Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Lift Rods a question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Lift Rods a question
Are they safe? The reason I ask.

By fitting the rods you raise the vehicle without the electronics knowing that its been raised. By fitting the rods you have lifted the centre of gravity.

Thinking of these types of scenario, you go into a corner too fast or an Elk walks out in front of you, whatever it is you are turning hard or swerving, the DSC will will kick in and help out. However the car is not actually sat as it should be and you could end up getting into trouble as the centre of gravity is higher.

Will the electronics be receiving false information?

What are your insurer or the police going to say if you are involved in an RTA and find you have altered the geometry of the vehicle?

I know we all fit different springs to our older Defenders, however the old Defender does not read the vehicle status 6 million times a second and adjust the vehicle accordingly.

If you want your truck to look lifted why not just lift it to off road height? the vehicle will stay there upto 50mph (I think)

Im not saying they should not be fitted or people that have fitted them should not have done so. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #867947 17th Nov 2020 8:31pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
They’re super popular in the States, email Lucky8, or have a look on Defendersource or ExPo maybe.
Post #867952 17th Nov 2020 8:50pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Lift Rods a question
AndrewS wrote:
Are they safe? The reason I ask.

By fitting the rods you raise the vehicle without the electronics knowing that its been raised. By fitting the rods you have lifted the centre of gravity.

Thinking of these types of scenario, you go into a corner too fast or an Elk walks out in front of you, whatever it is you are turning hard or swerving, the DSC will will kick in and help out. However the car is not actually sat as it should be and you could end up getting into trouble as the centre of gravity is higher.

Ask yourself this. Is a traditional Defender or Range Rover Classic safe?

What if you have normal rods and ride height and still crash?

Maybe you are over thinking this somewhat...... Rolling Eyes

AndrewS wrote:

What are your insurer or the police going to say if you are involved in an RTA and find you have altered the geometry of the vehicle?

You do realise you should declare mods to your insurance company. What on Earth makes you think you wouldn't??? If they insure you with said mods. Then there will be no difference in how they treat or process anything.
Post #868002 18th Nov 2020 1:47am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Article on them:

"The sub-$100 lift for the new Land Rover Defender

Click image to enlarge

The team over at Proud Rhino in the US has released an interesting little ‘hack’ that tricks the air suspension in the new Land Rover Defender into thinking it’s two inches lower than it really is, thus the Defender gains a two-inch lift.

How it all works, is that you can install a set of arms that connect the height sensors with the chassis, that are of a different length. For example, one-inch extended brackets offer up a one-inch increased height of the Landy. Where it gets interesting, is that this affects all modes; so even at it’s lowest, it will still be an inch higher. The other option is to go for the two-inch lifted arms, and as you’d expect, two-inch lift in the Defender.

Click image to enlarge

The greatest thing about the ‘hack’ (or mod if you will), is that you can install the new arms with no tools at all, and they’re being called an ‘upgrade’ by the manufacturer, featuring new bushes and anodized aluminium over the factory parts. Lift kit and weight saving, what’s not to love?

This is no new thing, as we said above, with Johnson Rods having manufactured the upgraded lift bars for more than a few years.

Now don’t get us wrong, this mod is nothing new to the Land Rover nuts around the world (this will work with just about any air-suspension fitted Land Rover), but it certainly piqued my interest being a lowly ‘Yota driver… I wonder if Deano will be able to somehow make this work on his old 110… Probably not I’d reckon!"

https://mr4x4.com.au/the-sub-100-lift-for-...-defender/
Post #871240 4th Dec 2020 8:02am
Tim in Scotland

At 5ft 7” / 1.63m tall the car is already a bit of a climb to get into, adding a 2” lift would need me to buy a step ladder or a mounting box ........... I don’t want side steps/ running boards Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #871254 4th Dec 2020 10:15am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It’s a poor idea. It’s already a limitation of air suspension that it gets stiffer at higher settings. This forces it to run at a higher pressure still in order to maintain height, with a further reduction in suspension articulation. Not to mention running all the bushes in a permanently stressed state.

More for showing off and satisfying the American desire for huge tyres I think, than for actual off-road use.
Post #871256 4th Dec 2020 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1