↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Mobile hotspot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Mobile hotspot
So I’ve mentioned somewhere previously on a different post about the lack of mobile hotspot on my first edition 2020 defender.

I was so sure that when I picked it up from the dealer it was there but I just didn’t bother testing it.

Then when I went to go and set it up, it was no where to be seen - even after MULTIPLE hard reboots and a software upgrade. - nothing. Members on the forum told me that I do not have the mobile hotspot on the first edition etc etc. So I must have just been going crazy!

Click image to enlarge

Today I got into my car and again I was faced with the “No Sim Installed” when I tried to enter a destination on the navigation system. So I did a hard reboot on the pivi pro system which rectified the SIM card issue and all of a sudden mobile hotspot appeared!

Click image to enlarge

I set it up, connected my phone to the hotspot Wi-fi connection - disabled mobile data on my phone and I was successfully able to browse the internet through the hotspot!

I wasn’t crazy after all, however now the question is, should it be there and if not how come it appeared and worked?!

If it is, how do I get to be there consistently - I have a feeling I will loose it again sometime soon!

Keen to hear if others have experienced the same? Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #867378 14th Nov 2020 6:48pm
nowrxo

PowerfulUK had the same when they were having problems upgrading their software:

Compare 03:23 ("Connected to O2-UK", "Wi-Fi") to post-hard reset 06:17 ("Connected to O2-UK", "Hotspot", "Wi-Fi"). Yet another LR software glitch, sadly.
Post #867540 15th Nov 2020 4:56pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
I got an email today from LR, saying the following:

Quote:
Thank you for your recent contact into the Land Rover Customer Experience Centre.

We have discussed your case with the Incontrol team who have checked and confirmed unfortunately your vehicle does not have the mobile hotspot feature fitted.

This is also not something that can be retrofitted as it would be taking the vehicle away from its original manufacturer's specifications.

If you are under the impression this was requested at the time of purchase, please liaise directly with your vending retailer who will be able to assist you further on this matter.

...this gets stranger and stranger.

I did have it...it definitely worked...I wonder if pivi pro got itself confused and used the data service supposedly used to for Spotify, navigation etc and used it for the hotspot?’ Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #867914 17th Nov 2020 4:49pm
Tim in Scotland

My understanding is that you still have the ability for others to log into the data SIM in the car -IIRC up to 5 users - without the 3rd SIM or the WiFi hotspot. I have to say I’ve never tried as 99.99% of my driving is solo. The WiFi hotspot was never an option that was available on First Editions in the UK for some reason. I haven’t tried to spec a 21MY Furst Efition yet to see if you could spec one with it now they have a lead in time to build them.

Edit - I’ve just tried to configure a 21MY First Edition and it still isn’t an option. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #867943 17th Nov 2020 8:06pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Need to watch Powerful UK this week, as I believe he's delving further into this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #868090 18th Nov 2020 12:45pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Another response from LR after I told them, that I was able to successfully connect to the internet through the hot spot.

Quote:
We have had further feedback from our 3rd line team and they have advised that:

You should only have access to the hotspot settings if you have purchased WiFi Hotspot with Data Plan feature. However, we have been made aware there have been reports of an issue where the Hotspot setting is being displayed when the feature hasn't been selected. This is expected to be resolved by a software update in the future.

So they went from saying that I needed to have selected the option which can't be retrofitted, to now saying you need to have purchased the wifi with data plan feature.

this is clearly a software capability - not some additional hardware clearly.

Otherwise they wouldn't be able to address with with a software update and I wouldn't be able to connect if that was the case.

I'm very keen to see what Simon from powerfulUK finds and shares... Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #868152 18th Nov 2020 6:48pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Can you not just do it off your phone? I am phone ignorant , so a genuine question. Why can't you turn phone I to hotspot if others want to use Internet in the vehicle? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #868175 18th Nov 2020 8:33pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Yep - absolutely can use the hotspot to tether data to other passengers...

what I was thinking more a long the lines was - my phone connecting to the hotspot and using it to stream music such as Apple Music

In addition, I think it's just the unknown surrounding it - is it available, is it not? Is it hardware / is it software? and unfortunately LR don't seem to know themselves.

If people are ticking a £460 option for the "Wi-Fi and Data Plan" - there should at least be some knowledge around it? Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #868257 19th Nov 2020 10:32am
Supacat

Interesting story on the disappearing hotspot in Oz, courtesy of the auto expert John Cadogan:

The bones of the case:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 4th Dec 2020 7:46am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #871213 3rd Dec 2020 10:47pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
I find it infuriating, my discussion with Land Rover went through 3 different representatives who all respond to me with “your car does not have it and it cannot be retrofitted”

After which I send them the video of me using the hotspot and their response is exactly the same...

“your car does not have it and it cannot be retrofitted”

Well then please explain to me how I have it and why it cannot be retrofitted?!

Who is this so difficult to explain?! Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #871220 3rd Dec 2020 11:04pm
Tim in Scotland

My car is the same. It downloaded and installed OTA update 2.06 this affternoon so I’ll have to check the WiFi is still there in the morning! Supposedly I’ll be able to “wake up” the car by shouting something at it too now.......... but I also wonder what other things will not now work as a result of the update........ LR gives with one hand and OTA updates take it away with the other Laughing
My understanding is that my car has two embedded SIMs, one for the tracking, emergency calling and so on and the other provides for OTA updates and internet/ data “subject to reasonable use” for three years from date of purchase. A WiFi hotspot + SIM reader etc wasn’t available as an option on the First Edition when I bought mine. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #871227 4th Dec 2020 12:06am
Supacat

I had hoped Powerful UK would cast some more light on this topic as per his earlier video but it appears he's got other things on the agenda for the near future:

Click image to enlarge
Post #871237 4th Dec 2020 7:40am
Tim in Scotland

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Molle plate? All Google comes up with is armour plated vest inserts......___ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #871250 4th Dec 2020 9:52am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Some kind of storage solution for the side-mounted gear carrier wotsit I believe. Using MOLLE loops so people can mount anything to it.
Post #871255 4th Dec 2020 10:20am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks I googled MOLLE Loops and see it’s some sort of lightweight carrying system
https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/what-is-molle.htm Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #871259 4th Dec 2020 10:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>