↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Whats gone wrong??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Danny Fireblade

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
Whats gone wrong??
I have a centre console that was in the land rover when I purchased it. In the console there are 2 sets of USB chargers, A cigarette lighter, a voltage reader that takes its feed off the lighter positive, and a screen for the reversing camera, which also takes its positive feed from the positive input to the lighter.

So yesterday the screen for the reversing camera stopped working, then later on the readout for the voltage went from a steady 12-13v down to 4.19 and carried on dropping. Today none of the usb/lighter/screen or voltage reader works? I have plugged the voltage reader into a small 12v battery and it read 11.7v so I am guessing there is something going on somewhere?

Ive followed the positive wire back to the fuse board and the fuse is fine, but thats as far as I got before light started to go?

Any ideas what it could be? I have plugged a volt meter into the input for the voltage reader and got a little over 2v?

Thanks in advance.
Post #875668 1st Jan 2021 3:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Likely to be a grounding issue. Test from a good ground ideally the battery negative then to the live of the devices your testing.
If it suddenly shows good voltage your know it’s grounding issues.

If it doesn’t then it might be a broken live circuit or high resistance connections. I.e. loose or dirty or both.
A lot of Defender issues are grounding and often caused by vibration in use.

You can also continuity test the live had ground feeds too, however, make sure the live is disconnected and isolated first.
If you get a high resistance reading then you will then be closer to tracking down the fault and locating it.

Voltage testing is helpful, but continuity tests can help you pinpoint the problem exactly.

I am presuming you have a Multimeter? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #875671 1st Jan 2021 4:03pm
Danny Fireblade

I do have a multimeter however my knowledge of using it is limited to say the least Crying or Very sad

I have seen a loose wire inside which could be a ground, however that has been like that for quite some time and this has only just started to happen?

I will have another dig around, see if I can trace the positive and negative for all involved back to a single point and see if there are any loose or disconnected wires anywhere? It is a bit like spaghetti in there though so that will be fun Big Cry Big Cry
Post #875677 1st Jan 2021 4:23pm
Danny Fireblade

Well I managed to get this sorted today. After checking the input to everything was as it should be I concluded (with Steve's guidance and advice of course), that it must be a bad earth Whistle

So instead of doing the sensible things and tracing the earth back and cleaning it up, I just made a new earth for all the things that were affected and bingo, everything is working again Very Happy

Thanks Steve, appreciate the reply and advice Thumbs Up
Post #875978 2nd Jan 2021 10:32pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Excellent, great that you have everything working again. Now you have a solution and everything is working again try and find the original fault if you can for a proper final repair. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #875981 2nd Jan 2021 10:45pm
Danny Fireblade

Yeah I will be tracing back and trying to find the original earth fault when the weather is a little warmer Thumbs Up

Thanks again Steve.
Post #876342 4th Jan 2021 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1