↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2.4 Tdci. Heavy rattle/shudder when turning engine off.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
2.4 Tdci. Heavy rattle/shudder when turning engine off.
As per the subject, I have a heavy rattle (as in the whole engine, rather than a part) when I turn the engine off. 2.4 Tdci with 80k on the clock. The car shudders, before settling and the egr cleaning schedule starts. Apart from a slightly erratic idle when cold, (as described by other members, the revs surge very slightly, but could be the VCV needs changing), it runs and pulls ‘normally’.

Any thoughts? Wondering if there’s a timing issue in the valves and don’t want some kind of catastrophic failure..... Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #868911 22nd Nov 2020 9:45am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
sounds like dieseling, which could be caused by so many different scenarios.

Can you get it plugged in to source a fault code?
Post #868926 22nd Nov 2020 11:11am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I am relatively new to my Defender tdci, but while doing some work in family Ford Fiesta tdci, noticed an air control valve on the intake, just like a petrol engine has a throttle body. This closes as soon as the engine is being switched off, causing the cylinders to ‘vacuum’ and hence loosing compression. This in turn lets the engine to slow down smootly. I do not know if the Defender tdci has it as well. For my 2.2 have only taken out the hose between the air cleaner and the turbo intake, and did not notice any air control yet. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #868938 22nd Nov 2020 11:47am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Re: 2.4 Tdci. Heavy rattle/shudder when turning engine off.
Grenadier wrote:

Any thoughts? Wondering if there’s a timing issue in the valves and don’t want some kind of catastrophic failure.....

My timing chain jumped a tooth at C100k miles with catastrophic results, no rattling beforehand as it has plastic guides that stayed intact.

I intend to have the timing chain changed as preventative maintenance on the new engine @ around 90k miles.

Sounds like you need to have this looked at (sooner rather than later) to properly diagnose the problem.

I hope that it's something simple - good luck Thumbs Up Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #868954 22nd Nov 2020 1:57pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Grenadier-
My MY2015 2.2 with very low mileage does this occasionally (& has done so from new) and also has occasional lumpy idle only when cold for a few seconds or so. Otherwise runs great. I did get the VCV changed and it made no difference. I use premium fuel so not sure if it’s related to that (but I used to do a lot of short journeys). My independent wasn’t worried and said “what do you expect...it’s not a Mercedes.”. I presumed that it coincided with something else going on like being in the middle of a regeneration cycle etc

Not sure if that’s similar to your description- Does your engine do that every time you stop or occasionally ....has it occurred recently or always been there and/or increased in frequency??
Jerry
Post #868994 22nd Nov 2020 5:52pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Mine does that too Jerry, maybe once every couple of months.
Post #869017 22nd Nov 2020 7:07pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Jerry wrote:
Grenadier-
My independent wasn’t worried and said “what do you expect...it’s not a Mercedes.”.
Jerry

I love it when people say that..... they're right. It's not a mercedes. But it is a Transit!! And Transits don't do it, so why should a defender! Shocked Shocked
Post #869065 22nd Nov 2020 11:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Not all that likely but check the engine mounts and gearbox / transfer box mounts.

I used to get a similar feeling at one time, this was before I had the transfer box mounts changed and I changed the VCV.

Not sure if that’s linked between those two.
But excess free play in those transmission mounts is obviously shunted to the engine as they are all big lumps.

If nothing else, they are worth checking but are not always easy to determine.

The VCV can cause all sorts of bizarre issues, the only telling sign that it’s that is erratic idle in usually blow 5.C temps when starting from cold. Improves when warmer, then over time begins to get worse. On mine meant she would cut up when cold too.
Since I changed it for a new one. (With no programming) it’s been running by like a dream in every way.
Starting is better, cold idle is better, no cutting out at all. All power and especially top end in high her gears is back.

Actually goes like stink now, running really nicely.
I had the mounts changed about 68k for me (due to weight and safety factors I had those fitted for me).
The VCV I replaced at around 72k, I imagine it was original.

These might not be it but some ideas at least.
Other than that all I can think of is worn imbalanced clutch and or flywheel.

If nothing else, the info maybe useful to you. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #869080 23rd Nov 2020 12:12am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
are you sure it not just the clutch rattling, try switching it off in gear with the clutch pressed, if the rattle goes away its just the clutch plate to change DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #869093 23rd Nov 2020 9:17am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
/\/\/\ My first thought too. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #869233 23rd Nov 2020 10:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1