Home > Technical > Cav diesel pumps on oneten 2,5 n/a,1987
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Holmkiern

Sweden 
Cav diesel pumps on oneten 2,5 n/a,1987
Hi all,
I have an issue with the diesel pump and it is driving me to the limit due to leakage on ingoing shaft and after changing o-rings 4 times it still leak+ I now cant get it to go to normal rev. To start it I need to put the pedel to the floor just to get some rev.
Now is time to take the pump out and get an pro to fix it.
Here is the question: are there any special tools needed to get pump out? Timing belt had to go +I need to fixate all in position of course.

Any advice appriciated.

Thanks
/ Johnny
Post #867794 16th Nov 2020 9:54pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
By ingoing shaft, do you mean the throttle shaft, or the drive shaft?
Have never taken one apart, but plan to do the injection pump on my 19J. It had never leaked, except from the boost bellows (no boost on a 12J), however when I was looking over it, I moved the throttle linkage and felt some lateral play in the throttle shaft, and diesel seeped out. When I did that, the 90 was out of service already for quite some time, so I doubt if there was any residual pressure. I do not think should be any lateral play there. Not sure what can wear, if it is the shaft or the housing.

If it is the throttle shaft, a quick search I found DPA pump shafts. But yours I think is a DPS, but better verify on the nameplate. It is a bit hidden, on the side/underside, nearer to the mudguard.
If it is the housing, maybe it can be sleeved.

Nice if you can feedback what you have found. Definitely there is to learn for me.

AS supply, I found these to have quite a comprehensive spares supply. Never bought from them though.
https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product-categ...pair-kits/ 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #867841 17th Nov 2020 7:08am
Dinnu

Throttle shaft kit:
https://injectionpumps.co.uk/product/lucas...a-engines/ 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #867844 17th Nov 2020 7:34am
Holmkiern

Sweden 
Hi,
Iit is the input shaft issue and have bought from them and excellent service I must say.
I was not able to solve it though. So now I got leakage and is not able to rev motor.
If you take off cover it is important how shafts are positioned. There are 3 things to look for.

My question remain: are there a need for special tool to get pump out of car? I will replace time belt at same time.
Regards/ johnny
Post #867860 17th Nov 2020 9:33am
Dinnu

I do not know if there are special tools to remove the pump from the engine.
I am hoping that I can remove mine by slacking the pulley nut before removing the timing belt, and then just a puller to prize the pulley off the shaft once the timing belt is removed. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #867868 17th Nov 2020 10:21am
Holmkiern

Sweden 
Then it is a matter to get timing right when pump is renovated..
Post #867886 17th Nov 2020 12:47pm
Dinnu

Pulley has dots (small, shallow holes) or lines that align with arrows or other dots on the timing case. If I recall correctly, there are several dots, but only one set lines up on all 3 pulleys at the same time. The pulley on the crank has a chamfered tooth (again if I remember correctly).

The pulley on the PDS is keyed, so only goes in one way. There is also an alignment pin that goes in the pump, but not sure if it is needed. I would however mark the DPS to the timing cover, as the holes on the injection pump are slotted to advance or retard the injection. By marking it you can retain the original timing. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #867889 17th Nov 2020 1:02pm
Holmkiern

Sweden 
Hi, I have changed timing belt once so I know about locking all but if I send the pump,how will I be sure that it will have same position but that is someting to talk to pump renovater about.
Post #867910 17th Nov 2020 4:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1