Home > Off Topic > Wood burning stove
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
Wood burning stove
Anyone fit or know much about these?

I've seen one I fancy it's about £600, and my local shop wants £2,500 to supply & fit it!

That's a lot of money to install & fit a flexible flue liner.
Post #259487 17th Aug 2013 10:18pm
ttuck3r

Scotland 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I know i was quoted the same to fit my wood burner, so i got everything i needed and waited for a good weekend and fired (pun) into it, did all the prep work friday evening after work, saturday saw the stainless flexy flue and top hat installed, the hearth i made myself out of an old kitchen work top by sunday morning i was testing and firing up the box slowly to temp fire sealers..

sorry the pic is kak
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #259496 17th Aug 2013 10:54pm
mattlab

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
if its about a 6mtr liner, top and registry plate should be about £1200 if its a straight forward install. LIFE`S TOO SHORT TO DRIVE A BORING VEHICLE
Post #259497 17th Aug 2013 10:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
walfy

Can't remember the make or model of our new burner but it cost about 2K to supply and fit. I laid the hearth, sourced some nice slate from Waleshire. Fitted the hearth and then had the burner fitted after I left to go away with work.
Plus I know it complys with current rules and regs. And I have some nice paperwork to prove it 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #259535 18th Aug 2013 7:44am
Nick T

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I have just fit an Esse 200. Very happy with it. Shop around for flexible liner!!!
Post #259561 18th Aug 2013 9:40am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Just going through this exact process but it is made worse by living in a listed building plus no chimney Big Cry

Stove we hope to get is about £1200, twin wall flue from stove out through roof etc (had to be powder coated black to get through listed building consent) plus all other bits, slate hearth etc etc comes to almost £2000 Shocked and about £800 to fit.

Couple of things to watch out for. If it is not fitted by a Hetas registered fitter you will need Building Control sign off (almost £300 in Somerset) - Hetas fitters supply a compliance form in the fitting charge. Having had a long discussion with BC about this if you do not have sign off it can invalidate your house insurance. You also need sign off when you come to sell your house. These regs came in during 2010.

We found that the flue or flexible chimney liner works out to be the most expensive component.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #259573 18th Aug 2013 10:15am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
CPM services from Horley is a good mate of mine. He currently has my Defender parked on his drive while on holiday. He supplies and fits fireplaces and stoves. We have had two Firebelly's off him and he is a real perfectionist.

http://www.cpmservices.co.uk/

Ask for Chris the boss and tell him Simon sent you. He is in Surry but fits all counties in the south and will do you a deal for sure. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #259574 18th Aug 2013 10:18am
zahy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I was initially quoted £1500 to install incl the liner and flexi pipe without the stove !!, the funny thing is that all quotes I received I was told that I needed the liner despite the fact I have a working open fireplace. But all said the liner is required by law Incl the pipe (8 meters ) to run all the way from the stove up in my chimney

that turned out to be a big lie, I called my council who sent out a build reg inspector who had a look at my open fireplace and confirmed that I only need to run a test to confirm that the chimney dosenot leak and the requirement for the register plate thats all, and the building reg do not require a liner and the rest which increases the price dramatically

It ended up costing me about £600 to fit including the register plate 2mtr pipe and elbow with a HETAS certificate.

I bought the stove a new through eBay costing under £300 very heavy cast iron 2.2 90 XS
Post #259584 18th Aug 2013 10:54am
shaun6

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I am in the process of having one fitted, this involves removing a wooden beam in the inglenook and replacing with a concrete lintel and re-plastering. Cost £3k plus £450 for the scaffold and £45 for the sweep. Details below:--

To remove existing wooden beam and replace with a pre stressed concrete lintel. This will be set at a raised height which will be achieved using brick work. The new brick work and lintel will be rendered. To supply and install into existing opening a Hunter Herald 8 slim line multi fuel stove with single door and black door knob. To flue off the top of the stove using single skin rigid flue pipe with sweeping access. After a vertical height the flue will angle at forty five degrees towards the chimney before connecting to the liner. This rigid flue will be supported using wall bands. The flue will be taken up through a galvanised steel registry plate. Your chimney will be lined using 316 grade flexible liner. This will connect at the top of the chimney using a suspending cowl, terracotta in colour and with bird guard. The liner will connect at the base of the chimney using an appropriate adapter. A Carbon Monoxide alarm will be fitted within the same room as the stove to comply with current regulations. On completion of the installation you will be provided with a HETAS Certificate of Compliance together with a Notice Plate. Cost - £2943.00, inclusive of vat.
A scaffold will be required to gain access to install the chimney liner. I have asked a scaffolder we have used on several occasions, to conduct a site visit. He will then be able to provide you with an independent quotation for the scaffold to be erected. Quoted £450.

Regards

Shaun
Post #259590 18th Aug 2013 11:31am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Got a Westfire...looks like this:

Instealled it myself because the builder wouldn't do it. The flue is a stainless one, and it did cost a lot...IIRC we paid over £2k all-in, and that was self-installing.

It is pretty easy to do tho...took an afteroon Thumbs Up

Hardest parts were making the plasterboard good (and tidy), making the hole in the roof, and carrying it over a new oak floor... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #259772 19th Aug 2013 8:14am
keith

Scotland 
ESSE for me just last yr . Total bill was also £3000. . An open coal fire only 25% of heat comes out the other 75 goes up the chimney . In this iron stove its 75% outputs and only 25 % up the lum . Very efficient , warm and great to make Whistle in front of . Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
. Sorry about image
Post #259784 19th Aug 2013 9:17am
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
Your bird has great legs Laughing
Post #259863 19th Aug 2013 1:15pm
keith

Scotland 
Feet up , Indian takeaway and the bill for a new cylinder head looming .

Click image to enlarge
Post #428634 4th Jun 2015 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1