↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > catalytic converter being stolen dorset
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetsmith

catalytic converter being stolen dorset
Exclamation There have been several case for catalytic converter being stolen for car in Dorset over the last mouth wareham and Blandford Exclamation
Post #851815 24th Aug 2020 9:51pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There was something on the news the other day to say that cat theft has shot up during COVID for some unknown reason. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #851818 24th Aug 2020 10:00pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Some of the materials in the cat are worth more than gold.

Some of these scum don’t even wait for darkness, they are happy to jack up the car in broad daylight because they know the law won’t do a damn thing.

Apparently hybrids are the most sought after as they don’t get used as much as a pure diesel or petrol car. This has lead to a backlog for certain manufacturers in terms of replacement.

Not good and I can’t image the intuition improving anytime soon.
Post #851898 25th Aug 2020 11:28am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Talking to our local police beat manager he told me that they had seen an increase in vehicle crime, house break-ins and dog theft since the start of the pandemic. It's the dog thefts that worry me the most as I would be devastated if it happened to me. There was a time when I wouldn't hesitate to leave my dogs in the car for a few minutes whilst I went into a shop for instance but certainly not now. Now my dog is never ever left in the car and she's also not allowed to roam free in the front garden anymore.

I was paranoid enough trying to hold onto my Defender and my two Ifor Williams trailers but it looks like the dog will have to have a GPS tracker as well. Whistle Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #852068 26th Aug 2020 7:28am
dioliahary

Scotland 
Had my company cars Prius (yeak I know but its a company car) Cat stolen at 5 am last Thursday.

3 chunky chaps, cool as ice. Jack, jack, jack, jack. A quick cut, power gun to remove two flange bolts and dink dank do off they go. 2 minutes top!

I challenged them (from my bedroom window) got a reply from the biggest ape "sorry mate"!

Police not interested, the cars in the garage now and I am certain they will be back before Xmas to pick up another easy picking.

What do you do, what knarks me is that one of them covered up my security camera (which has now been moved) the camera is next to the Defender and if they are Pikeys well now they know where the LR is. The thing is once they jacked that car up they were taking the Cat nothing was going to stop them, sure they would use violonce as the 'heavy' had a long silver thing in his hand and even though your instict is to challenge I was lucky not to get to them as I know it would have ended up ugly for me. Rolling Eyes 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #857377 22nd Sep 2020 9:23am
Tim in Scotland

Time to start clearing all the junk out of the garage and start using for the purpose it was meant for if it’s big enough for a modern wide car to fit into? This was the advice given by Plod to a friend of mine when the same thing happened to his Ford Focus recently..........
BTW some diesel Defender TDI 300’s have them too - mine was specced with one by the first owner but when the system started playing up the garage removed everything - they did a really good job of it too as my 1996 TDi 300 without the cat has lower emissions than my last SDv6 RRS had at its only MOT in my ownership! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857390 22nd Sep 2020 10:17am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
dioliahary wrote:
Had my company cars Prius (yeak I know but its a company car) Cat stolen at 5 am last Thursday.

3 chunky chaps, cool as ice. Jack, jack, jack, jack. A quick cut, power gun to remove two flange bolts and dink dank do off they go. 2 minutes top!

I challenged them (from my bedroom window) got a reply from the biggest ape "sorry mate"!

Police not interested, the cars in the garage now and I am certain they will be back before Xmas to pick up another easy picking.

What do you do, what knarks me is that one of them covered up my security camera (which has now been moved) the camera is next to the Defender and if they are Pikeys well now they know where the LR is. The thing is once they jacked that car up they were taking the Cat nothing was going to stop them, sure they would use violonce as the 'heavy' had a long silver thing in his hand and even though your instict is to challenge I was lucky not to get to them as I know it would have ended up ugly for me. Rolling Eyes

You need to take up a hobby, like 'Sporting Clay Shooting'.
Post #857396 22nd Sep 2020 10:49am
dorsetsmith

it manly only hybrid car catalytic converter being stolen

Prius and so on
Post #857401 22nd Sep 2020 11:37am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
dioliahary wrote:

Wow that's incredible! The absolute gumption! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #857404 22nd Sep 2020 11:58am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
There is likely to be very little interest in catalytic converters off old diesel defenders. They contain very little of the valuable metals and hold virtually no monetary value, especially when they are 15-20yrs old.

As said, it is modern cars, especially hybrids where the money is as they contain much more of the precious metals and hybrid ones are obviously assumed to be less 'used'.

More modern Euro 5 and especially 6 diesels will be the main targets. Usually bigger engined vehicles as they have larger exhaust systems.

I wouldn't be too worried about a Td5 (or worried at all by a 300tdi) from this point of view. They are much more likely to steal your bonnet, doors, seats etc than the cat!

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #857406 22nd Sep 2020 12:11pm
dorsetsmith

You need to take up a hobby, like 'Sporting Clay Shooting'.

paint ball gun mark then and car they use to do job, has been working well making f Censored Sc Censored Stelling sheep in south west and ink can not wash out and stick out day or night
Post #857423 22nd Sep 2020 1:22pm
dioliahary

Scotland 
Seems this was the tip of the iceberg. There has been a tidal wave of crime since then. Lots of houses broken into at night to ramsack and steal cars. Also heard of dogs being stolen. World gone mad. 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #869458 24th Nov 2020 10:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1