Home > Td5 > Driver Demand Fault Defender 2006
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MoosiMoosi

Austria 2006 Defender 110 2.5 TD SW Alaska White
Driver Demand Fault Defender 2006
Hi All,

I am reaching out to you as I have a "driver demand problem" with my Defender TD5 2006.
Myself and all the guys I know tried their best to solve the problem but we failed. By the way I am from Austria and I thought, Ok lets contact the pros from the UK now. Also sorry for my english I am not a native. Smile

Whats my Problem? My defender has a driver demand fault and the check engine light is shown in the dash (limp mode of course too)
I have this problem for more than a year now and it comes and goes. The first time the problem appeared was begin of this year after car wash.
What have I done to solve the problem so far:

- Bought a pedal and replaced the old one.
- Checked the wiring loom from the pedal to the ECU (all good. Data readings via nanocom make perfectly sense - even when the fault is current. Readings are fine Shocked )
- Checked the Clutch switch (as far as I know this switch has an influence on the driver demand)
- Replaced the MAF sensor. As the air filter was wet (filter box not closed Embarassed ). Thought thats the root cause of the problem. Nope.
- Cleaned and checked the earths.
- Fuel filter replaced 3 times in the meanwhile...

This week the "Driver Demand Fault" came up 2 times. First time I was driving in heavy snow. No problems during driving. Engine runs well and smooth. Parked the car in my carport. Tried to drive to work the next day in the morning "Driver Demand Fault".
Today in the morning the same. Yesterday night I went to the car wash again. So it looks like the water get to some wires/looms or switch over night.

I need to highlight that the check engine light is immediately on in the dash. I do not even need to start the engine.
Turn the key to ignition to activate the glow plugs. Check engine light goes out and after 2 seconds the check engine light is back on. Of course i tried to delete the faults with the Nanocom. Fault is back in the ECU immediately. Still I can start the engine and it runs perfectly fine. Also I checked the readings from the other sensors with the nanocom - looks nice to be honest.

- Does anyone know what kind of sensors and switches the ECU checks before even firing up the engine? I think already there my problem starts.
- Could it still be the wiring from the pedal to the ECU? Although I do not even touch the pedal and the engine is not runninga and the Nanocom readings are fine? Is there a kit available for these wires?
- ECU by itself? But why only when cold and wet outside? (By the way the ECU is dry and no oil in it)
- Crankshaft sensor? Is it checked yb the ECU even before firing up? Engines runs smooth when started.
- Transfer Box? If wet outside sometimes the diff lock light comes up in the dash? LO Hi range switch? How to check that?
- I checked and cleaned the earths too.
- Fuel pump? Could that trigger a driver demand fault before starting the engine? The pump is a bit noisy but I do not have a comparison. So I do not know what kind of noise level is OK.

Last week the problem solved itself. Means I came back from work and the fault was gone and everything was fine.

Thank you and greeting from an despaired Austrian,
Lukas

Last edited by MoosiMoosi on 21st Dec 2020 12:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #873970 21st Dec 2020 12:45pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I'd try the MAF sensor again.

Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #873973 21st Dec 2020 12:53pm
dorsetsmith

also have your fuel presser checked shooed be 4 bar

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 21st Dec 2020 3:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #873976 21st Dec 2020 1:29pm
MoosiMoosi

Thanks for your help.
Will check the MAF again.
Probably a stupid question, whats the easiest way to check the 4 Bar of fuel pressure? Embarassed
Post #873987 21st Dec 2020 3:07pm
dorsetsmith

have look at link

not easiest but

Post #873989 21st Dec 2020 3:44pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Did you look into the ECU? Are you sure, it is it is bone dry inside? Board in ECU is protected by some silicone cover, but it is not always 100% on all board, mainly on the board edges the coverage is thinner.
According to schematics in RAVE, there is a header 0291 in the wires between ECU and throttle pedal. Locate it and check for corrosion or any other problem - I have seen this headers coroded and/or melted.
Easy to test - try another engine ECU. I have seen broken components inside, some only partially make the ECU unstable/unpredictable. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #873994 21st Dec 2020 3:58pm
dorsetsmith

Had

Driver Demand 1 Fault on my Defender 2006 two week ago no limp mod no engine lamp and only DTC loge in ecu and clear the thing i have find so far turbo wastegate stuck open by 1/16 and 3.8 bar fuel pump only to 3.4 bar on load fuel presser gauge in post so i can contemn the readings and VDO fuel pump also o rings and clips to over hall the pump as i think me be failing to maintain 4bar with engine running and under load
Post #873996 21st Dec 2020 4:17pm
MoosiMoosi

MadTom wrote:
Did you look into the ECU? Are you sure, it is it is bone dry inside? Board in ECU is protected by some silicone cover, but it is not always 100% on all board, mainly on the board edges the coverage is thinner.
According to schematics in RAVE, there is a header 0291 in the wires between ECU and throttle pedal. Locate it and check for corrosion or any other problem - I have seen this headers coroded and/or melted.
Easy to test - try another engine ECU. I have seen broken components inside, some only partially make the ECU unstable/unpredictable.

