↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > L663 as a loan car.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
L663 as a loan car.
So my Defender is at my amazing main dealers Roger Youngs for warranty work Thumbs Up so for the past 5 days I have had this as a loan car.

Click image to enlarge

250 miles from new when I collected it, full tank of fuel and the words of the service director ringing in my ears “ go and enjoy it Simon”

750 miles later and due to be returned tomorrow, what are my thoughts?

Well I am the first to admit I referred to it as a “ Pretender” it isn’t that because it is nothing like the defender I own. They are 2 very different vehicles.

It’s an easy drive with the auto box but then any vehicle is an easy drive compared to a defender Rolling with laughter

Whilst I’m not keen on the styling myself based on trying to combine new with old, it had attracted a lot of attention when parked up and in the black makes a nice change from the other colours I have seen.

One feature the designers have replicated perfectly and I don’t know how they have done it but if you drive thru a big puddle on the passenger side it throws a huge amount of water onto the windscreen Rolling with laughter

The vehicle feels purposeful and I’m sure very capable off road. It’s comfortable inside. Water drips onto the drivers seat when you open the door but the seats are comfortable.

I am still struggling with the electronic handbrake but that’s probably just me being use to a lever type one.

The layout from a drivers perspective is ok and not unappealing, the heated seats get hot enough to cook a turkey.

The soft closure backdoor makes me smile as part of the warranty work on mine is to replace the rear door catch Rolling with laughter

So tomorrow it goes back and my own thoughts are this......on day one I was very excited to drive it by day four the excitement is waining and tomorrow I can’t wait to have mine back to be honest. It’s been an experience, not unpleasant but the base cost of this one is £52000 so way out of my price range.

But what I will say if you have one I hope it brings you all you want from the new model, for me I prefer mine but regardless of what model we drive we all like the the green oval badge so don’t be too hasty either way to criticise the new model but new model owners please remember the heritage and history from where your new model evolved and don’t criticise us old fashioned owners.

Lastly Martin thankyou for a great forum which allows us all to enjoy all types and sorts of Defenders. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #868962 22nd Nov 2020 1:46pm
Tim in Scotland

Interesting that you don’t comment on the engine - I know several owners of Classic Defenders (and I still have my TDi300) who have all had new ones as loaners that were D200’s and they reckon it’s sufficiently underpowered that they couldn’t live with that engine - even though it has more power and torque than their classics it just felt sluggish to them. I must admit that I also found that on the 15 minute test drive of a D200 that I had back in June during lockdown and was why I went up to the D240.
Regarding the electronic parking brake - the release is in a silly invisible location BUT since I’ve learned how to use the gradient release and the way the electronic fly by wire footbrake works I don’t think I’ve touched the parking brake controller since except a couple of times off-road on the flat with a Terrain Response program in use and gradient release is inhibited.
All you need to do is to press the footbrake until the red brake indicator or green “hold” message shows in the dash, no need to release it when you want to drive off, just press the gas pedal and it releases automatically. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 22nd Nov 2020 3:01pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #868971 22nd Nov 2020 2:52pm
Sulisuli

The engine was sluggish to be honest even in sport mode but I just wondered if it would take a bit of getting use too. It’s a big vehicle to move from a standing start.

At one roundabout I have to cross on my commute you do have to take your life in your hands as it’s a bit like the wacky races and thinking about it on two of the days it felt like I only just had enough power to pull away and get going.

Just been and checked having read your post Tim and it is the D240 Shocked so heaven knows what the D200 is like......I guess I’d still be sat at the roundabout. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #868972 22nd Nov 2020 2:57pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve heard a couple of people say that of the D240 too, but I don’t find it so in mine but then I’ve had SDv6 RRS, 2 x Evoques a TDv8 FFRR and a TDv8 RRS where people made the same comment so maybe I’m so used to it that my driving style has adapted to get round it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #868974 22nd Nov 2020 3:06pm
J77

Scotland 
I found the D240 to be smooth and rather nippy at junctions in comparison to the D240 in my Velar which seems hesitant at times.

