↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Thinking of 315's on my Daily...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Thinking of 315's on my Daily...
Ok so before lockdown I was looking at changing my 16" Sawtooth alloys for 18" versions and new tyres.

As I've done few miles between then and now, I've not changed them yet.

I've considered, the SMC 18" alloys with the new Pirelli scorpion...

However I do love the look of the 'mini monster truck' I've asked a forum member about his set up and I think it looks great. with few modifications needed.

My truck does / did around 8000 miles a year, I have the choice of other cars so don't have to use it (but I do as I like it) I do the occasional big trip... NC500 just done, Europe trip (probably around 2000 miles a trip). I would say my true millage is closer to 5000 a year going forward.

so I'm looking at this type of set up.

Click image to enlarge

Different rims, but same idea with this type of Tyre. Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - 315/75 R16 LT 127/124Q RWL TL

Also whats the benefit on a bead lock rim as apposed a bead lock 'look' (these are the rims I'm looking at 16 x 10)

Anyone else use this type of set up on a 'daily'? . Unless we are on holiday I rarely use motorways and even if I do tend to still a 60mph in the UK.

Thanks and post any pictures of your set ups Smile
Post #863344 24th Oct 2020 4:30pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
I use mine as a daily. You get used to the handling. Are you also going for the 50mm lift?

The imitation beadlock wheels are literally a couple of dozen bolts screwed into the rim,. I replace the ones I had as they were a pig to clean around the nuts.

Click image to enlarge
Post #863349 24th Oct 2020 4:52pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hi Camelman, it was you I asked Thumbs Up I didn't want to post a picture of your car without asking Very Happy

Yes I've been onto gwynlewis4x4 about the lift and would need to sort the Aches out.

Good point about the wheels I had a fancy Golf with BBS split rims... nightmare to clean. Will check the plain ones out ! Ithink they are cheaper also)

What is the purpose of the bead lock on the 'proper ones' just for look?
Post #863366 24th Oct 2020 6:01pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
The bead locks will not get you any benefits if you’re not using them off road, they allow you to drop the air pressure very low without the tyre popping off the bead. If it was me I would have the “standard” wheel without either the imitation or real beadlock as I think they have a cleaner look to them.

Gwyn does a great job of matching the springs so it will still ride great even with a lift, although be aware that you may need propshafts, castor correction radius arms, etc. and the cost does soon mount up. I run his kit of my 90 with 33” tyres and it handles a lot better than it did with the standard suspension. Handles perfectly well on country roads chucking it into the corners or even when sitting at 75-80 on the motorway, but at the end of the day it’s still a 2+ ton 4x4.

Be careful on your tyre choice as they don’t all have appropriate speed ratings, as far as I know the copper stt pro 315 is only rated to 68mph so if something did ever happen you may have insurance issues.
Post #863368 24th Oct 2020 6:29pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I've read somewhere on here that beadlock wheels aren't road legal in the UK, or at least there aren't any that are approved for road use?

Unlikely to be an issue in the real world, but worth investigating regardless.
Post #863454 25th Oct 2020 11:05am
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Depending on your wheel offset, you may not need to bother changing the wheel arches.
With a 2inch lift my 285’s are nowhere near rubbing, and these would only stick out 15mm more on each side.
You might have to do it for legal reasons perhaps.

I must confess I do have a soft spot for this look. Much better than lowered with 18’s. 👍🏻 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #863494 25th Oct 2020 6:44pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hi Jimbo55

I checked these tyres are 'Q' rated so ok up to 99mph..

Have you a picture or your set up

Good info on bead locks.. I think without looks better also Smile
Post #863868 27th Oct 2020 6:24pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Stacey007 ahh that’s fine then, I thought they were only K.

I’m useless at getting pictures of my truck, this was it a few years ago when it was on genuine Mach 5’s and 33” tyres

Click image to enlarge
Post #863875 27th Oct 2020 7:07pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Thinking of 315's on my Daily...
Stacey007 wrote:
Ok so before lockdown I was looking at changing my 16" Sawtooth alloys for 18" versions and new tyres.

