↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Unusual Engineering Tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Unusual Engineering Tools
A close friend of the family passed away recently. He was toolmaker by trade, long since retired. His daughter asked me did I want his tools as they didn't know anyone "into DIY" and I dabble in a bit of metal work occasionally.

Most of the stuff is run of the mill DIY gear, but there a few bits and pieces left over from his working days that I thought some folk may find interesting and a few things you might be able to help be identify.

So, interesting tool no.1 is a junior hacksaw. Not really unusual except this one was hand made, probably when he was an apprentice 60 years ago.

Click image to enlarge

More to follow... 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #873158 15th Dec 2020 9:51pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That is great Thumbs Up

I made a junior hacksaw in metalwork at school in 1982. The handle was aluminium and was hand shaped. They are a brilliant metalwork training as there is shaping, bending, cutting and threading which are all useful skills for an engineer in training.

I would love to show you a picture of mine, but I haven’t a clue where it is 40 years on Sad

Mine was no where near as nice as that.
Post #873161 15th Dec 2020 10:02pm
Bluest

I love that it seems to have then been used for the decades after it was made too. I made a hand vise when I was learning. Machining, drilling and tapping, but no bending. Don't think I finished it Rolling Eyes

Tool no.2. looks like a big chisel, but has a square tip. I believe this is called a scraper that was used to put a hand finish on machined surfaces so that they would retain oil.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #873164 15th Dec 2020 10:16pm
csw110

United Kingdom 
In Metalwork & Woodwork in the 70's, made a name tag in metal, radius both ends, drilled & countersunk hole one end for soft iron wire to fasten it to next project that was an engineer square. In woodwork we first made a mallet, I can still remember cutting the mortice through 4" of beech, still got it ! Next was a bench hook and so on. Went on to work as technician in a secondary school for 37 years, when I started we taught woodwork, metalwork, motor vehicle maintainance, engineer & technical drawing. When I retired we taught Product design & Graphics. Sad
Post #873301 16th Dec 2020 6:04pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Tools are dangerous... so they cant be used any more....

When i was there - woodwork teacher would throw mallets at you if you were messing around...

These days he would be arrested if he did that.

We have gone all too PC
Post #873303 16th Dec 2020 6:16pm
csw110

United Kingdom 
I know somebody who would chain pupils to the work bench if they wandered around the workshop. Whistle Whistle
Post #873314 16th Dec 2020 7:41pm
Rashers

People pay good money these days for a service like that Rolling with laughter

I feel for kids these days. The GCSE was the beginning of the end for Metal Work, Wood Work and Technical Drawing sadly.

Our Technical Drawing Classroom Door was right next to the Woodwork Room circular saw. We didn’t have risk assessments or methods of safe working. It was easy. If the saw was making a shed load of noise, you didn’t walk out the door Laughing
Post #873315 16th Dec 2020 7:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Just came across this ~ Jubilee clip tool:

Click image to enlarge

I know there are similar tools available today, but I think they lack the flat blade/bar element shown on this original. Perhaps given the torque involved with a worm drive it's unnecessary; or maybe the fact that the picture seems to show the head of the screw as a plain circle rather than a hex head?

Anyone seen or got one of these?
Post #919293 31st Aug 2021 9:19am
Rashers

No, but what a brilliant tool, Supacat Thumbs Up I would buy one.

I am no fan of Jubilee Clips. One of the Guys I used to work with during me apprenticeship had a saying “You’ll never stop a drip, with a Jubilee Clip”.

I always struggle with a flat head screwdriver and using a socket and ratchet will sometimes strip the thread.

They are universally used still so they must be doing something right Rolling with laughter
Post #919297 31st Aug 2021 9:47am
Supacat

I try to use these whenever I'm swapping a Jubilee clip out, but I've not found them totally foolproof.

Click image to enlarge
Post #919319 31st Aug 2021 1:27pm
Bluest

Those Mikalor clamps seem to have a very narrow operating size range. I was going to buy some but I was worried I’d accidentally end up just outside the operating window and have to reorder. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #919322 31st Aug 2021 1:58pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
we stopped using Mikkalor clamps years ago as whilst very good they tend to concentrate the pressure on a certain area rather than uni formally.......

the likes of the "Murray" constant tension clamp is far superior and will hold far more pressure than any other we have used, like most things its actually a very simple design at its base but highly effective in operation

for normal installs I would tend to use a screwdriver type tool like this
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/nut-drivers...lsrc=aw.ds
Post #919346 31st Aug 2021 3:57pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
great stuff that! My grandad made his wooden work horse and tool box, he was a carpenter by trade. We had all his tools that he passed on to us, as he was not really able to use those anymore, Sadly most of it all fell into disrepair, and most ended up been scrapped. But that's what happens when someone just shove them anywhere etc. I had his tools in my room for a good number of years, until my dad decided they were better off in the wash house Rolling Eyes
Sad thing is when i was at school, metal work had just been phased out, wood work was starting to get phased out, it was all going graphics and business. Graphics mind, we did very little computer work, it was all hand drawing, using pens and crayons etc. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #919896 4th Sep 2021 2:10am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
People pay good money these days for a service like that Rolling with laughter

I feel for kids these days. The GCSE was the beginning of the end for Metal Work, Wood Work and Technical Drawing sadly.

Our Technical Drawing Classroom Door was right next to the Woodwork Room circular saw. We didn’t have risk assessments or methods of safe working. It was easy. If the saw was making a shed load of noise, you didn’t walk out the door Laughing

I think that may have been my school era that, my kid sister i don't think ever did anything like that at all. Then again 5 years later after i left, what i was learning in college, back in 2002 to 2006, they started teaching it in schools Rolling Eyes

Id love to learn metal, wood and electrical work Thumbs Up Knock up tools and jigs for jobs. Now its all Computers and computer games. Yeah i am a fan of computers, and studied it. Which was a massive mistake on my be half, we were told that's the thing to get into 20 years ago. Was it hell! we all said we should have gotten into a trade, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #919897 4th Sep 2021 2:17am
Supacat

I might be a few years out of date, but, have a look out for your local night schools/adult education courses.

I picked up a welding class, and having a few Landrover based projects managed to knock out a few simple things which made the learning that much more enjoyable.
Post #919901 4th Sep 2021 7:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>