Hmm just checked my Rave doc & the electrical troubelshooting manual. I couldnt find Header 0291. Sad
But that would make sense. Do you know where this header is located? Behind the Fascia?

Thanks for your help so far to all of you! Bow down

Lukas
Post #873998 21st Dec 2020 4:51pm
dorsetsmith

According to schematics in RAVE, there is a header 0291 in the wires between ECU and throttle pedal. ?

post 2002

Click image to enlarge

I couldnt find Header 0291. you will not as only find on 1999 to 2001 td5 defender wiring

Click image to enlarge
Post #874001 21st Dec 2020 5:30pm
MoosiMoosi

Ok guys, I think I solved it.
It looks like the problem is caused by the wiring loom from the pedal to the ECU.

Thats how I found the culprit:
- Ingition on
- I deleted the driver demand faults with my Nanocom.
- Ignition off
- Ignition on
- No faults yet in the ECU and no Check engine light in the dash!
- Turned on the Nanocom and recorded live data from ECU to an SD card
- Then I floored the throttle pedal very slow - No Fault
- I then disenganged the throttle pedal slowly -> fault back and Check engine light in the dash.

I then downloaded the live data from the Nanocom to my computer.
The first thing I did was checking the figures from the graphs where the fault came back on.

These are the readings from where the fault came back (I have the newer 3 Poti Pedal).
- Pot 1 = 1,190V
- Pot 2 = 3,977V
- Pot 3 = 4,534V
Power supply at the Pedal 5,020V

Blackbox solutions says that Pot 1 & Pot 2 needs to add up the to generel power supply at the pedal:
Pot 1 + Pot 2 = Power supply
1,190V + 3,977V = 5,167V (+/- 10% to 5,020V)
Also Blackbox says there is a tolerance of +/-10% for these figures to match the power supply value.
Try to add Poti 1 + Poti 3! Evil or Very Mad
= 5,724V more than 10% over the 5,020V power supply and thats causing the problem hence limp mode and check engine light.

From the Nanocom Blackbox website:
Throttle 1 volts: This shows the output voltage from driver throttle pedal potentiometer 1 as read by the TD5 ECU. The voltage reading increases as the throttle pedal is depressed. A fault will be recorded if the sum of the voltages of throttle 1 and throttle 2 do not add up to the throttle supply voltage + or - 10%
Throttle 2 volts: This shows the output voltage from driver throttle pedal potentiometer 2 as read by the TD5 ECU. The voltage reading decreases as the throttle pedal is depressed. A fault will be recorded if the sum of the voltages of throttle 1 and throttle 2 do not add up to the throttle supply voltage + or - 10%
Throttle 3 volts: This shows the output voltage from driver throttle pedal potentiometer 3 as read by the TD5 ECU. The 3 Track Throttle Potentiometer configuration is not used on all vehicles and was introduced at VIN Number YA288371 on a Discovery and 1A605426 on a Defender. The selection may be configured in the settings section.
Throttle supply volts: This shows the regulated supply voltage for the driver throttle pedal potentiometers. The sum of the voltages from driver throttle pots 1 and 2 at any throttle position must add up to within 10% of this voltage or a fault will be recorded.

Then I remebered that the Nanocom is able to set the ECU to the old 2 Pot pedal model.
I thought: hey if the third Pot plays up lets ignore it Razz
So I set my ECU to the old 2 Pot pedal.
FAULT GONE! Drove through my hometown without any driver demand fault.
To make it bullet proof I turned the ECU back to 3 Pots = Fault is immediately back.

Means I need to rewire the pedal to the ECU. I could even say the wire from pot 3 is somehow damaged and does not like any water or snow and this is causing the fault.
Does anyone know were I can order the wires or a kit to do the wires by my own?
Anyone out there with experience in rewiring these wires? Smile

Hope this helps Mr. Green
Greetings from Austria,
Lukas

Last edited by MoosiMoosi on 21st Dec 2020 11:22pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #874074 21st Dec 2020 10:00pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
You can just make your own loom up using a length of trailer wire as it has enough cores running through it. I can’t temper if I did a post on here when I did mine.
Post #874086 21st Dec 2020 10:41pm
dorsetsmith

try martin site admin for order the wires or a kit to do the wires by my own
Post #874088 21st Dec 2020 10:43pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Sounds the same or similar problem i had on my TD5,,

Change the loom,, Pedal plug on ebay or similar and trailer 7 core as Andy says,

My problem was a component in th ecu, send it away, checked ans has been fine for near 18 months now California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #874092 21st Dec 2020 10:53pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Yes I can supply terminals for both ends, entire plugs, cable etc Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #874096 21st Dec 2020 11:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
life was so much easier when cars had throttle cables,

it was never hard to diagnose when one of them was broken or sticking DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #874129 22nd Dec 2020 9:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>