↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Batwing/Foxwing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Batwing/Foxwing
So,I thought I'd share my recent experience & views on the Batwing & Foxwing awnings.
First a little bit of the background to this.
I have had a 300Tdi 90 for the last 15 years,started out as a standard truck,built it into a full spec double winch equiped challenge truck.Then on to it's latest incarnation as an overland camper,with roof tent.& Foxwing awning.
I have been fancying doing a 110 poptop conversion for a couple of years,so after finding a suitable 110 & fitting an Alucab icarus,the time came to fit an awning.
Try as I might,I could not find any stockists with a RH Foxwing in the whole of Europe.So,looked for an alternative.The rhino rack Batwing came up....Looked very good in the reviews I read,plus it has a couple of features that the Foxwing doen't,namely the legs are integral & the storage for pegs & ropes is a little sac incorperated in the main bag.
So I ordered one form a company here in France.After a 6 week delivery it arrived,fitted it in a couple of hours....Happy days.
I hten drove out into the garden to put it up,see how it looked/worked.All good at this point.
Turned round to get the pegs to peg the legs down,what I can only describe as a slight breeze picked the whole thing up & folded it over the roof of the 110.To say I wasn't happy is a slight under statement. Evil or Very Mad
I have been using my Foxwing for the last 5 or 6 years sometimes in quite strong winds without the slightest problems.
The Rhino rack Batwing is very cheaply made,the main hinge is plastic,as are all the other jopints,hence it snapping so easily,the tubes are very thin steel so bend very easily......Totaly diferent to the Foxwing,all the joints & main hinge arer ally,as are the poles.Even the straps have nice strong plastic clips to secure them,unlike the Batwings Cheap velcro.
So....to sum up,if your looking for an awning,I would look else where than the Rhinorack Batwing.
Marc.
Post #872861 14th Dec 2020 3:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've been looking at self-supporting awnings so thanks for the feedback on one to avoid. I hope you get sorted with a decent replacement soon. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #872872 14th Dec 2020 3:34pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That's interesting to read. Only the other day someone was singing the praise of the Batwing to me (I have a Foxwing) so a contrasting view interesting. I've certainly been very pleased with my Foxwing, although the support and parts supply on the UK is in turmoil at the moment, but hopefully a new importer will soon step up and the situation will improve.

You may or may not be aware that the Series 2 Foxwing cover now also has storage for the poles and pegs, which is a big help. The S2 cover is a direct replacement for the original, and I have just bought one for mine.
Post #872875 14th Dec 2020 3:41pm
sharkey964

I'm currenyly on my 3rd cover for my Foxwing,as they tend to get ripped when forging through thick bushes.I sourced the last one through Brendan,(Adventure Overland)around 2 years ago,no internal storage in that one.....Maybee,when I replace it I'll be able to get a series 2.
The integral fold down poles would be aa good addition for the Foxwing.....
Marc
Post #872879 14th Dec 2020 4:11pm
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Found this via 'Fire to Fork' YouTube channel: - https://www.thebushcompany.com.au/awnings/ looks to be well made NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #872898 14th Dec 2020 6:09pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have had a foxwing for quite a few years and its used alot. faultless, but arent the hinges plastic on the later ones? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #872919 14th Dec 2020 7:45pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
That's interesting to read. Only the other day someone was singing the praise of the Batwing to me (I have a Foxwing) so a contrasting view interesting. I've certainly been very pleased with my Foxwing, although the support and parts supply on the UK is in turmoil at the moment, but hopefully a new importer will soon step up and the situation will improve.

You may or may not be aware that the Series 2 Foxwing cover now also has storage for the poles and pegs, which is a big help. The S2 cover is a direct replacement for the original, and I have just bought one for mine.

There still seems plenty advertised so whats the deal with the importer??
Post #872953 14th Dec 2020 10:16pm
sharkey964

jst wrote:
i have had a foxwing for quite a few years and its used alot. faultless, but arent the hinges plastic on the later ones?

I don't know about the later ones,mine is all ally,I have had it for 6 years & I bought it second hand.
Thumbs Up
Post #872965 14th Dec 2020 11:03pm
sharkey964

90 Dreamer wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

There still seems plenty advertised so whats the deal with the importer??

All the suppliers I contacted,including Brendan,(Adventure overland) had no stock,they all seem to be having dificulty getting them from Oz due to Covid.
Marc.
Post #872967 14th Dec 2020 11:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The current UK importer has stopped trading "temporarily", ostensibly due to Covid and relocation, however the word on the street is that he has retired. Most UK retailers are out of stock since the importer is not currently importing, and it turns out that a retailer called Norwich Camping and Leisure has bought much if not all of the stock from the erstwhile importer. NC&L is where I eventually tracked down the Series 2 Foxwing cover I needed.

Oztent in Australia is clearly well aware of the issues that UK customers are currently having and reading between the lines of the correspondence I have recently had with them I suspect that the UK importer situation is under review. Hopefully there will be good news soon.
Post #872970 14th Dec 2020 11:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1