↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Rear brake pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
Rear brake pads
Me and my dad have just changed the rear brakes on this, One had seized causing it to fail the mot, Anyway we put the replacement parts on, one of the passenger side pads was a right Censored to get it, We had to tap it in. Did the bleeding etc, and we got a smell of tyre burning, is there thinner pads for these? All got new calipers, and discs. We bought a replacement kit.
the pads are mintex, looked at the box and there as no part number on. The last thing is we knackered setup, it been off the road a few weeks, and mine is due for its mot, So want this one sorted before we can do a few things on mine. [/i] Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #873099 15th Dec 2020 7:26pm
Pugit666

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Measure a pad and compare to this:
https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/land-rover-defend...d-mdk0142/
That will give you your part number. Mine went on nicely.
Post #873151 15th Dec 2020 9:30pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Pads need to be a neat fit and if you had to resort to hammering them in then likley they are stuck in the caliper and now binding hence the smell.......

Occasionally you might need to dress the pad slightly to allow a nice fit
Post #873159 15th Dec 2020 9:56pm
Pugit666

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Was it the thickness of the pad wear material causing the issue, or the shape of the back part of it being tight in the calliper? On our civic, I’ve had to file away slightly on the back plate of the pad to get them to fit without jamming in the calliper.
Post #873163 15th Dec 2020 10:14pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Re: Rear brake pads
Procta wrote:
Me and my dad have just changed the rear brakes on this, One had seized causing it to fail the mot, Anyway we put the replacement parts on, one of the passenger side pads was a right Censored to get it, We had to tap it in. Did the bleeding etc, and we got a smell of tyre burning, is there thinner pads for these? All got new calipers, and discs. We bought a replacement kit.
the pads are mintex, looked at the box and there as no part number on. The last thing is we knackered setup, it been off the road a few weeks, and mine is due for its mot, So want this one sorted before we can do a few things on mine. [/i]

I've said things like this on a cycling forum in the past and been flamed for it, but here goes anyway....

PLEASE take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. Brakes are kind of safety critical and the fact you are asking if hammering in the new pads is wrong demonstrates that you shouldn't be working on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/dec/18/ukcrime

A reminder for us all about the importance of our vehicle tinkering!
Post #873172 15th Dec 2020 11:31pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
90 Dreamer wrote:
Pads need to be a neat fit and if you had to resort to hammering them in then likley they are stuck in the caliper and now binding hence the smell.......

Occasionally you might need to dress the pad slightly to allow a nice fit

funny thing is its just one of the pads, all 3 went in no bother. My dad thinks the bearings are not seated properly, So he is going to have a tighten down. I am suspecting is there too much paint on the caliper, causing the issue. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #873173 15th Dec 2020 11:34pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: Rear brake pads
[/quote]
I've said things like this on a cycling forum in the past and been flamed for it, but here goes anyway....

PLEASE take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. Brakes are kind of safety critical and the fact you are asking if hammering in the new pads is wrong demonstrates that you shouldn't be working on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/dec/18/ukcrime

A reminder for us all about the importance of our vehicle tinkering![/quote]

Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #873174 15th Dec 2020 11:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Pugit666 wrote:
Was it the thickness of the pad wear material causing the issue, or the shape of the back part of it being tight in the calliper? On our civic, I’ve had to file away slightly on the back plate of the pad to get them to fit without jamming in the calliper.

funny thing was, the pad number 2, on the other side of the disc, went in a treat. The other side went together with out a bother. So either the front part of the caliper has too much paint on, causing the problem. Or that the wheel bearings on that side needs a bit more tightening down, if that works spot on, if not we will have to strip it all down and have dress the pad, or the caliper. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #873177 15th Dec 2020 11:45pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
@procta. Lovely emoji, glad you are taking it seriously.
Post #873178 15th Dec 2020 11:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Procta wrote:
... Or that the wheel bearings on that side needs a bit more tightening down, if that works spot on, if not we will have to strip it all down and have dress the pad, or the caliper.

