↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Aircon stopped working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Aircon stopped working
I thought the to do list was already long enough but my beloved defender just added another one Big Cry

The aircon has stopped working. I checked the fuse already and the light on the switch is working. The airco has been topped up a half year ago.

Which other checks I can perform on my driveway to deduce what the problem is? Or do I have to take the car to the garage? I suspect the white valve under the hood. Can I check the valve at home? a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #709079 25th May 2018 9:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I wouldn’t mess about with air con at home. Why was it topped up? Was there a leak or damage?
Post #709145 25th May 2018 4:13pm
Tdi4

Installation of new radiator. No other problems.

I don’t want to mess with it at home. I just hope to pin point the problem so I can order the parts before I take it in the workshop. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #709148 25th May 2018 4:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
When my radiator was replaced the air con condenser developed a leak shortly afterwards - might have been a coincidence Sad
Post #709188 25th May 2018 8:17pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Yes unfortunately they seem to be a high failure on the Tdci with the fins falling out. With aircon repair unfortunately it can become very expensive as once something falls apart you get cross contamination Neutral
Post #709205 25th May 2018 9:06pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Check the A/C relay.

Also, is the blower still working? If so, it's just not getting cold?

If the A/C relay is good, it may be your ignition switch.
Post #709242 26th May 2018 5:13am
Tdi4

Yes blower still working.

I am not sure where the ac relay is. Do you mean the relay under the steering wheel? a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #709247 26th May 2018 7:38am
Tdi4

And what could be the problem with the ignition? Since I have no other problems a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #709248 26th May 2018 7:41am
HardCharger

Hi Tdi4,

Since you're in The Netherlands, your truck should be the same as mine and there will be a relay under the front passenger's seat.

Can you also see if A/C compressor is kicking in when you turn the A/C on? If it hasn't seized yet, it could also be magnetic contacting coil issue. Check if the coil is still working, if it isn't, see if you can replace just the coil rather than the whole compressor.

As for the ignition, first time, I had issues with the blower not working and the second time, A/C functioning intermittently with a foul, sour smell from the vents when it did. Turns out it was the ignition switch was the culprit for both times.
Post #709262 26th May 2018 8:23am
Tdi4

Blower is working and don’t have a foul smell (other than my own Laughing )

I see in the manual are 2 relays for the aircon I Will check them both.

Just checked and i haven’t got any error codes in the ecu. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #709288 26th May 2018 12:27pm
Tdi4

Update: Aircon was almost completely empty. Just 18 of the 600 grams left. But we can't find any traces of the fluid???? Need to investigate further. Has anyone got any ideas? a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #712474 15th Jun 2018 4:35pm
HardCharger

Fluid? Or gas? The only fluid in your AC system asides from condensation is the oil in the compressor.

Now if you have low gas, you have a leak. Check externally first but it will be most likely the cooling coil inside the dash. Unless you know a guy who makes these for a living, you have to order the whole box from Land Rover / your favorite parts provider.

Best of luck and I hope you get it sorted.
Post #712569 16th Jun 2018 4:12am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
a/c has a life of it's own....

I had new intercooler fitted which required the a/c removal and refit. a couple of days later the fuse had blow. fuse replaced and all good for a couple of months then stopped.
was low on gas which I assumed meant a leak had been created during removal process..... eventually (12 months later) got it refilled and seemed fine for a while and then the cooling effect seemed to have reduced - I presumed the leak was still there and the effectiveness of the a/c had reduced. turns out a/c is fine but the heater valve isn't closing fully and hence the a/c is having to cool the infamously good heater Very Happy

anyhow I can't explain the fuse or leak but all seems good now? Thumbs Up
Post #712581 16th Jun 2018 7:35am
TriniDaddy

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Arles Blue
HardCharger wrote:
Hi Tdi4,

Since you're in The Netherlands, your truck should be the same as mine and there will be a relay under the front passenger's seat.

Can you also see if A/C compressor is kicking in when you turn the A/C on? If it hasn't seized yet, it could also be magnetic contacting coil issue. Check if the coil is still working, if it isn't, see if you can replace just the coil rather than the whole compressor.

As for the ignition, first time, I had issues with the blower not working and the second time, A/C functioning intermittently with a foul, sour smell from the vents when it did. Turns out it was the ignition switch was the culprit for both times.

Hey there guys. Hope you're all still around.

Having a similar but tricky issue with the blower. When the car is switched on and running the blower doesn't come on. If the the AC switch is pressed I can hear the compressor working.

When the key is in position 2 the blower comes on, the speeds change from 1-3 as well.

This happened yesterday after I was parked for 2mins. I always take the AC off before I switch of the car.

Any thoughts? 110 SW 2.4
IZUMI BLUE
Post #923811 30th Sep 2021 11:22pm
HardCharger

Is your radio still working when the truck is running? How about the lighter socket?

I've encountered this before where with the truck running, you can turn on the AC button and it will engage but no blower where normally, it'll run in blower position one whether you use the blower switch or not. No radio, and no power to the lighter socket. Like you, when I turned the key to position II but do not crank, all works as it should.

Ignition switch is your culprit.
Post #923816 1st Oct 2021 4:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>