↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Scottish equivalent of a green lane day
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Scottish equivalent of a green lane day
Last Sunday I took my old Defender out with the Scottish Green Road Club on one of their twice monthly drives out in the hills. The first video starts at our lunch break location so only ¾’s of the drive was recorded

Some notes:
Each video was made on my iPad Pro 9” mounted on a Brodit dash mount so please excuse some of the strange wavy bits when I stopped with the cam still running, the slightly out of focus bits, the occasional tapping noise and, because of the vagaries of the wiper parking points, the view obstructed on occasions by the parked wipers.

The videos vary between 13 minutes and 23 minutes long so if you are on 4G you will use a lot of your data!

The videos will best be viewed with the volume turned down, then you won;t need me to add subtitles to some of the radio conversations and my comments to marshals in places........ also the almost continuous rattles you can hear are the numerous car keys for the 90 on my key ring being jiggled around on the rough to very rough surface.

The start/finish and middle (where we turned around to come back) are both disused railway station yards on the between Stirling and Fort William/Mallaig that closed in the 1950’s hence the better track surfaces and driving between embankments and you will also see very nicely engineered stone bridges in places.

All vehicles on the drive were Land Rover products ranging from a 1949 Series 1 through numerous Labd Rovers, Defenders, , Disco2’s, Disco3’s, Disco 5’s, an L322 FFRR Autobigrahy V8 and a couple of ex Army 90’s as well as an ex military crew cab 130. With hindsight I should have gone in my 110 then I wouldn’t have come home with a severely bruised right elbow........
The landowners (2 different estates) advised before we started that the last time that the trail was driven was by us last year, neither had been up to survey the track so we’re not sure if last winter’s weather and all the rain we’ve had this year had caused any washouts. We didn’t find anything too bad. To drive thus route you need written permits and the codes for the locks on all the gates. Access to walkers and cyclists is permit free, the land access laws here permit them access without a permit provided that they don’t cause damage.

Sit back for an hour when there’s nothing to watch on Telly and get bored out if your mind watching these videos! This is a typical Sunday drive with club, 2 cars were on purely road tyres, they managed fine but one Defender 90 slipped into the ditch at one point and needed a recovery to get out. The weather wasn’t too pleasant but it also wasn’t very cold. I have driven this route with a couple of feet of snow in places which makes it interesting.

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862634 20th Oct 2020 6:30pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing, Tim! Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #862647 20th Oct 2020 7:26pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I have begun to find some beautiful roads up here now with the help of maps.me.

I found a lovely one yesterday with a river crossing at the end, it’s great to not be held up every 5 minutes by the RV’s which dominate the roads up here.

Not sure what the deer heads under the water is about in the river, perhaps it’s a clean way of disposing of them?

I believe there was a hunters lodge nearby and heads underwater and entrails in the river must be where they gut the carcasses ?

Not being a hunter, perhaps someone local to the country can chip in?
Post #862692 20th Oct 2020 10:13pm
Tank

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Indeed, it was a great day out!
Post #862705 20th Oct 2020 11:27pm
Jon w

Wales 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Looks really nice, a long way from me. Do you publish dates very far in advance and do you allow guests at all and what would you charge if they are allowed? If I was up that way visiting I would be interested in joining (Covid permitting)

Thanks

Jon
Post #865074 2nd Nov 2020 9:25pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Belize Green
Tim what rough area were you driving in, I have friend in various places around Scotland and am thinking it may be worth joining up and tying in drives with visits to friend. Lockdown etc permitting
Post #865077 2nd Nov 2020 9:41pm
Tim in Scotland

@ Drakes - That one was in the Killin/Lochearnhead area but behind locked gates and across land owned by 3 different owners........
As of today all our planned events have been put on hold even though we aren’t yet in full lockdown up here. We cannot travel from an area in a higher tier to an area in a lower tier and unfortunately the bulk of the club membership is in the Central Belt which is tier 3 but many of our venues are in Teir 2 areas, also the committee felt it wasn’t a good idea to encourage possible violations by members travelling out of area. The landowners we have to negotiate with for access have been brilliant and fully understand our reasons to suspend all events up here. They were happy to postpone our permissions until a later date.

JonW events aren’t published long in advance as some land owners won’t issue permits to access their land a long time in advance. It’s one of the problems with the system up here with needing written permission to access privately owned land in a vehicle - right of access is no problem for cyclists and walkers Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #865116 2nd Nov 2020 11:13pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Belize Green
Thanks for that Tim. You did invite me to and event a few years back when I owned a hotel in Tighnabruaich and the event was on the next peninsula across.

Keith
Post #865784 6th Nov 2020 9:28pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Re: Scottish equivalent of a green lane day
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Last Sunday I took my old Defender out with the Scottish Green Road Club on one of their twice monthly drives out in the hills. The first video starts at our lunch break location so only ¾’s of the drive was recorded

I've wanted to join the Club for years ever since I had a FFRR and saw your post about the club!

I'm over 400 miles away so keep putting it off....this year I emailed Graham printed the forms and then all the Covid-19 situation happened Big Cry

I guess it gives me more time to prepare (Fix) the Land Rover Laughing

Thank you for the Videos as they give me hope of getting up there one day and having my own adventures maybe even with you Thumbs Up
Post #866406 9th Nov 2020 11:21pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Tank wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Indeed, it was a great day out!

Thank you for your super pictures Thumbs Up

I hope to get up there sometime and join the adventure. Cool
Post #866407 9th Nov 2020 11:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top