↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Intelligent AWD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green

Click image to enlarge

This popped up on mine today after 10 minutes of driving. I had selected grass/gravel/snow mode when leaving my house for the snow covered back streets then put into comfort mode on the gritted main roads.
Post #884549 10th Feb 2021 8:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LAND ROVER PARTNERS WITH GKN ON INTELLIGENT AWD SYSTEM
Philip wrote:
This isn’t the same as the Evoque system, and I’m certain it’s CO2-driven.

Found this on the Evoque system. The fuels savings at 11.4% is hugely greater than that of the Defender system.

"Land Rover vehicles are known for their all-wheel drive (AWD) capability. With the launch the Range Rover Evoque compact SUV the brand entered new territory: corporate fleets. The Evoque’s size and style made it an enticing prospect for drivers who wanted a company car with a different work-life balance.

To create an innovative “Active Driveline” that could provide the efficiency fleets require without compromising the brand’s off-road capability, Land Rover partnered with GKN Automotive. The development extended the two companies’ collaboration on the Evoque’s standard AWD system.

How it works
The result is an industry-first: a modular AWD ActiveConnect system that improves fuel efficiency while retaining the vehicle’s traction, dynamics and off-road performance. When driving conditions and driving style allow, GKN Automotive’s intelligent driveline switches to front-wheel drive mode, disconnecting the rear axle and the major rotating masses to maximise efficiency.

The GKN Automotive system has a power transfer unit (PTU) linked to the transmission’s final drive differential. This contains a synchronizer and brake that disconnect the all-wheel drive system upstream of the PTU’s hypoid gears.

At the rear of the system is GKN Automotive’s Twinster rear drive module (RDM), which uses two multi-plate clutches to drive each rear wheel independently. The clutches can also disconnect the AWD downstream of the RDM hypoid gears.

Click image to enlarge

The benefits
A dedicated GKN Automotive control unit controls the front and rear sections, continuously monitors the vehicle dynamics and driver inputs. During steady-state driving speeds above 22mph, the system disconnects the rear axle to save fuel. When additional traction is required, within 300 milliseconds, the rear wheels are reconnected.

In addition to the disconnect function, GKN Automotive Twinster technology also acts as an electronic differential, vectoring torque to optimise grip, traction and stability.

The co-development of the Active Driveline achieved a significant reduction in driveline spin losses, which contributed to an improvement in fuel efficiency of up to 11.4%, depending on the model. The step change in vehicle efficiency and dynamic performance set a new industry benchmark for this type of vehicle."

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/insights/range-rover-evoque/
Post #884783 11th Feb 2021 7:20pm
Supacat

The system referred to in the earlier image ~ IDD, sounds identical to that used in Jags.

THE UNIQUE INTELLIGENT DRIVELINE DYNAMICS (IDD)
Jaguar’s uniquely capable automatic AWD system is available on the iconic F‑TYPE, the award winning XF and XE saloons, and Jaguar’s performance SUV, the F‑PACE. The system has been engineered specifically to intensify the experience of driving a performance car in all weathers, on all surfaces. There are two main features of AWD with IDD that, when combined, set it apart from any other system.

Click image to enlarge

"To transfer torque from one axle to another, the system uses an electro hydraulic multi-plate wet clutch, controlled by a centrifugal electro-hydraulic actuator. Together these technologies shift the precise amount of torque needed in as little as 100 milliseconds. Even a full shift of power from 100% rear to 100% front takes just 165 milliseconds, and happens seamlessly. All the driver notices is outstanding handling in conditions any other car would find challenging. The hydraulic system has the added advantage of generating less mechanical wear and so requires less maintenance than other systems."

https://www.jaguar.com/owners_internationa...e/idd.html

Last edited by Supacat on 11th Feb 2021 8:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #884787 11th Feb 2021 7:49pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
They don't mention the drawbacks...
I've seen cars crashing with this kind of system on the German highway, Audi Quattro 's or full time 4wd didn't have any problems keep the line safe and straight with parts of ice or heavy rainfall / debris.
It always will be to slow to engage.. Just my 2cents. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #884788 11th Feb 2021 7:52pm
J77

Scotland 
My Velar has IDD, it’s a good system. Responds quickly to the changing terrain, it’s doing well at the moment getting me through the snow we have at the moment. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #884795 11th Feb 2021 8:02pm
Supacat

I think Jaguar need to change their copy:

"it’s important to highlight that AWD is not a term that’s fully interchangeable with four-wheel drive (4WD). 4WD is typically reserved for very serious off-roaders, splits power evenly between all four wheels, and offers very low gear ratios that are driver-selectable.

AWD is refined and sophisticated, actively shuffling power from front-to-rear in milliseconds, its adaptability better suited to the higher speeds road cars tackle."

