↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2021MY (L663) > Custom building a ‘21 HSE X-Dynamic - choosing options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
abpod

United States 
Custom building a ‘21 HSE X-Dynamic - choosing options
I’m trying not to get too out of control with the options. Going to most likely get Carpathian Grey paint.

Conflicted on the following upgrades:

$1200 for black contrast design pillars (the side squares) with black contrast roof? Or keeping the roof and side squares Carpathian-colored roof (which is almost black anyway).

Downsize to the 19 inch wheels for better off-road tire deflation needs

ATPC, Configurable Terrain Response, and Terrain Response2 worth $750?

Advanced Tow Assist worth $425? I’ve read on some other forums that sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t - depends on what you’re towing.

Meridien Surround System worth $450?
Post #866203 9th Nov 2020 3:50am
zilch

Australia 
i saw a RRS in Caparthian with a black contrast roof, the base body colour is way to dark for the contrast roof
to stand out.. imho yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #866205 9th Nov 2020 6:18am
goodtimes

United States 
After ordering a 2020 SE in Eiger Grey with delivery in September, I passed on it due to me not needing the vehicle (COVID work from home) and turned around and ordered a 2021 X-Dyn SE due in January. I faced similar questions so let me explain my decisions:

Color: I originally was going for Eiger Grey. BUT I am getting wheel arch protection in the anthracite color it comes in, and this doesn’t flow into the Narvik painted bottom trim along the sides. So I took a hard look at Carpathian and not only grew to like it more but it also largely blends the wheel arch protection into the main part of the body yielding an elegant solution to the issue that the wheel arch protection not necessarily looking right on an X or X-Dynamic. I drove by a Carpathian FFRR yesterday and both my wife and I were like yes... right decision.

Black Out Signature Graphic: passed. I think with Carpathian you really won’t notice the square. I am also getting a roof rack so black roof won’t be that noticeable. Further, the black roof hides the alpine windows from the outside - with body color roof you’re more likely to notice that design feature.

Tires: I originally thought what you’re thinking, go with the 19” wheels (I was thinking the black 6010 style) to max sidewall and get Duratracs in that size. But what I realized was: the 20” wheel tire size variety is a real thing AND good luck selling the R19 Wrangler A/Ts whereas plenty of buyers for the R20s. Also - Johnson rods of 1.5” can make up for the side wall if I grow into wanting that, and that will allow for all sorts of tire options (thinking the Nitto Ridge Grapplers).

Use the savings from not getting the black signature graphic and roof color towards the performance options so that the vehicle is fully capable.
Post #866207 9th Nov 2020 7:06am
abpod

United States 
awesome! Yeah, I'll pass on the contrast roof cost given my color choice and put it toward those other options I was on the fence about. Also, thanks for the insight on the 19s vs 20s. I'll go back to 20s.
Post #866288 9th Nov 2020 3:48pm
cozz

zilch wrote:
i saw a RRS in Caparthian with a black contrast roof, the base body colour is way to dark for the contrast roof
to stand out.. imho

I think you are right,

I was going to get a silver with black roof, (£900 for paint, £900 for roof)

or could get carpathion grey for £1800, and have body coloured roof,

I think the silver needs the contrast roof, but not the carpathipon
Post #866370 9th Nov 2020 8:49pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
You could always get the roof wrapped black or white at a later date if you weren’t happy with it.
Post #866378 9th Nov 2020 9:19pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
This is pretty much what we decided. Carpathian grey is a lovely colour, but we also passed on the black squares and pillars/roof, as said it will not stand out.

We went for the gloss black 20” wheels, and also have the 110 bonnet graphic, although that might be quite subtle on Carpathian.

We are debating whether to get the grill centre and badges changed to black, but need to see a CG Defender before we decide. The pictures on the web don’t come near to actual seeing in the metal.

Interior wise, we went for Acorn/Luna, but am a little disappointed to find out it’s not full leather, but has the robustek also. Read some bad things about staining, so it’s a shame the full leather upgrade is not available on X Dynamic as an option, because I would have taken it. It’s available on the normal 110 variants, but not on XD.

Other gripe is the removal of comfort and convenience pack because of supplier issues.

Too late to change now. I want my car! 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #868033 18th Nov 2020 9:18am
goodtimes

United States 
Regarding robustec, this is different from the cloth material on the regular Defender and 2020s that have been showing issues. So the jury is still out on the robustec and how it will hold up. I am hopeful that this new material is more durable. But yes - it is black no matter what so with non-ebony interior selection, it will have a two-toned effect. It might look sharp though.
Post #868122 18th Nov 2020 3:45pm
abpod

United States 
Gareth wrote:

...but am a little disappointed to find out it’s not full leather, but has the robustek also. Read some bad things about staining, so it’s a shame the full leather upgrade is not available on X Dynamic as an option, because I would have taken it. It’s available on the normal 110 variants, but not on XD.

Isn't the X seats not really "full" leather too? I read it is a Windsor leather blended with Kvadrat Steelcut Premium wool textile...so technically it is not a full grain leather covering the entire seat, no? '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #868145 18th Nov 2020 5:03pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I’m not sure to be honest! If you build a HSE it offers as an option full Windsor leather.

If you build an XD HSE is just has Windsor leather with robustek. No option for full leather.

It could be that it’s already full leather? But I can’t find any further details. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #868146 18th Nov 2020 5:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1