879797 20th Jan 2021 7:51pm
Paul1275s

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
Welcome along fella! Glad you got a good'un in the end! 2003 Defender 110 TD5 SW
2003 Caterham 7
2006 Mini Cooper GP
Post #880995 26th Jan 2021 10:58am
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
My guess would also be pillar to door wires. It's a very, very common problem for random door lock actuation (or lack there of) Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #881136 26th Jan 2021 6:09pm
Cooperracer05

Thanks. I'll check it out at the weekend.
Post #881153 26th Jan 2021 8:06pm
Cooperracer05

Some updates on Mandy, 800 miles in now, lust is turning into deep and ever lasting love I think she could be the one, what a truck!

The wing mirrors....oooOOOooo the wing mirrors - so good, she is a big ol' girl but the flat sides and the amazing mirrors make parking a breeze.

Driving position...i'm a small lad, 5'8" and 70kg soaking wet. I love the driving position, much like Napoleon, the elevated seat finally gives me the status that my physical dimensions have been lacking.

Best thing has been being able to use a very very hard to reach carpark in a local national park that no one in an SUV can get to due to clearance. Covid has seen many a beauty spot overrun and this feels like having Landie 'speedy boarding'.

Some issues though, but all part of the experience - a failing power steering pump making a hell of a noise, that will get replaced this weekend, looking forward to getting grubby.

Brake lights stopped - easy fix, bit of winter oxidisation on the contacts to the pedal switch so sorted that quickly. that did lead me to mess around with the door and bonnet close switches which has resulted in the alarm thinking a door is open, so need to spend a bit of time working out what I have messed up. Presume it is just a switch not unearthing as it should.

I also whipped all the carpets and mats out only to find the front mats were very wet. I am very lucky to have bought a beautifully maintained car with no rust and I plan on keeping it that way, so I cleaned and dried and went about liberally applying ACF50 to various places to protect, but will also set about finding the leaks. suspected spots are through the panel joins in the roof and I think down onto the bulkhead via a panel gap between the wing and bulkhead. I have dum dum at the ready!

Gave her a proper hoover out too.

I am thinking of ditching the carpet, struggling to see what it adds other than holding water. I dont find the noise level an issue so maybe ditch the sponges?
Post #891873 16th Mar 2021 3:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the great update and your still loving Mandy, all good then Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #891965 16th Mar 2021 8:48pm
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Welcome to the forum, nice 110 love Java black but then I am biased as my 90 is Java thought I stick a picture on of it with its black grill as you mention you are thinking of changing yours, my grill and light surrounds are santorini not Java

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #891983 16th Mar 2021 9:42pm
Cooperracer05

Yeh that looks great!

I'm toying with matte black for the surrounds grill.

Liking the black boosts too. I can't decide on which wheels. I'm keen to keep the car as standard as possible more generally, something about the clean look I love with a Landie.

Just got my new steering pump and some fan tools so will try and whip the old one out soon
Post #892124 17th Mar 2021 4:07pm
Cooperracer05

With my power steering pump gowing from impressions of Chewbakka but working, to intermittent power steering to nothing in the course of a couple of weeks, I found the time to swap it over. Bit frustrating that it needed doing as the old pump that came out was only 4 months old and had done about 800 miles only.

Anyway, pump and viscous fan tools were acquired and off I went, into my first proper mechanical fix.

Some pics

Fan tools were from Flatdog, they were pretty poor if I am honest, the bolt holes didnt line up even remotely and it was a bit of a bodge trying to hold it in place, but I did manage after a bit of swearing and bloody knuckles

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fan off successfully

Click image to enlarge

With the belt on I could get the steering pump pulley off and managed to keep it from spinning with a hex in the center

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then just a case of undoing the bolts and pipes and off she comes

Click image to enlarge

New and old next to each other

Click image to enlarge
Post #893148 22nd Mar 2021 9:28am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Nice fleet there, what engine is in the caterham 7? i hope its not the k series Shocked ( good engines but bloody expensive to fix) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #893181 22nd Mar 2021 1:31pm
Cooperracer05

Thanks! The Landie has been a long time must have on the list, and absolutely love her so far.

Yep it's the dreaded K series, 1.6 with lightweight flywheel and independent throttle bodies which give unreal throttle response. Has about 155bhp which in a 500kg car is ample.

The k series is in my view the perfect engine for a 7, it's very light, easy to tune, plenty of parts and loves to rec which suits a light car. I've driven the Ford powered ones and they are effective but lack character especially at the top end. Guess it's a bit like the TD5 vs. Transit debate. I went TD5 as it sounded well matched to Defender character. Have to say, the gearing on the TD5 is spot on, although Iafter a few months I'm thinking a bit more grunt would be welcome as it feels a bit sluggish at times.
Post #893207 22nd Mar 2021 3:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>