↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma 2.2 Starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cyplandy

Cyprus 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Java Black
Puma 2.2 Starting problems
Firstly, thank you for having me on the forum, secondly I'm not mechanically minded so dont get upset if I ask what appear to be stupid questions.

I've had a problem with my 2014 2.2 Defender crew cab for about 12 months and no one here in Cyprus can solve it.

When I bought the car it had an ECU upgrade which caused me no end of yellow limp mode lights so I had the ECU reprogrammed. Now at the time the ignition switch was also temperamental and would sometimes lock. When teh garage returned the car from its reprogramming they said my ignition was kapput and would only fire up on the second turn, on the first the starter motor is trying hard but no joy. They said I needed a new ignition switch which would solve the problem, so got one fitted and still no joy. I've now taken it to a different mechanic with better diagnostics and they have said the fuel pressure doesnt appear to be reaching correct level on first turn of key but they still dont know what the cause is! Its also just had a new starter motor and the battery is fine.

Appreciate any advice from someone who has had a similar problem and found the solution.
Post #874769 27th Dec 2020 9:55am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Hello Cyprus Landy.

Firstly I think it was a good decision to change garage. I cannot understand how an ignition switch would only work on the 2nd try.

About the fuel pressure, there is a schrader valve (just so that you understand similare to tyre valve where you inflate it off) on top of one of the fuel lines, in passenger side. Usually there is a green screw on cover. Did the garage read that pressure (fuel pump pressure) or did they read the common rail pressure, perhaps through the diagnostic tool?

Here is a good video on how the fuel system works:

Would highly recommend getting a cheap obd interface such as ELM237, Bluetooth or Wifi and an app on your phone so can read codes yourself. I had one time a strange case that the 2.2 died and left me stranded. Root cause never understood, but I just cleared the DTC errors and it sprang back into life. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #874787 27th Dec 2020 1:15pm
Cyplandy

Cyprus 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Java Black
They bought in and used LR software, I don't think they know if that is the actual problem. It's pretty frustrating but you have to appreciate that we dont have the mechanical resources here as in the UK. So far I've been slowly replacing parts in order to fix (Iknow this is not the best solution!!) Anyway they are now saying they are going to reload the programme to the ECU which sounds like a logical approach? Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it!
Post #874792 27th Dec 2020 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1