↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Update 2 november -> More problems than fixes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lobsterman

Belgium 
Update 2 november -> More problems than fixes?
So, our defender got a software update on 2 November

From then we got the following problems:
No radio in the car (now at least 4 days no sound)
Navigation voice doesn't work any more
When starting the car all dashboard lights goes to dark (solved by restarting the car)
4G doesn't work any more (restart the car sometimes work) getting a SIMM not connected error
Weather app sometimes work/sometimes not..

Made a appointment with LR for next Monday. hope they find a solution..
Ending with a positive note.. it's a fun car to drive Smile
Post #868164 18th Nov 2020 7:22pm
Tim in Scotland

Have you tried holding down the audio volume/ power switch for 10-15 secs to do a reset of the PiviPro system? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #868187 18th Nov 2020 9:18pm
Lobsterman

Belgium 
No Tim, i'm gone give that a try today.. Thx
Post #868243 19th Nov 2020 9:06am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
One of the great joys in life (for petrol heads anyway) is getting a new car and going out and enjoying it. Nearly everyone who has bought a L663 or test driven one is extremely pleased with its on road and off road performance but unfortunately it has been let down by electronic and software problems. Whilst I'm not in the market to buy one myself I really feel for the owners who are frustrated with these niggling problems. My wife's Disco Sport which is just under four years old is now starting to suffer numerous electronic problems, so it's not just new JLR models that are having these problems. Like many cars today our DS is not doing many miles due to Covid restrictions but every time my wife drives it another electronic problem arises. In the last month it has had a new emergency braking camera, the auto stop/start has stopped working, door locking is intermittent and keeps putting a message up about the car battery being low despite having a Ctek fitted and reading over 13 volts.

The DS is going at the end of the year which will leave us with only one Land Rover product in the garage - something which has not happened for over 15 years. I'm not abandoning the idea of another JLR product in the future but they are going to have to get their finger out and solve their electronic and software problems before I consider another. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #868249 19th Nov 2020 9:52am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Welcome to the future. If you have an Amazon account, you can view the rest here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brazil-Jonathan-Pryce/dp/B079969ZK9
Post #868255 19th Nov 2020 10:30am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
discomog wrote:
One of the great joys in life (for petrol heads anyway) is getting a new car and going out and enjoying it. Nearly everyone who has bought a L663 or test driven one is extremely pleased with its on road and off road performance but unfortunately it has been let down by electronic and software problems. Whilst I'm not in the market to buy one myself I really feel for the owners who are frustrated with these niggling problems. My wife's Disco Sport which is just under four years old is now starting to suffer numerous electronic problems, so it's not just new JLR models that are having these problems. Like many cars today our DS is not doing many miles due to Covid restrictions but every time my wife drives it another electronic problem arises. In the last month it has had a new emergency braking camera, the auto stop/start has stopped working, door locking is intermittent and keeps putting a message up about the car battery being low despite having a Ctek fitted and reading over 13 volts.

The DS is going at the end of the year which will leave us with only one Land Rover product in the garage - something which has not happened for over 15 years. I'm not abandoning the idea of another JLR product in the future but they are going to have to get their finger out and solve their electronic and software problems before I consider another.

Electrical gremlins are a pain, because most people are stuck with a trip to the dealers for a fix, or hoping a restart / reset will work. I'm not overly hopeful JLR will get on top of the electrical issues, they go back at least to the P38, which has been around for about 30 years. (I've just picked up a replacement microswitch for the drivers door in my P38 in the hope it will cure the intermittent central locking cycling.....) Smile
Post #868263 19th Nov 2020 11:02am
Lobsterman

Belgium 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Have you tried holding down the audio volume/ power switch for 10-15 secs to do a reset of the PiviPro system?

It worked Tim!
Don't now for how long but everything works fine again Smile
Thanks..
Post #868570 20th Nov 2020 2:10pm
Tim in Scotland

If that hadn’ t worked then the next step is to disconnect the main battery for 20 minutes to let all the systems wind down then reconnect the battery! The usual computer fix - switch off completely and restart! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #868615 20th Nov 2020 5:35pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
The disco 5 we had at work seemed to suffer with this sort of issue too.

There were certainly 2 occasions I can think of where it received an update and features immediately stopped working.

It is not good enough on such expensive vehicles.

Chris
Post #868777 21st Nov 2020 2:43pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Tim in Scotland wrote:
If that hadn’ t worked then the next step is to disconnect the main battery for 20 minutes to let all the systems wind down then reconnect the battery! The usual computer fix - switch off completely and restart!

I really don't understand why car manufacturers don't simply build in a master reset/circuit breaker switch that's easily accessible.

Any electrical/eletronic issues in your car? Simply flip the switch, wait 30 min, and switch it back on.

I suppose one could have an auto-electrical shop install one... --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #868895 22nd Nov 2020 7:16am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Glad this seems to be resolved, well done Tim!! Thumbs Up Bow down

What beggars belief is the main dealer didnt suggest trying this!! Unbelieveable!! Shocked Banging Head James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #868902 22nd Nov 2020 8:15am
Tim in Scotland

I don’t know why LR has made it so complicated, I never once had to do any of this stuff with my Countryman, it had over the air updating and the only way I knew it had updated was a message on the dash saying it had updated to the latest software, no having to check in the system then having to answer a question if I really wanted to instal the update, no having to move the car to initiate it, no having to answer a warning before the installation would start, no having to lock the car and leave it for an hour to perform the update and the car was always drivable which twice I have had the warning not to drive the Defender while it’s installing the update! In the BMW system in the Mini it just happened while the car was parked up. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #868905 22nd Nov 2020 8:38am
J77

Scotland 
My Velar updates without fuss, it tells me there’s an update, press install, it downloads and then installs. Car is still useable and installation completes on shut down, just like most computers.

I think the Defender updates more things that would normally require a dealer? The reason why it shouldn’t be driven?
Post #868928 22nd Nov 2020 11:13am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I know of two 110's that are going back to Land Rover due to the update problems.
The owner has to drive 20 miles to get a satisfactory internet connection then sit and wait as the update takes place. He has complained but the dealer says it his fault as he should have checked he had a good internet connection before purchase. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #868939 22nd Nov 2020 12:12pm
Tim in Scotland

Just been out and checked mine and my comment above is blown out of the water as it updated itself without any request to install the update by locking the car etc. Now it updated to OS 2.0.5 P2AR1 on 20th Nov but................
this May account for why the last two mornings I haven’t been able to remote start the car and why the app is showing that the car is locked but the alarm isn’t set even though it’s double locked........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #868951 22nd Nov 2020 1:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>