↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Another lost customer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Another lost customer
I've now reached the end of the road as far as "modern" Land Rovers are concerned - I've just ordered a new car to replace my four year old Discovery Sport. I've really enjoyed the car and it has been reliable up until the last few months where it has been attacked by various electronic gremlins - this echoes the views made in various surveys about the reliability of JLR products with particular regards to electronic problems. I have previously had a D3 and a D4 and they have also succumbed to electronic failures when around four to five years old. It is most frustrating just waiting for the next warning light or message to flash up and wondering if you are going to have to drive the next 100 miles in limp mode.

These annoying niggles with the DS have coincided with our thoughts about possibly purchasing a slightly smaller car so we have decided on a Mini Countryman Cooper S. My wife and I both love the DS but can't handle the stress of waiting for the next orange light to flash up so it's sadly goodbye to JLR. We are still keeping our Defender which we need to tow our horse trailer and just generally have some fun with and of course the smiles per gallon.

What a shame Britain's biggest car maker cannot be up there with the likes of Toyota when it comes to reliability. Big Cry Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #864174 29th Oct 2020 10:02am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
I must that I feel the same way and would not consider another Land Rover despite being involved with them for many years. I looked forward to the DS being introduced but was disappointed when it arrived and I also looked forward to the New Defender being developed and introduced again with disappointment.

Whilst I have the 300Tdi and my wife has the Evoque, Land Rovers will not feature in the future. mind you my neighbour has an I-Pace which does look good but it was off the road for 4 months whilst they tried to sort it out!

Good luck with the Mini. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #864176 29th Oct 2020 10:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Another lost customer
discomog wrote:
... What a shame Britain's biggest car maker cannot be up there with the likes of Toyota when it comes to reliability. Big Cry

Yesterday evening I went to look at a 51 plate Toyota MR2, which has stood untouched on a driveway for the last three years. After I'd charged the battery, the car started and ran perfectly first turn of the key, and everything worked as it should.

I bet a JLR product in similar circumstances would have had "issues".
Post #864182 29th Oct 2020 10:18am
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
Whilst agreeing that Toyota make extremely reliable & robust (all those terrorists can't be wrong about everything) vehicles they are also extremely bland & lack any character whatsoever.

I run a FFRR & agree that they are not the most reliable of vehicles, but, it does have character, which is more than any Land Cruiser, jeep or Shoguns I have ever driven have.

It is a shame that JLR products supper from these issues.
Post #864196 29th Oct 2020 10:54am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have never driven one, but I think Jeep have made a good effort at keeping their vehicles looking true to their origins.

This is only my view, but I think JLR missed a trick with the new Defender. I saw a couple parked up this weekend in the car park at Rutland Water. I personally don't think there is very much pedigree between the Defender of 2016 and the Defender of 2020 apart from the badge. In fact I thought at first glance it was a Kia Shocked They might be a cracking car with every conceivable driver aid, they might be tremendous off road, they might be a very comfortable ride and handle well, but I just don't think it looks much like what a Defender did.

Talking of electronic gremlins, our friend had a Jeep as a company car. The Sat Nav was absolutely hopeless! It couldn't work out which way you were driving on the road!! Not great if you are lost....
Post #864199 29th Oct 2020 11:13am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Sister in law bought new D5, it lasted just less than 24hrs. Now having new engine fitted. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post #864209 29th Oct 2020 11:55am
Rashers

That has to be a record?

I think I would have asked for a replacement vehicle rather than a fix Shocked
Post #864211 29th Oct 2020 12:09pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
And this where JLR should say sorry and give the owners a new vehicle, not say never mind, it’s a Land Rover, we will fix it under the warrantee that you are ultimately paying for .

It’s a disgrace....
Post #864212 29th Oct 2020 12:09pm
Tim in Scotland

I ran a Mini Countryman PHEV for 2 years up to June this year (after almost 30 years of LR owning), it had 1 service and 1 recall visit to the dealer for a replacement sticky label on the domestic charger, that was it. The car had only one rattle in that time, from the very cheap and nasty light weight papier-mache blinds for the panoramic roof. Up to May this year the PHEV was the fastest and most economic to run version of the Countryman but there is now a Cooper Works Countryman that is somewhat more powerful and faster accelerating and is reputed to have no suspension.......... even the PHEV was a fun car to drive despite being 150kg heavier than the other models in the range. I had a Mini E as a loaner when mine went in for a service and that was huge fun BUT it had a very small range only really suited to city dwellers and not for those living out of town or needing to drive more than 90 miles in a day and it couldn’t rapid charge, like several other BMW based EV’s.
My New Defender has so far had 4 trips to the dealer for warranty and recall work in 4 months and to have accessories that were on back order fitting, the Mini was delivered with everything I opted for fitted. It looks like my Defender now is not downloading the latest over the air software update so it looks like another trip to the service bay is looming.......... the Mini had over the air updates from 2018 and other than frequent messages on the screen to say it had auto updated it never missed a single auto update in the 10 or so sent out in 2 years of ownership. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #864214 29th Oct 2020 12:16pm
Rashers

I have told the story on here before of the Guy in Hunters King's Lynn who had taken his almost new Disco 4 in for a new gearbox. He was (understandably) upset and told them that he didn't care what they were going to do to it as he wasn't having it back and all he wanted was his money refunded.

I was taken mine in for it's second service. I often wondered whether he did get his money back?

It was earlyish in the morning and I looked around and where there were a couple of sales staff milling around, they bizarrely disappeared from the showroom whilst this was going on. I did feel for the service receptionist. He was a young Guy and seemed a genuinely nice bloke when I dealt with him. I expect that get used to it, but they are only human. Not a job I would relish.
Post #864215 29th Oct 2020 12:22pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I have done with modern Land Rovers although the other half still has her Evoque. My Skoda Yeti has been utterly reliable and can’t fault it. I get my Land Rover fix from a V8 Ninety and Series Land Rovers.
Post #864217 29th Oct 2020 12:34pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tim in Scotland - it's heartening to hear your comments about the Mini. We have two friends who also have Mini Countrymans and although only 12 months old they have not yet been in to the dealer.

On the plus side though both my previous Defender, a 300Tdi and my current Puma 2.2 have both been ultra reliable. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #864219 29th Oct 2020 12:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
defender9 wrote:
... My Skoda Yeti has been utterly reliable and can’t fault it. ...

Why, oh why, did Skoda stop production of the Yeti? Big Cry

One of the best cars of recent times.
Post #864228 29th Oct 2020 1:31pm
Tim in Scotland

IIRC Servicing on my Countryman was 24000 miles or every 2 years whichever came first. Being a PHEV that I was able to drive in purely electric mode for the majority of my ownership time it seemed a pity to need to get it serviced after it had done fewer than 4000 miles on its little 1.5 three cylinder turbo petrol engine and around 5000 miles in purely electric mode, not using the petrol engine at all.
The only problem I had with it was when it went for the service - the loaner Mini E was VERY low to get in and out of easily after so many years of having to climb into cars! So before you buy check that isn’t a hassle for you to get in and out of a non Countryman version which rides higher than the other versions.

The Mini2 forums are a useful source of info too Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 29th Oct 2020 2:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #864232 29th Oct 2020 2:07pm
Rashers

You need to get shot of that basket case Defender Tim, and buy yourself a Mini Countryman PHEV. They sound great Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter
Post #864233 29th Oct 2020 2:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>