↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Indicator stalk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SimonDavies

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zambezi Silver
Indicator stalk
My indicator stalk is playing up and needs replacing. Does anyone know who manufacturers the stalk for land rover?
Has anyone renewed theirs with an aftermarket product and been satisfied?
I have had some poor quality aftermarket parts recently and just want to get a 'fit and forget' stalk from the start.
Post #883271 5th Feb 2021 12:42am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you read this, https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74230...indicators as the problem may be the hazard switch not the indicator stalk.
Post #883274 5th Feb 2021 1:57am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Have a spare one on the shelf from Lucas. Can have a look for the part number if you wish.
Post #883299 5th Feb 2021 8:52am
SimonDavies

Ianh wrote:
Have you read this, https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74230...indicators as the problem may be the hazard switch not the indicator stalk.

I hadn't seen that post but it is not the fault I am having, I should have mentioned in my original post.
Mine is more annoying than an actual fault - the stalk will self cancel as I am making the turn, rather than when straightening the wheel after.
Post #883300 5th Feb 2021 9:03am
SimonDavies

tookaphotoof wrote:
Have a spare one on the shelf from Lucas. Can have a look for the part number if you wish.

Thanks There are a couple of Lucas units for sale and that is most likely what I will buy. I just wanted to see if anyone the OE make.
Post #883301 5th Feb 2021 9:04am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
SimonDavies wrote:
I hadn't seen that post but it is not the fault I am having, I should have mentioned in my original post.
Mine is more annoying than an actual fault - the stalk will self cancel as I am making the turn, rather than when straightening the wheel after.

This is very common, unfortunately. I've seen it on both old and brand new switches and there's no obvious cause. Whilst trying to track this down a few years ago I came across something that suggested that the rotating part of the mechanism could be 'reset' by turning the wheel from lock to lock but I never had any lasting luck with it. My current 110 does it when turning left and I find that if I hold the stalk down past the click whilst turning then it behaves itself for a while but still returns eventually. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #883304 5th Feb 2021 9:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The original manufacturer is Lucas (well known as the "Prince of Darkness"). The Lucas units are not particularly good, but there are pattern parts which are significantly worse.

I am not aware of any difference other than price between a Landrover Genuine Parts (white box) Lucas switch, and a Lucas branded (green box) switch.
Post #883340 5th Feb 2021 12:16pm
SimonDavies

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
SimonDavies wrote:

This is very common, unfortunately. I've seen it on both old and brand new switches and there's no obvious cause. Whilst trying to track this down a few years ago I came across something that suggested that the rotating part of the mechanism could be 'reset' by turning the wheel from lock to lock but I never had any lasting luck with it. My current 110 does it when turning left and I find that if I hold the stalk down past the click whilst turning then it behaves itself for a while but still returns eventually.

Yep, this is the fault. The stalk itself has quite a bit of free play in it aswell.
It's one of those annoying niggles.
Post #883346 5th Feb 2021 12:42pm
SimonDavies

blackwolf wrote:
The original manufacturer is Lucas (well known as the "Prince of Darkness"). The Lucas units are not particularly good, but there are pattern parts which are significantly worse.

I am not aware of any difference other than price between a Landrover Genuine Parts (white box) Lucas switch, and a Lucas branded (green box) switch.

Many thanks Blackwolf
Post #883347 5th Feb 2021 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1