↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Britannia Range Oven Electrics - Help Neede...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Britannia Range Oven Electrics - Help Neede...
Hello,

Any electrical or oven engineers (or even better Britannia service engineers) out there? My oven switch exploded last night. I’ve taken it apart and can see clear burning, plus some long-term degradation of the connector covers (brown and brittle). I’ve added some photos below, can anyone offer any advice? I cannot see a clear short, or any frayed wires that might be touching, or excessive grease in the switch that might act as a conductor. So, any ideas? I’m inclined to just buy a new switch and be done with it, which obviously I’m chuffed about as being post-Brexit it’ll be a right balls-ache getting it shipped from the UK.

Thanks as always in advance:

Switch (Main oven settings switch, not on/off/temp which is a separate switch)

Click image to enlarge

Burnt/brown/degraded fuses. This is where I saw the flash, heard the pop, smelt the smoke.

Click image to enlarge

Example of degraded connector cover. Note that the most browned is the grey-wired connector which goes to the oven so must be a ‘setting’ wire. However, the other two wires (four connectors that are browned in total), one blue, one brown, go to/from the clock and timer. However, it is one of the brown connectors which seems (as you can see below) to have been the one to actually explode. Note that this model seems to have some kind of cut off live feed in the clock. If we switch power off at the mains and back on, then the oven will NOT work until the clock is set.

So, brown seems to have exploded, grey looks worst long-term condition, and the others are pretty bad and were very brittle as well. Short in th clock? New clock required?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Area where the switch is sited. Could burning be from some long-term smouldering rather than just the mini-explosion?

Click image to enlarge

And here’s the earth. I’m assuming this should be replaced as well?

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #876373 5th Jan 2021 11:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1