↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 130's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Philip wrote:
Large three-row SUVs are a big deal in the US.

The big difference is that in the US they can build a three row SUV that has decent leg room and a full boot. Therefore making for a decent cross country family tourer.

The Defender 130 makes a better 5 seater with better storage space or quite frankly yet another overly expensive 5 + 2 with no room for anything (including the dog).

I cant see the Americans getting overly excited when there are more local options without the premium price tag, less adaptable and JLR's reliability reputation.

Will be nice to see it though.

Last edited by markb110 on 8th Mar 2021 10:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #890018 8th Mar 2021 10:28pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Thinking about the length I guess if they sling the wheel under then the overall length of the 130 wont be that much more than the 110 and its rear mounted spare. Shouldn't be too much for the UK roads. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #890020 8th Mar 2021 10:32pm
SCP73

United Kingdom 
RDR wrote:
A 130 with tailgate would make up for the monumental cockup that they made with the D5 vs D3/4. If I could get a decent spec HSE 130 for say £75k they would sell at least one in the uk - would be the perfect car for the dogs as per the D3 ours don't fit in a 110 and are a bit snug in the D5.

I hope so RDR. but I think the "price" will be milked a lot more Sad Our 110 HSE PHEV MY22 fully spec'd is that plus some Sad

We were looking at it to keep it, but, come 2025 and all-electric comes hopefully, we might hold it for a few years and then PX if they do indeed to a 130 Phev (I can but hope) Smile 1992 - Defender 90
1997 - Discovery
2015 - Disco Sport (only 1 child)
2018 - Merc V-Class (3 Children and the mutt)
2020 - Ordered 110 X-Dynamic HSE MY21.5 (hoping big enough for the family)
2021 - MY21.5 Cancelled by JLR, MY22 ordered, awaiting dates :/
Post #890021 8th Mar 2021 10:32pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Laughing yeh I'm being hopeful on the price! I was cursing at +£75k for my disco and had it in my head the Defender would be cheaper Big Cry 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #890027 8th Mar 2021 10:42pm
Hwalker164

Australia 
yes JLR are increasingly backing themselves into a corner of the premium market over all their models. Remember premium unless you have decent reliability is never a volume seller. Will wait and see but they basically walked away from a market segment which has bigger opportunities for volume worldwide and placed themselves into an already crowded market segment they already occupied. Which new market segment or purchaser are they bringing to the market with the new defender
Post #890055 9th Mar 2021 2:13am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
You need to look at their Investor Day presentation.

Hwalker164 wrote:
JLR are increasingly backing themselves into a corner of the premium market over all their models.

The corner you think they are backing themselves into has larger growth forecasts that both the markets they are currently in and the wider car markets as a whole. So it's actually the best corner in the room!

Hwalker164 wrote:
Remember premium unless you have decent reliability is never a volume seller.

Cutting breakeven from 600k to 400k vehicle production and now stating openly that the volume chase to 1 million was a big mistake ~ volume is not the concern anymore.

Hwalker164 wrote:
Will wait and see but they basically walked away from a market segment which has bigger opportunities for volume worldwide and placed themselves into an already crowded market segment they already occupied.

They have recognised that in a volume driven market segment, where price is a key driver of the purchasing decision, they cannot compete. So they are going upmarket where the value for money proposition is really not a key differentiator in the buying decision. It's less about kicking tyres more about embracing aspirational lifestyle choices.

It's a clear strategy. They want bigger profit margins and think a bigger slice of a smaller pie will get it for them.
Post #890062 9th Mar 2021 7:43am
Hwalker164

Australia 
See you outlined the issue perfectly JLR have a perception of where they sit in the market place which apart from Range Rover and Evoque doesnt reflect market reality. You can have volume and price take for example to massive prices asked for basically double cab 4x4 in the australian market as an example with some approaching 100k AUD. Now they are going to build more specific niche vehicles which overlap each other. There is a reason no other mfg attempt to target these niche markets.

As i say time will tell but you can see they already understand they balls up the market demand expectation this is why they are going back on all their earlier market comments and what to do now with the Disco 5. Look back at where they go their market so right (Range Rover Sport as an example).
Post #890068 9th Mar 2021 8:10am
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
RDR wrote:
here's the leaked slides it is on there forum somewhere else...

Yet another article confirming it

http://www.landmag.fr/actus/land-rover-le-...a-en-2023/
Post #890307 9th Mar 2021 9:57pm
SN

^^^^ First decent plausible pickup rendition I've seen on that site too - as I've suggested they could do it Honda Ridgeline style which this is a nice version of

Click image to enlarge
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #890339 10th Mar 2021 12:18am
Hwalker164

Australia 
Perfect niche market to target , remember the love of the fancy Australia Holden and Ford utes which never saw anything put in the back. Put a big engine in it and basically nobody else competes in the market !!! Perfect market for land rover to target
Post #890346 10th Mar 2021 6:18am
Supacat

Competition ~ Is the Rivian going to Oz? Then there's plenty of US legacy trucks that fit those criteria?
Post #890350 10th Mar 2021 7:57am
Hwalker164

Australia 
USA trucks are a different market segment to that , the reason they never exported those utes to USA is because the knew it would take market away from their existing designs. You need to find a niche that nobody thinks is there (Kinda like Range rover did many decades ago)
Post #890351 10th Mar 2021 8:11am
zilch

Australia 
RAMs and F150's and alike seem to be growing like weeds around the burbs of Australia, especially Sydney,
do not ask me to research the numbers SC Laughing I can tell you i see more and more every time i drive out
of the garage.. Whistle more lifestyle than work horses

There was a mock up of a 4cab style Defender with Tradesman tool box on a short flat bed, that if
achievable would mostly fit in against the LC 70 series trades vehicles that are favoured in OZ, and by the
time they are fitted out are nearer to and sometimes in excess of the $100K mark

i am afraid my googling has failed to find the rendering, nor has a search on social media where i first spotted it
been fruitful Neutral yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #890354 10th Mar 2021 8:26am
Supacat

zilch wrote:
do not ask me to research the numbers SC Laughing

Touché.

Stage 1.

Thumbs Up

This?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

https://www.motor1.com/news/428855/land-ro...rendering/
Post #890356 10th Mar 2021 8:31am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
markb110 wrote:
Philip wrote:
Large three-row SUVs are a big deal in the US.

The big difference is that in the US they can build a three row SUV that has decent leg room and a full boot. Therefore making for a decent cross country family tourer.

The Defender 130 makes a better 5 seater with better storage space or quite frankly yet another overly expensive 5 + 2 with no room for anything (including the dog).

I cant see the Americans getting overly excited when there are more local options without the premium price tag, less adaptable and JLR's reliability reputation.

Will be nice to see it though.

Went out to visit one of my school friends who lives in Colorado. 7 of us and a big dog in a GMC Denali Yukon and still space to stand up and do the hokey cokey. Cabin isn't exactly premium and not the most inspiring design but it does the job. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #890364 10th Mar 2021 9:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>