Click image to enlarge

https://www.jaguar-me.com/en/about-jaguar/...range.html
Post #884798 11th Feb 2021 8:11pm
Digger2000

Re: LAND ROVER PARTNERS WITH GKN ON INTELLIGENT AWD SYSTEM
Supacat wrote:
Philip wrote:
This isn’t the same as the Evoque system, and I’m certain it’s CO2-driven.

Found this on the Evoque system. The fuels savings at 11.4% is hugely greater than that of the Defender system.

"Land Rover vehicles are known for their all-wheel drive (AWD) capability. With the launch the Range Rover Evoque compact SUV the brand entered new territory: corporate fleets. The Evoque’s size and style made it an enticing prospect for drivers who wanted a company car with a different work-life balance.

To create an innovative “Active Driveline” that could provide the efficiency fleets require without compromising the brand’s off-road capability, Land Rover partnered with GKN Automotive. The development extended the two companies’ collaboration on the Evoque’s standard AWD system.

How it works
The result is an industry-first: a modular AWD ActiveConnect system that improves fuel efficiency while retaining the vehicle’s traction, dynamics and off-road performance. When driving conditions and driving style allow, GKN Automotive’s intelligent driveline switches to front-wheel drive mode, disconnecting the rear axle and the major rotating masses to maximise efficiency.

The GKN Automotive system has a power transfer unit (PTU) linked to the transmission’s final drive differential. This contains a synchronizer and brake that disconnect the all-wheel drive system upstream of the PTU’s hypoid gears.

At the rear of the system is GKN Automotive’s Twinster rear drive module (RDM), which uses two multi-plate clutches to drive each rear wheel independently. The clutches can also disconnect the AWD downstream of the RDM hypoid gears.

Click image to enlarge

The benefits
A dedicated GKN Automotive control unit controls the front and rear sections, continuously monitors the vehicle dynamics and driver inputs. During steady-state driving speeds above 22mph, the system disconnects the rear axle to save fuel. When additional traction is required, within 300 milliseconds, the rear wheels are reconnected.

In addition to the disconnect function, GKN Automotive Twinster technology also acts as an electronic differential, vectoring torque to optimise grip, traction and stability.

The co-development of the Active Driveline achieved a significant reduction in driveline spin losses, which contributed to an improvement in fuel efficiency of up to 11.4%, depending on the model. The step change in vehicle efficiency and dynamic performance set a new industry benchmark for this type of vehicle."

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/insights/range-rover-evoque/

It does the reverse in the defender by disconnecting the front axle where as the Evoque disconnects the rear axel.

I wrote an update to the warning light that appeared on my defender yesterday in the faults section but in a nutshell no faults were found in diagnostics test so hopefully just a one off glitch because as you can see I had the TR setting on grass, gravel, snow mode to give me control on the snow but it decided to give me a warning and 2WD Laughing it was strange because it felt like the front wheel were actually connected and were gripping the snow so I’m not sure it was actually in 2WD.
Post #884801 11th Feb 2021 8:21pm
Tim in Scotland

Does setting the TR to “Auto” instead of one of the preset settings make any difference? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #884904 12th Feb 2021 10:35am
Digger2000

Hi Tim, I thought only TR2 has the auto setting?
Post #884923 12th Feb 2021 11:23am
Tim in Scotland

So you don’t have TR2 then........ hope I’m not going to have to change cars to find out as it came a standard on my First Edition 110 D240 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #884933 12th Feb 2021 11:51am
Digger2000

Think it comes standard in 110 first editions but not the 90
Post #884934 12th Feb 2021 11:53am
Supacat

It seems other vehicles with the same/similar components are having issues:

SSM 75152

Click image to enlarge

And this one does relate to the Defender:

Click image to enlarge
Post #887451 24th Feb 2021 12:49pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
They’re fixed torque split transfer boxes.
Post #887457 24th Feb 2021 1:08pm
Digger2000

Thanks. I have this problem in the faults section of the group with more detailed info of what is happening.
Post #887483 24th Feb 2021 2:57pm
Supacat

Curiously similar.

"multiple Bronco Sports have overheated after a few minutes of tackling a small hill or hooning around in the sand. In every case, the compact crossover flashed the 4WD Temporarily Disabled message before entering limp-home mode. The Power Transfer Unit, also known as the twin-clutch rear differential that enables AWD whenever needed, is the subassembly that overheated in both scenarios.

What comes as a bit of a surprise is that Ford offers a PTU cooler in the Bronco Sport Badlands, liquid cooling that isn’t up to the task of keeping the power transfer unit within the recommended temperature range.
Ford Bronco Sport "

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2021-fo...57682.html

Click image to enlarge

Excellent article on some of the issues these AWD systems with clutches have to manage:
https://jalopnik.com/multiple-ford-bronco-...1846450499
Post #891835 16th Mar 2021 2:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>