↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > A bunch of stupid questions from a newb owner 2020 110 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mark1107

United States 
A bunch of stupid questions from a newb owner 2020 110 HSE
There is so much conflicting information on the net. I need your guys help.

I bought a 2020 110 HSE Adventure pack i6. No Terrain response 2 no torque vectoring.

Does our Defenders come standard with a rear locking differential? A bunch of Facebook peeps said no, then some said yes. The literature online says maybe? Is there a center locking diff? Rear locking diff? Or is it an option? I don’t see. It as an option anywhere on land Rover website build your own.

Please help! I love the car and the ride!

Cheers! Mark

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #862358 19th Oct 2020 8:07am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
From the first photo, and based on the fact that you don't have Torque Vectoring, it looks like you don't have the rear active diff.

All Defenders come standard with the centre differential, and I'm not sure you can retrofit the rear diff.

surely your dealer/salesperson should have gone through the options with you? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #862362 19th Oct 2020 8:13am
Mark1107

United States 
Thanks for the reply. No he didn’t.

I’m wondering if I can get the torque vectoring active rear diff as an add on?

We will be doing technical rock crawling not Moab, but pretty technical stuff in the high sierras like Sherman Pass which has a knarly section that my rear locking diff Xterra handled no problems.

Will any aftermarket companies make something? I’m ready to throw some serious money at this...

Or in a week I can trade in my rare adventure pack HSE for an i4 with TR2 and torque vectoring rear differential that maybe won’t have a snorkel or roof rack...

What do you guys think? 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #862365 19th Oct 2020 8:21am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Extremely unlikely that you can retrofit it: other than the hardware, which LR won't sell to you, it will also require software to be added to the vehicle, which I also doubt LR will do.

Unfortunately, your best option is to trade it in on one that does have all the options you need.

Considering the high demand for the Defender right now, you might try selling it privately, you might even make a profit?

Also, seeing how useless your dealership is, I would recommend you go to another one. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #862367 19th Oct 2020 8:32am
Mark1107

United States 
I wonder how long the aftermarket area will take to catch up? If it does within a year, I’m okay with keeping it. If it’s two years, I may sell it private party. 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #862368 19th Oct 2020 8:38am
GreenMonster

United States 
Like others said, it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to add a rear locker ever. If you’re planning on serious rock crawling, you will probably want it. The air scoop (it’s not a snorkel) and roof rack can be added anytime.
Post #862374 19th Oct 2020 9:42am
Tim in Scotland

Rear diff is a factory fitted option at the moment, £1000 extra here in the UK IIRC. When I bought my car I bought from Dealer stock rather than having a factory order and out of >50 110’s in their stock within their dealer group only one was available with the ediff but that car DIDN’T have any security system at all which to me here in the UK was a major mistake on behalf of whoever specced the cars.
I had it as standard on my previous Range Rover Sport L494 HSE Dynamic and it was a very handy bit of kit even though I wasn’t doing any rock crawling stuff. I was able to take the car into some pretty serious (non rocky) places on 22” road biased tyres without traction issues because of the additional locking diff at the back.
Having now taken my 110 First Edition places that many UK owners might not want to go on 20” All Terrain Tyres and without the rear diff the car has handled everything thrown at it so far really well. The 2nd locker would be nice to have but the car, like the old Defender, can manage very well without it.
Having had several previous Land Rovers with Terrain Response I have found that some of the changes for New Defender - especially the configurable part of it - takes a fair bit of getting used to and frequently I just drive it off-road like my 1996 90 that has low ranges and a centre diff and nothing at all in the way of clever electronics. Mine is a diesel and one of the great things is that peak torque is reached at only 1400rpm, not much above engine idling speed.
It will be interesting to see if the higher output diesel, the D300, will get an e-diff as standard like the RRS did, without having to go for an expensive X pack vehicle. The highest output 2.0 4 cylinder diesel in the latest Discovery Sport now has the rear diff as standard according to someone I was speaking to at the weekend who was disappointed that the new to him Discovery5 didn’t even have it as an option in the 2.0ltr diesel engined option. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862391 19th Oct 2020 11:17am
zilch

Australia 
May be worth waiting to see if ARB bring something out in the future, they brought out lockers for the D3 & D4,
could be something on the cards for the Defender..

https://www.arb.com.au/land-rover-discover...r-lockers/ yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #862396 19th Oct 2020 11:40am
W84IT

United States 
Mark,

Does your new Defender have the "Off-Road Pack", "Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack" or the "Towing Pack"? I ordered mine with the Towing Pack and it has all the features of the Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack. However, I think you would also need the Off-Road Pack combined with either the Towing Pack or the Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack. Ray
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #862464 19th Oct 2020 4:48pm
umbertob

United States 
The Off-Road pack is the one you really need for the rear locking diff. The Advanced off-road capability pack - which you can either order on its own or get automatically when you order the towing pack - adds some conveniences (ATPC, configurable TR, TR2), all frills that are nice to have, but not as desirable as a rear locker if you do some more serious off-roading. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #862530 20th Oct 2020 6:44am
Tim in Scotland

On the UK configurator it is also available as a stand alone option without having to buy the roof rails, etc as part of the Off Road Pack so check on your regional configurator that it isn’t the same.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862558 20th Oct 2020 9:20am
tinez90

United States 
The electronic active differential has been on the US configurator since day one, both as part of the Off-Road Pack and as a standalone option under the "Capability and Dynamics" tab. Not sure how you could've missed it. If I was building one to do serious off-roading I would definitely include that pack as well as either the Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack or the Towing Pack.
Post #862845 21st Oct 2020 5:02pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
It seems crazy to me that LR build this new all singing all dancing "defender" without most of the off road toys that a decent 4x4 could do with.

The G has had difflocks since day 1 and continues to.
Post #862868 21st Oct 2020 6:47pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
... yet the “real” Defender only ever had a centre one, and the new G is about as likely to be seen in a field as Hamilton’s F1 car is.
Post #862874 21st Oct 2020 6:56pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
But at least the G has all the toys if needed.

The original LR was never spec'd with a resr locker so it doesn't really count does it?

If the nee defender is supposed to be such an good tool off road then why don't LR fit everything as standard
Post #862881 21st Oct 2020 7:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>