↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing tub and exterior panels - help and advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hduggan

United Kingdom 
Removing tub and exterior panels - help and advice

Click image to enlarge

Defender 110 - utility hardtop

Hello, I'm replacing the corroded piece shown in the attached photo with the replacement from yrm. As a newbie I'm just looking for a bit of clarity around the job that needs doing and any advice/tips anyone may have.

My thought process is that I should first remove the sides and roof from the tub (was aiming to remove them together??), after that I've been told to remove the tub; bolts to rear cross member, foot box, chassis, and obviously more (presume to gain better access to where the panel is originally spot welded to the tub??) After that remove exterior panels from the tub, as the corroded panel runs under both rear quarter panels so most will have to be removed to allow the corroded piece out. Then drill the original spot welds to remove corroded panel. Fix new panel in place, I can't weld and dont have any mates that can, so would pop rivets be my best option? And then do that again in reverse building it back up.

Two questions?

Are there specific rivets that fix the exterior panels to the tub? As I can't find a straight answer online.

Is there anything else other than these exterior panel rivets that will need replacing?

Thanks in advance,
Harry
Post #866615 10th Nov 2020 11:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1