↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Land Rover network down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Land Rover network down
They system that connects our cars to the Land Rover network has had issues this week. Basically the server keeps crashing. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #911697 9th Jul 2021 9:33pm
SN

I suppose this might be why my LR Remote App had no record of trips on Friday and Saturday this morning - it has picked them up later in the morning though Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #912008 12th Jul 2021 10:51am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
SN, that has been happening since my wife got a DS SD4 from new.

Just seems to be one of those things.
Post #912022 12th Jul 2021 11:57am
AndrewS

The cars all connect to landrover via Google Shocked 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #912110 13th Jul 2021 1:09am
kenzle8a

If it is via Google, then most likely there’s going to be horrific product glitches theres also how Google allocates the use of their server space and load for applications built on it which can be a bit of a variable.
Post #912126 13th Jul 2021 7:57am
SN

Google are one of the big three hyperscalers (Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS being the others) - there's absolutely no eyebrow raising required by the fact JLR (more likely TCS) chose them as their underlying cloud platform Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #912146 13th Jul 2021 9:25am
AndrewS

So when we jump in our cars the car connects to LR via Google every time. So google is tracking us? 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #912210 13th Jul 2021 4:25pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
Land Rover online systems are provided by a Company called Wirelesscar which was set up by Volvo. Providing systems like Volvo on Call, and Land Rover in control. A majority of the company 75%, was bought by VW a couple of years ago. And they provide services to all the VW group, landrover ,Volvo , BMW, Fiat and a few others.
So blame VW for the problems.
Post #912220 13th Jul 2021 5:11pm
kenzle8a

AndrewS wrote:
So when we jump in our cars the car connects to LR via Google every time. So google is tracking us?

Google is tracking everything, cross network cookies and the like, esp if you are signed into a Google account on your device. If you think Facebook etc are bad, Google knows what your doing before you've done it.
Post #912259 13th Jul 2021 9:13pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I would agree with the google tracking...really bad and there is only so much you can turn off!

The disco first started playing up...then the other land rovers...i did ring the dealer thinking the connectivity module had failed again and they told me all their cars had failed and land rover told them of the issue.

This got me thinking, where is the service updates, so we know there is a problem and why is there not a local cache to run when the cloud isnt working (it also made me wonder what would happen with functionality if you didnt maintain the subscription, before the car wasnt so reliant on it) Mike
Post #912460 15th Jul 2021 8:10am
SN

lord-haggis wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
So when we jump in our cars the car connects to LR via Google every time. So google is tracking us?

Google is tracking everything, cross network cookies and the like, esp if you are signed into a Google account on your device. If you think Facebook etc are bad, Google knows what your doing before you've done it.

I am more than happy to have my Google Timeline updated with when and where I've been - mines been running quite merrily since December 2013 - there are no gaps, no unanswered questions, and its all readily downloadable if I want it for analysis.

I do not know why people get so upset about this stuff - unless of course you have something to hide... Rolling with laughter Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #912500 15th Jul 2021 1:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ignoring absolutely having something to hide from everyone that isnt someone i dont want to hide from. Thumbs Up

Its how the data is used, the assumptions that are drawn from it, the security of the data, unintentional consequences of use, the error and reliability, state legislation to access that data and fundamentally the base freedom we should all not loose of moving around our lives without oversight or interference of private or public entities...etc

At the end of the day we should be allowed to allow it or not so that we choose to be tracked and choose what we then do with that eg its ok for them to sell the data, by default it should be no

Back to JLR, i worry about the reliance of a network with the car Mike
Post #912671 16th Jul 2021 12:48pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Does the car still work correctly if the servers are down?
Or is one stuck somewhere in the desert or jungle if LR / Google / VW pulls the plug or updates its servers?

I read somewhere when Renault introduced the first elecrical ZOE, if you forgot to pay the monthly abonnment for the battery, the car won't start. The same is for all other Renaults: If it's service time at a Renault Service dealer the onboard navi only accepts routes to Renault Service dealers.

The same goes for the european Galileo GPS system: it can send speed limits to the cars so if there are traffice issues your car will be blocked to a fixed speed. I don't know if any cars have this system activated yet. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #912711 16th Jul 2021 6:11pm
J77

Scotland 
Nobody knows, they’ve never worked correctly since they were launched Rolling with laughter 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #912722 16th Jul 2021 7:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1