↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Courtesy light switch on doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Courtesy light switch on doors
A mate of mine has recently purchased an 09 plate standard puma, so basic trim . The interior courtesy light works fine on manual but not via both door switches. The drivers door switch is shot and bent, and fell out of its housing but the passenger one is fine and we have cleaned up the contacts on this. Both are receiving a 11.6v feed . I can replace both switches but maybe it’s unlikely that both have failed. But, there is an interior movement block sensor fitted behind the drivers side...which makes me think that at some stage there was a factory alarm fitted unless the plastic sensor was fitted anyway but not wired/ activated. I also read on this forum that if the factory alarm was fitted the door switches would not work...if that was the case would there still be a live feed? The doors unlock with the key only so there is no plipper.
Post #864113 28th Oct 2020 9:23pm
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

Courtesy light are operated by the alarm unit this unit will still be in place even if you have no key fob just not enable with all its function. the door switches provide switched ground input to the alarm unit and it provide switched ground to the Courtesy light

all the door switches to (A) but one i.e. drivers door switch to (B)

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 29th Oct 2020 10:30am. Edited 6 times in total
Post #864145 29th Oct 2020 7:06am
V8GPC

United Kingdom 
i found on mine it was the screws that fit the switches that had a little corrosion, and not making the contact. I replaced both switches and also fitted new screws. This fixed the problem.
Post #864146 29th Oct 2020 7:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Courtesy light switch on doors
peanutbob wrote:
... but maybe it’s unlikely that both have failed. ...

It's really not that unusual!

The door switches simply switch to ground so are easy to to test - take the feed wire off the switch and connect it reliably to a ground and see if the light comes on.

As V8GPC says, corrosion of the switch screw (which provides the ground connection) is a very common problem.
Post #864172 29th Oct 2020 8:57am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies. We have taken off both switches, cleaned them up and tested the incoming voltage which is 11.v on both sides.
I wonder if on 09 plate hard tops in basic trim I.e. non county, if an alarm was a standard fit... I guess so, especially as there is an interior movement sensor block factory fitted. Maybe the alarm has been deactivated in the past but still providing the earth .
I’ll go over and check in the meantime but 2 new switches cost £11.00 delivered so I might as well order these especially as one switch is bent. If it has got a non functioning alarm then one would have to alter how the switch is earthed via this.
Also will take the wire off and connect to ground.
Post #864177 29th Oct 2020 9:11am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The voltage you are seeing on the wires is correct, they are "pulled up" the alarm unit to battery voltage, and grounded when you open the door - the alarm unit detects the drop to 0V as a door open.

The ground path is via the fixing screw, so make sure the screw is clean as well when you fit the new switches.

Touching the female connector for the switch onto a ground point (e.g. a screw back in the switch fixing hole) should trigger the alarm unit to bring on the interior light. Make sure the light itself is in the "auto" position, there are 3 positions = ON, OFF and AUTO.

Central locking/alarm might not be enabled on but ALL Pumas have an alarm unit/ECU fitted to provide the immobiliser signal for the engine ECU, and it controls the interior lights from the door switches.

The door switches aren't directly connected to the interior lamp, they haven't been since the immobiliser equipped 300 Tdis and then all Td5s.

Not sure where you have seen that if the alarm unit is fitted but non functional as an alarm means the switches don't work, or that they need wiring differently?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #864204 29th Oct 2020 10:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Hi Martin
Understood and thanks. I’ll check tomorrow when I go over to his house.
Reading a variety of threads ref the switches, I thought that the alarm provided the earth, so that if the door switches are not faulty then the issue might be relating to the alarm/immobiliser. The interior sensor is in place behind the driver, which makes me think that there used to be an alarm (unless the sensor is always fitted anyway whether or not there is an alarm) and it’s been disconnected.
Post #864208 29th Oct 2020 10:47am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
I’ve taken the spade connector of one of the switches and grounded it in several places inc the self tapper on the switch but light still not coming on even though there is a live feed. I guess the problem must be allied to the alarm/ immobiliser.
Post #864415 30th Oct 2020 1:14pm
Martin
Site Admin

Is the roof light switch in the AUTO position? Just want to doubly make sure you've not pushed it over to "OFF".  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #864416 30th Oct 2020 1:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
100pc auto!!
Post #864417 30th Oct 2020 1:24pm
Martin
Site Admin

Thumbs Up

The switches are clearly connected to the alarm unit (as you can detect 12V on them), so it could well be that the alarm unit is configured to not operate the interior light.

Without a diagnostic tool on it you can't tell though.

Or the wire out from the alarm to the light is broken so although it is trying to switch it on the signal isn't getting through.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #864420 30th Oct 2020 1:35pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
It’s had a replacement rear door at some stage and there’s no switch on this nor any evidence of wiring plus the drivers side switch is bent and possibly shot...but I don’t think the switches are wired like Xmas tree lights so that if one fails then they all do not work.
Post #864421 30th Oct 2020 1:36pm
Martin
Site Admin

Correct, they are in parallel (driver's door is on its own wire)  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #864424 30th Oct 2020 1:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1