↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 110 metal fuel tank fittings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
110 metal fuel tank fittings
I would like a little more advice please - I am struggling in interpreting the instructions for fitting a metal fuel tank into the back of a 110 chassis.

I took the original tank out 4 years ago, and don't remember how it was attached under all the muck and rust.

Click image to enlarge

Looking at the old photos, it looks like it had rubber doughnuts on the front side:

Click image to enlarge

Fortunately you can buy a complete fitting kit, so one was ordered up.

Click image to enlarge

This is where things start to get interesting. The fitting instructions which came with the kit is the same picture as the parts catalogue. This is where things start to get interesting, as the diagrams on this parts diagram looks like its upside down as to how I would expect it to go - especially for the rear mounting.

Click image to enlarge

There is not a lot of space at the rear, so I assumed that the nut with the plate welded to it would drop down from inside the chassis rail.

The Haynes Manual is not much help. Section 33 (b) "Ensure that the washers and spacers are correctly positioned on the tank mounting bolts, as noted during removal". Big Cry My memory isn't that good!

Click image to enlarge

So, with my logic hat on, it looks like the front is a little more straight forward - bend the lock tabs over with the bolt inside:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and then drop into the holes from the top. I imagine that middle tab is also a lock tab to bend around the chassis mounting, to top the bracket lifting up when the tank is offered up?

Click image to enlarge

This kind of matches the workshop manual diagram:

Click image to enlarge

which looks like you then put a rubber doughnut, then the tank bracket, then another rubber doughnut, followed by the penny washer, spring washed and finally the nut?

The rear mounting is what is really perplexing me. There are no rubber doughnuts on the rear mounting, which should simplify things.

The parts catalogue shows the nut+welded tab unit coming in from the bottom. Surely this cannot be right, as you would need to get a spanner on the nut within the chassis rail, which would be extremely difficult to do.

When I dropped it in from the top, I was surprised to find that it can still 'spin' within the chassis rail. I had assumed the square welded plate was intended to stop that.
The large threaded square is referred to as a 'spacer' in the parts catalogue. With all the weight of the tank pulling down on the bracket, I did wonder if it was supposed to fit like this:

Click image to enlarge

and dropped down from inside the rear chassis rail. The workshop manual seems to indicate (assuming the 'spacer' is the shaded box) that it fits under the chassis rail, like so:

Click image to enlarge

but then you can't spin it on as its a close fit to the lip on the chassis rail. I did manage to get it on far enough where I could spin the bolt inside the chassis rail, as shown here:

Click image to enlarge

Can anyone confirm if this the correct way round of fitting? I don't really understand the point of the threaded spacers, other than to make it more challenging to fit the parts.

Its one of these jobs I just want to do the once, as being a larger tank, its not the lightest thing to lift in and out of the space.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers! 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #878081 12th Jan 2021 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1