↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another Puma Insurance issue-Direct Line don't like Snorkels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Moles

United Kingdom 
Another Puma Insurance issue-Direct Line don't like Snorkels
Just thought I would share.
Have both my Defender 110 (2015) and Disco3 with Direct Line.
Been great, even had a claim on the 110 and the hire car was another 110:)

So, added a few things to the policy over the past 2 years, including roof rack, Lightbar etc.
Just as well, as on the 110 claim the ladder was damaged and they replaced no worries.

Anyhow, my wife got me a Safari Snorkel for Christmas, just fitted today.
So phoned them up to tell them, and they tell me that they won't insure it with it fitted - no reason other than their underwriter said no.

Surprising this, and now have the pain of finding new insurance....

Cheers,
Post #876296 4th Jan 2021 8:40pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’d say first port of call should be A Plan. Snorkel and all sorts of other mods made not much difference. Important to me, they are pleasant to deal with. I’ve never claimed so can’t comment on that side of things.

By the same token, I wouldn’t deal with Adrian Flux again even if they were paying me. Odious staff. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 4th Jan 2021 9:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #876301 4th Jan 2021 8:59pm
kenzle8a

I’m with NFU, they were great with all the mods and mine is covered for business and off road use etc.
Post #876302 4th Jan 2021 9:07pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I’m with NFU as well, not necessarily the cheapest but all mods declared including performance related items no issues. Only thing they questioned was the diff lockers as they didn’t know what they were.
Post #876309 4th Jan 2021 9:42pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Problem Insurance Brokers..... I had problems with Carole Nash, last March when they auto renewed my policy after I notified them that I had sold a vehicle on a multi vehicle policy, and I also advised them that I didn’t want to proceed with the renewal on the remaining vehicle. They completely ignored the instruction and auto renewed it.....

They refused to refund me saying that because the policy had two vehicles on, it was cheaper to include a vehicle I didn’t own on the policy rather than just the one I did, and because I hadn’t taken any policy out with another company on my remaining sorn vehicle I’d unknowingly had the benefit of insurance cover. How crazy is that!

After listening to many transcripts the insurance ombudsman and Norwich Union soon told them the errors their ways. But I still had a fight to get my money out of them to the extent that Norwich Union refunded me directly. When I did eventually get a partial refund Norwich Union allowed me to keep it as a goodwill gesture. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #876316 4th Jan 2021 10:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I'm with A Plan and they had no problem with all my mods, including the BAS remap and intercooler. Performance increases seemed fairly hard to get cover for with the usual big names.

I wonder if fitting a snorkel makes the underwriter think you intend to drive it in deep water? I can imagine that would get them excited.
Post #876325 4th Jan 2021 10:31pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
I’ve had really good experiences with A Plan too. Decent staff and good cover - they gave me 1000 of business miles for free, should I need to use the truck for work (I normally rent a little Censored box if I have to drive anywhere for work). 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #876366 5th Jan 2021 10:44am
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
+1 for A Plan. They take all mods in their stride and have improved the deals we had on our other vehicles too.
Post #876369 5th Jan 2021 10:49am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Direct line are useless. Referred to a half cage on my old 90 as bumpers on the roof. Also couldnt understand what spotlights where.... Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #876374 5th Jan 2021 11:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm sure that others on this forum have reported the Direct Line/RAI problem before.

It is hard to understand why it should be an issue, but presumably the underwriter has some statistics to suggest that having an RAI makes the driver a bad risk.
Post #876380 5th Jan 2021 12:31pm
roche1800

I am with the NFU!
Post #877470 10th Jan 2021 3:08pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
When i used to work as an account manager on the commercial side for a French Insurance company i got to see a number of those 'call centre' style of brokers.

First thing to note compared to a traditional high street style of broker is the shear size and number of people working there, the second is the ages of those working on the phones, school leavers to 25 year old on average. As such it is a transient job market (or was at the time).

As such these call centres use their own quotation systems, approved by the Insurance companies, that allow the operator to ask questions and enter the answer - this means there is no room for anything outside of the box.

Within the call centres there are a number of teams with a team leader sitting close. They would have two screens, one with the annual sales target, broken down to monthly, daily, hourly and by individual. The second screen is so the team leader can dial in to an individual phone and computer to see what they are doing, and give ongoing help / training.

The team leaders and call handlers would not be expected to do the insurance exams - the quotation system signed off by the insurance companies is deemed to be sufficient (you dont have to pay the staff as much either)

As these call centres generally work with the Insurance companies on a three year profit / loss basis the further into a deal the lower the commissions due to claims pay outs. Not unusual for a call centre to move the entire book of business to another Insurance Company to give both an increase in earnings and a sales hit for the IC.

Lower commissions means that the call centre wants as little to do with the client as possible, time is money (hence some charge an admin fee). so to answer your question i very much doubt if the question regarding the raised air intake ever got to the qualified underwriter for the chosen Insurance Company. And certainly they would not have phoned round other Insurance companies either. The 'Team Leader' would rather the call handler answers calls and takes credit card numbers.

Direct Line, when i was a little more involved only use one Insurance Company and that was New India who eventually dropped them due to losses, no idea who they use these days.

Online is even worse as those sorting out their insurance may not always know the consequences of how they answer questions. For example when online quoting was just starting one Insurance i knew could see when the user had pressed back from the original quote, changed this, changed that and then paid the new premium.

The system allows the quote and the paperwork but in the event of a claim the Insurance company would use that to investigate the claim further.

The other example are the disclaimer questions at the beginning of a quotation. answer any yes and you cannot go further, so some people answer no to at least get a quotation and a cover note.

Back in the early days of Dictaphones and a typing pool working at a brokers we were told not to quote car insurance for Nigerians living in London, driving Peugot 405's doing excessive annual mileage. They would take the paper cover note, not pay the remaining premiums then remove the ink by putting battery acid on it then rewriting the cover note dates.....

Ive used the NFU for over twenty years now, i just wouldn't ever use a call centre or online quotation system.

Sorry for the long winded reply but the above was my observations at the time and the Little Britain 'Computer Says Noooo' sketch runs true here as these companies are designed for fast call turnarounds with a credit card as the preferred outcome. Anything out of the ordinary or causes work is not wanted.
Post #877536 10th Jan 2021 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1