D200 will do me, I ain’t being held to ransom (£3700) for an extra 40 horses or 50 with the latest updates. My D3 had 190hp and a heavier car it was fine.
Post #868977 22nd Nov 2020 3:25pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
By the sound of things the new 3.0L lump will make a big difference once it hits the streets.

Jim
Post #868979 22nd Nov 2020 3:36pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That's a well presented write up Simon. I think we agree that the old and the new are a country mile apart in all aspects of its design comfort and handling.

I agree about the electric hand brake. The plus side is it makes the cockpit cleaner the downside, they are sometimes a pain in the bum to operate. Tim is correct, hill start etc etc is great and invaluable with this type hand brake. The hand brake on the old Defender was so well designed and ergonomic I can understand why it wasn't replicated in the new one Whistle

Being under powered. I don't think this is a specific LR problem. I have heard many people moaning about their new cars feeling more sluggish and less responsive than their old ones. I guess it's just the way engines are being designed with emissions as the leading criteria.

Look on the bright side, we only have ten more years to worry about sluggish internal combustion engines. Electric vehicles mostly accelerate like stink.

Is there anywhere in the new Defender to rest your right elbow whilst driving, other than having to wind the window down?
Post #868995 22nd Nov 2020 4:56pm
J77

Scotland 
Quote:
Is there anywhere in the new Defender to rest your right elbow whilst driving, other than having to wind the window down?

Hope so, as I’ve deleted the centre console so there sure ain’t anywhere for my left elbow. Laughing
Post #869003 22nd Nov 2020 5:11pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Intriguing you got a 'loaner' as our local dealer has blamed Covid for not allowing anything out......
Post #869018 22nd Nov 2020 6:11pm
Sulisuli

The loan car was totally cleaned and the COVID regime that Roger Youngs has in place is to be saluted. I guess all places are different.

Roger Youngs don’t allow people into the show room, I went to a BMW main dealers to drop my mums car off and was greeted with do come in, would you like a coffee please take a seat in our waiting area Shocked 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #869022 22nd Nov 2020 6:26pm
Tim in Scotland

Rashers wrote:

Nope, it’s too darned wide for resting your elbow on the door casing comfortably........ but the centre cubby box is just about perfectly sited for your left arm Wink maybe I need to get longer arms than come as standard on the 5ft 7” model of homosapien Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #869023 22nd Nov 2020 6:31pm
Sulisuli

Rashers wrote:
That's a well presented write up Simon. I think we agree that the old and the new are a country mile apart in all aspects of its design comfort and handling.

I agree about the electric hand brake. The plus side is it makes the cockpit cleaner the downside, they are sometimes a pain in the bum to operate. Tim is correct, hill start etc etc is great and invaluable with this type hand brake. The hand brake on the old Defender was so well designed and ergonomic I can understand why it wasn't replicated in the new one Whistle

Being under powered. I don't think this is a specific LR problem. I have heard many people moaning about their new cars feeling more sluggish and less responsive than their old ones. I guess it's just the way engines are being designed with emissions as the leading criteria.

Look on the bright side, we only have ten more years to worry about sluggish internal combustion engines. Electric vehicles mostly accelerate like stink.

Thanks Rashers Thumbs Up I just wanted to give an unbalanced opinion and rest assured there is plenty of elbow room Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #869026 22nd Nov 2020 6:58pm
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Rashers wrote:

Nope, it’s too darned wide for resting your elbow on the door casing comfortably........ but the centre cubby box is just about perfectly sited for your left arm Wink maybe I need to get longer arms than come as standard on the 5ft 7” model of homosapien

It’s going to take me some getting used to, Fl2 was the last LR I had without a centre cubby.
Post #869041 22nd Nov 2020 8:20pm
Tim in Scotland

J, it worse for those who have come frommRRS, D3, D4 and FFRR with their fold down proper arm rest. Does the Velour not have a fold down left arm arm rest? ` Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #869071 22nd Nov 2020 10:21pm
J77

Scotland 
No it just has the centre cubby, which is a fine height, my D5 had armrests but they were pretty crap to be honest.
Post #869074 22nd Nov 2020 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>