As I've done few miles between then and now, I've not changed them yet.

I've considered, the SMC 18" alloys with the new Pirelli scorpion...

However I do love the look of the 'mini monster truck' I've asked a forum member about his set up and I think it looks great. with few modifications needed.

My truck does / did around 8000 miles a year, I have the choice of other cars so don't have to use it (but I do as I like it) I do the occasional big trip... NC500 just done, Europe trip (probably around 2000 miles a trip). I would say my true millage is closer to 5000 a year going forward.

so I'm looking at this type of set up.

Click image to enlarge

Different rims, but same idea with this type of Tyre. Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - 315/75 R16 LT 127/124Q RWL TL

Also whats the benefit on a bead lock rim as apposed a bead lock 'look' (these are the rims I'm looking at 16 x 10)

Anyone else use this type of set up on a 'daily'? . Unless we are on holiday I rarely use motorways and even if I do tend to still a 60mph in the UK.

Thanks and post any pictures of your set ups Smile

I too like the monster truck look. But those Treps are a pretty extreme off road tyre. And will objectively be a bit Censored on road. Do you actually off road at all? If not, they would be completely pointless.

Big tyres also have a lot more drag and weigh more. So will generally blunt performance, induce wheel wobble and wide tyres and big offsets will have a lot more bump steer. MPG will likely plummet too.
Post #863958 28th Oct 2020 12:24am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
jaygti wrote:
Depending on your wheel offset, you may not need to bother changing the wheel arches.
With a 2inch lift my 285’s are nowhere near rubbing, and these would only stick out 15mm more on each side.

I must confess I do have a soft spot for this look. Much better than lowered with 18’s. 👍🏻

In the UK it is illegal for the wheel to protrude from the arches. This is a Construction & Use Regulation. If yours are, you may want to reconsider your setup. You could be prosecuted for it, but it also serves to give 4x4's in general a bad rap.
Post #863960 28th Oct 2020 12:28am
mynamesbuck

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
camelman wrote:
I use mine as a daily. You get used to the handling. Are you also going for the 50mm lift?

The imitation beadlock wheels are literally a couple of dozen bolts screwed into the rim,. I replace the ones I had as they were a pig to clean around the nuts.

Click image to enlarge

Now that is one cool looking set up. Cool
Post #867825 16th Nov 2020 11:39pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
jaygti wrote:

I must confess I do have a soft spot for this look. Much better than lowered with 18’s. 👍🏻

In the UK it is illegal for the wheel to protrude from the arches. This is a Construction & Use Regulation. If yours are, you may want to reconsider your setup. You could be prosecuted for it, but it also serves to give 4x4's in general a bad rap.

I appreciate the rule but - I've had 6 years of not getting pulled, and every other car fitted with twisted wheels also suffers this, I guess that's 100+ sets of wheels on uk roads and never heard of anyone being pulled, I accept its not a massive protrusion but Whistle

treps are also pretty awful on road, so don't run them
Post #867828 16th Nov 2020 11:52pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Very poor logic. As you have no idea what vehicles they are fitted too or if they have other supporting mods.

And it really isn't about if you don't get caught. It still is a bad label for all of us. Rolling Eyes
Post #868000 18th Nov 2020 1:39am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Yeah, you are right. I’m sure the general population can’t stand the sight of a defender with rubber sticking out past the wheel arches, sorry for letting you all down.

And yes, actually I do. there are no other supporting mods. I own one and there’s another stored with us.

Anyway is this the reg your banging on about?
Reg 63
Subject to paragraphs (3) and (5), every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.
Post #868052 18th Nov 2020 10:41am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Using vehicle in dangerous condition etc.

A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when—
(a)the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment, or

(b)the purpose for which it is used, or

(c)the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried, or

(d)the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured,

is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.]

This piece of legislation IMO would capture a case of wheels extending beyond wings/bodywork. That said, my opinion is of no relevance. Whereas the opinion of a magistrate or county court judge would be somewhat more significant. Sad
Post #868132 18th Nov 2020 4:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1