↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Military Discount 0% - Student Discount 15%
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Military Discount 0% - Student Discount 15%
Could'nt believe it today when i was out shopping with one of my family who is in the Army. no where could he get any discount but loads in some places if you were a student.

this can't be right, surely our serving men and women who are literally on the front line at times deserve discount at least equal to students.

also i could not believe the amount of money he has to spend on essential basic equipment, all practical stuff.

what say you our military forum members? BM52
Post #82688 30th Jul 2011 7:52pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I think he was lucky they didn't put a 15% increase on things. There are a few places that give good discounts:

Moto services (about 20-30% discount)- This is everything in the station inc Burger king etc
Domino's Pizza (Between 25-50% discount!!)- All stores are different- only on pick-up.
Millets, Blacks and other outdoor stores will normally do a discount.

I am mostly dissapointed with:

Alton Towers.
Cinemas.

It is very bad how we do soo much and contribute to the country and get nothing where students who don't get everything on a silver platter.

I have traveled all over the world and seen how countries treat their armed forces (and foreign forces). When traveling through the USA I would ring up a hotel and ask fr a room for the night:

Hotel: 'Hello...... hotel, how can I help?'
Me: 'Hello, do you have a room for the night?'
Hotel: 'Yes sir, we have rooms starting at $50'
Me: 'Do you do millitary discount?'
Hotel: 'Yes sir we can do the room for $25'

and that goes for everything else including free entry into theme parks, complimentary drinks with meals etc. UK needs to get a grip.

As for personal kit- I know what you mean. The kit supplied now is getting better and you could probably get by with just issued kit..... but at the end of the day how can you be the best at your job with just 'adequate' equipment... I have about an additional £1000 of kit just in my tool box which just makes it easier for me to do all the jobs I need to.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #82690 30th Jul 2011 8:05pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Re: Military Discount 0% - Student Discount 15%
bm52 wrote:
Could'nt believe it today when i was out shopping with one of my family who is in the Army. no where could he get any discount but loads in some places if you were a student.

this can't be right, surely our serving men and women who are literally on the front line at times deserve discount at least equal to students.

also i could not believe the amount of money he has to spend on essential basic equipment, all practical stuff.

what say you our military forum members?

I think the guys and girls should get the kit they need provided - i bought a mate who went out to afgan last year some kit as it was shocking.

But as for discount - why? I know this might be unpopular - but its a job of work, paid for (however well or not), why that attracts discount? Yes they go out and get shot at (so to do other people) but if they didnt want that career then simple dont join.

And before anyone goes off - blah blah heros, blah blah - im equally sadened when a military person is needlessly killed and doesnt have all the gear - or the underhand tactics of the enemy destroys the guys either partially (eg loosing a leg) or the families by killing them...its beyond a shame - as its always been in every war/conflict.

To add some persective, when i had finished my pilot licences, i toyed with the RAF, went down the route and decided not only wasnt it for me (but i also didnt want to redo my flight training). I knew i wouldnt want to be in any of the services, so i didnt join...just like i wouldnt want to do a lot of things.

On students - student discount is for a number of reasons, one to help them out when they have no job, fees etc etc

Plus any company its down to them, but anyone could then get discount for doing their job. Personally i think the Ambulance service - the actual paramedics and technicians in the ambulance, car, bike etc are the best out of all of them and do one of the most difficult jobs, get rubbish pay and a hard time...but they dont get the discount (save for somewhere like dominos)
everywhere

maybe this should be in the grumpy thread Mike
Post #82720 31st Jul 2011 9:09am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Re: Military Discount 0% - Student Discount 15%
mse wrote:

On students - student discount is for a number of reasons, one to help them out when they have no job, fees etc etc

Plus any company its down to them, but anyone could then get discount for doing their job. Personally i think the Ambulance service - the actual paramedics and technicians in the ambulance, car, bike etc are the best out of all of them and do one of the most difficult jobs, get rubbish pay and a hard time...but they dont get the discount (save for somewhere like dominos)
everywhere

maybe this should be in the grumpy thread

I do agree with a lot of that....... I am in the Army because I love my job (and they let me play with firearms Twisted Evil )- I could earn between three to four times as much if I were to leave and do other work, but would I enjoy it as much?

I believe that anyone who provides a service for their country should be considered for discounts etc. In Canada they give people who work for the state money back each month to say thank you for their work.

Students.... don't work.... blah blah blah.... my heart is bleeding for them- again it is THEIR choice to be a student- I am not making them do it. I also don't know any students that live in little dingy holes and eat beans on toast every day...... The majority of students in non-city universities now have nice cars etc.

Rant over, lol.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #82726 31st Jul 2011 9:42am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
I think they should just drop the price for everybody Very Happy Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #82735 31st Jul 2011 11:22am
Barry

United Kingdom 
I agree mse , I thought long and hard about the RAF but things took me a different route

Like any job it is not just the pay to be considered , I could get alot more for what I do but the company I am with allows alot of flexibility as well as I can work from home - which is worth a lot to me.

We all work for the country , without the rest of us there would be no forces or they would have to be self funding. 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
2008 Discovery 3 XS Auto (Gone)
1997 Discovery ES Auto 300TDI (Traded in on a flat bed)
Post #82737 31st Jul 2011 11:55am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Barry wrote:
We all work for the country , without the rest of us there would be no forces or they would have to be self funding.
Guns for hire...now theres a thought Shocked Mike
Post #82754 31st Jul 2011 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1