I'm afraid I find this observation disturbing. Shocked
Post #873181 15th Dec 2020 11:56pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I Like Old Skool wrote:
@procta. Lovely emoji, glad you are taking it seriously.

i am asking if people have had issues with stuff in the past. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Last edited by Procta on 16th Dec 2020 12:12am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #873184 15th Dec 2020 11:58pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Procta wrote:
... Or that the wheel bearings on that side needs a bit more tightening down, if that works spot on, if not we will have to strip it all down and have dress the pad, or the caliper.

I'm afraid I find this observation disturbing. Shocked

Tbh blackwolf, i am not sure if my dad has damaged something, because he was fannying about for about an hour maybe 2, for the sake of bolting on a caliper, even tried to fit the wrong one side, it was marked on the boxes what side goes where! He goes at things with out checking before hand, He was fannying about, as he couldnt get the rear bolts back in the caliper. When i came out and had a look, took me two mins to move the rear guard and pop the bolts in. So god knows what possbile damage he may have done before i came out, and not said anything. If you are not there keeping an eye on him, things do end up been a nightmare! The other side was spot on, and that was cause i was there the full time, same goes for my 300 TDI when we did the full setup, no bother at all. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #873185 16th Dec 2020 12:11am
Procta

United Kingdom 
fixed!! turned out to be the rear disc guard, and the rear seal. Rear disc guard was bolted in between the axle and caliper, which caused the thing to bind up. My dad hadnt tapped the rear seal down on the disc setup enough.
Took us about an hour ish all in, as we checked double checked everything. Thumbs Up
Great when you have another defender to use as a ref too Whistle Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #873281 16th Dec 2020 4:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Procta wrote:
Tbh blackwolf, i am not sure if my dad has damaged something, because he was fannying about for about an hour maybe 2, for the sake of bolting on a caliper, even tried to fit the wrong one side, it was marked on the boxes what side goes where! He goes at things with out checking before hand, He was fannying about, as he couldnt get the rear bolts back in the caliper. When i came out and had a look, took me two mins to move the rear guard and pop the bolts in. So god knows what possible damage he may have done before i came out, and not said anything. If you are not there keeping an eye on him, things do end up been a nightmare! The other side was spot on, and that was cause i was there the full time, same goes for my 300 TDI when we did the full setup, no bother at all.

I am completely in favour of people learning to work on their own cars, learning how they work, and learning the rudiments of "mechanicing", but when working on brakes I think you should supervise him more closely in future - they are fairly important in the safety department after all! Please be clear I mean no disrespect with this.

It is good that his mistake meant that the brakes could mot be assembled, hence you had to give him help. How much worse would it have been if he'd got them together in a non-functional way without realising there was a problem.

I do also know that it can be very difficult giving your dad advice (and I don't mean your dad, particularly, I mean any dad. Dad knows best, after all)!

Anyway, I am glad you are sorted without expense and without casualties.
Post #873282 16th Dec 2020 4:46pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
blackwolf, yeah i will have to keep an eye on him a lot more, Just to make sure things are going back together as they were. I always take pictures before, during and after. Even research before i tackle stuff etc.
We did rebuild a rover metro, which was very successful, and i learned a lot from it and from him. But that car was like a mini to work on.
Not sure what has changed with him, but ever since he got the defender, he just seems to just dive in, with out thinking. We learn from our mistakes, even though this was a very minor one, on our part. Still keeps us all on our toes.

I have had to advise him on a few things, before and yeah he has not liked it in the past. The clutch job, that had to be done twice, the 1st time he caused more work for us all, by having the car nearly 2 feet up in the air, the jacks were still maxed out etc. So the second time, he was told by me, to keep the thing on its four wheels, made life a lot easier when we put the box back in. So he has had an expensive lesson, by diving in and not thinking at all. He burnt the clutch out that he had fitted, again by not researching things before hand, like pedal adjustment, as he replaced the master cylinder. ( that was all it needed in the 1st place)

I think he tries to be like Edd China at times Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #873360 16th Dec 2020 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>