↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Ronnie Dahl Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Ronnie Dahl Review
I think this is pretty fair review from someone who knows how to drive off-road, plenty of knowledge and experience and doesn’t have any irons in the fire with regard to new v old Defender.

Interesting that he concludes that you still need to understand how to use the terrain response properly, it doesn’t just do everything automatically. Skill still required, just different skills? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #862275 18th Oct 2020 4:58pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Cop out at the end though, won't tell you if he would buy one, but asks you to tell him if you would!

What's he got his eye on?
Post #862281 18th Oct 2020 5:37pm
J77

Scotland 
Modern LRs with Terrain Response still need a bit of off road knowledge and understanding. Each setting isn’t just for the terrain the icon says, I’ve seen me use sand mode in deep snow.
Post #862284 18th Oct 2020 5:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Supacat wrote:
Cop out at the end though, won't tell you if he would buy one, but asks you to tell him if you would!

I actually think that’s a fair enough stance. For his specific use, I don’t think he would buy one. It’s not big or heavy duty enough. but that doesn’t make it a bad car, or that other folk shouldn’t buy one if they travel a bit lighter than he does. I particularly like the fact that he recognised that there is a lack of articulation but it isn’t necessarily a problem given the systems the car has. It’s a fundamentally different philosophy for getting across obstacles that’s all. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #862292 18th Oct 2020 6:46pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Supacat wrote:

Hi Supercat

Earlier in the year he did say on his channel that he was looking to get another vehicle and within the list he did mention the new Defender, though in the same sentence he did voice his concern about Discovery 3/4 owners on his tag along tours and the issues with the lower profile tyres and inability to air down much.

He has in fact bought a HiLux . Not started a build yet, just a few vids to show the vehicle in a standard set up.

Yes cop out at the end but i think that those that watch his channel would not have been surprised and can read between the lines......

I said ages ago that an error (polite) that JLR made was not to fit or allow a 33 inch tyre with the ability to speck up to a 35 for the Aussie and US markets (and us of cause).

I am sure that the French guy will be on the case.......Nurse, time for my meds......
Post #862307 18th Oct 2020 8:14pm
zilch

Australia 
both the dealer who loaned the Defender and "Ronny" should have spent the time to explain / learn about
the vehicle systems he was testing, i believe any body who spends their time explaining to people via social
media on how to do things, they would have at least done some basic research on the TR system and its application
in different off road conditions Whistle just saying ...... Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #862342 18th Oct 2020 11:47pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'd agree but JLR are selling the vehicle on exactly the opposite "Less expertise and effort required from the driver to exploit the full capabilities of the vehicle":

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post859467...ise#859467

Post #862348 19th Oct 2020 7:10am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
TBF, anyone can just set the TR to AUTO and drive off-road reasonably well.

I do it all the time, and AUTO on the L494's TR is good enough for most situations, except Sand, where you really need the rapid throttle response.

It's really only experienced off-roaders who will play with the specific/configurable TR settings, to try and extract the maximum out of the vehicle. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #862349 19th Oct 2020 7:40am
Tim in Scotland

Do you get a printed owners handbook down in Aus Zilch as here we have to own a smartphone or tablet and download an app to have any sort of operating instructions. It would appear that JLR assumes that owners who don’t live near Warwick have 4G or a good internet connection. Yesterday I was out in the hills with only 1 bar Edge connection and less for most of the day and wanted to explain part of TR to a guy who just bought a new to him Disco5 and he has no handbook in the car. It’s very shortsighted of JLR to assume that all buyers will have the equipment or signals to use the app. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862350 19th Oct 2020 7:40am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I doutb it, ZA also doesn't get a printed book. Rolling Eyes --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #862353 19th Oct 2020 7:51am
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
I'd agree but JLR are selling the vehicle on exactly the opposite "Less expertise and effort required from the driver to exploit the full capabilities of the vehicle":

there lays the problem, people just jumping in and thinking you can spin a dial.. a recipe for disaster,
that said i would humbly suggest that if this guys makes more than a few cents from his off road videos etc,
then he really should have been prepared before launching himself into the review.. even his fellow aussie are
having a go on the tinternet at his efforts Laughing

Quote:
Do you get a printed owners handbook down in Aus Zilch as here we have to own a smartphone or tablet and download an app to have any sort of operating instructions.

Tim we have the printed quick guide, shows you were the buttons are and then about 10 pages of disclaimers Whistle
I will get around to downloading the guide, but most things are very much the same as on the RRS.. just the buttons
are in different places or in software settings yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #862354 19th Oct 2020 7:52am
Tim in Scotland

We get the quick guide too here. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862357 19th Oct 2020 7:59am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Not sure I really follow the criticism of the various modes - as it stands, it’s a full-time 4WD car with a centre diff that isn’t driver-selectable (like virtually everything modern) and, optionally, a locking rear diff which isn’t separately driver-selectable - unless you’ve deliberately chosen the “wrong” TR settings, that doesn’t compromise the basic abilities of the car.
Post #862401 19th Oct 2020 12:04pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:

I said ages ago that an error (polite) that JLR made was not to fit or allow a 33 inch tyre with the ability to speck up to a 35 for the Aussie and US markets (and us of cause)

Various pictures of them on 35” floating around.
Post #862408 19th Oct 2020 12:28pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You can download the iGuide app to your phone and then it works offline no problem.
Post #862411 19th Oct 2020 12:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>