↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Strange 'clunking' noise when you come off the power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
Strange 'clunking' noise when you come off the power
I had a starnge and quite alarming clunking sound when I lift off the power and come to a stop.

It never happens when the vehicle is cold and seems to hapen occasionally.

The dealer had a look and said it is the handbrake, apparently they have had a few 08 Defender's coming in with oval handbrake drums! Wasn't this a problem years again with Series Land Rover's?

The drum is catching the brake and pulling on the drive very slightly and they think it is when the drive train gets hot, especially in traffic.

Anyway it seems a simple fix and I thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else had the same symptons.

I'll let you know if it resolves the problem when it goes in to have the work done.
Post #5734 24th Dec 2008 6:54pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Re: Strange 'clunking' noise when you come off the power
Sticky wrote:
I had a starnge and quite alarming clunking sound when I lift off the power and come to a stop.

It never happens when the vehicle is cold and seems to hapen occasionally.

The dealer had a look and said it is the handbrake, apparently they have had a few 08 Defender's coming in with oval handbrake drums! Wasn't this a problem years again with Series Land Rover's?

The drum is catching the brake and pulling on the drive very slightly and they think it is when the drive train gets hot, especially in traffic.

Anyway it seems a simple fix and I thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else had the same symptons.

I'll let you know if it resolves the problem when it goes in to have the work done.

Hi Sticky

I have the very same. Just when hot. I d not know what it is.
Post #5740 25th Dec 2008 2:02am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I had the same thing.
Exactly the symptoms you describe. It is usually cured by bringing the LR to a stop on the handbrake.

The dealer suggested it was 'a bit slack' and tightened it. However, it has just come back after a couple of weeks.

Did they replace your handbrake or adjust it? Is it likely to be doing damage elsewhere along the transmission?
Post #5786 28th Dec 2008 4:07pm

It is the dealer tomorrow, so I will let you know what they have to say.
Post #5790 29th Dec 2008 12:10am

All solved, apparently the whole lot was changed but didn't get a chance to speak to the mechanic.

I drove in heavy traffic and motorway sections that would normally show up te symptons and it is definately no longer there.
Post #5798 30th Dec 2008 12:20am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
oval break drum
Hi all
I noted my handbreak drum was rubbing somewhat but the break lever has to be up three clicks to work on a steep hill.
I also checked that the drum was not overheating so I was wondering - if the drum were oval would I be able to check this with a dial gauge on the outside of the drum or would only the machined inner drum be checked in accordance with the bore/spiggot?
I did try to adjust the break myself until the breaks stop rubbing but at this stage the lever is too slack and does not break at all.
Thanks
James Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #5802 30th Dec 2008 2:31pm
austen

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
My handbrake is up 6 clicks to avoid this annoying problem. Sticky, did you experience a grinding noise when coming off the power and re-applying between 100 - 110kph?

Austen.
Post #5808 31st Dec 2008 7:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote

Austen, i'll be honest, once I heard the noise I backed off using the car for fear of related issues.

I do remember getting a slight grinding noise once or twice which has since gone away.

I am not convinced that we have heard the end of this problem as like you I now have more travel on the hand brake than I like.

I may have a chat to X-eng and see if the brake fits just to see the back of this http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-BrakeSeries.asp
Post #5814 31st Dec 2008 9:47pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
On the x brake - ive never liked them and cant see the point in them on any of our Land Rovers.

Also after the recent court case...i wouldnt want to mess with the braking system. Mike
Post #5829 1st Jan 2009 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1