↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Beat this?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Beat this?
Seeing this photo just makes me want to ask the management team at JLR - how on earth can the Defender compete in the North American market when it's up against the likes of this?

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #861848 16th Oct 2020 8:30am
goodtimes

United States 
American Anglophilia.
Badge carries cachet.
Options stretch up into the luxury category.
Bags make for a smoother ride.

The Bronco will take more market share from the Jeep Wrangler than eat into the Defender’s relatively modest aspirations in NA.
Post #861869 16th Oct 2020 9:55am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The other areas where the Bronco will win hands down is

Overland / offroad lifestyle is huge in the States

Many companies supporting the above and think outside of the box

The filming quality of many US You Tubers is amazing. They are good enough to be mini films. This in turn feeds to passion to know more about a vehicle and just get out and use it.....

What do we have in the UK, a few boring and predictable fashion boutique car pimpers aimed at the footballers market who will pay a lot of money to have a lowering kit, different seats. bigger alloys and extra thick shag pile.

Good luck to the Bronco and those lucky enough to get one when it ready to sell.
Post #861876 16th Oct 2020 10:15am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I watched Doug's 'feature' review of a prototype last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiszpuVpy4 and the Bronco is so much closer to what I had hoped for in the new Defender.
There are so many neat ideas built into it, and the heritage styling too.
I get that not everyone wants a leisure style vehicle, but LR already caters for the luxury end of the market.
And I do wonder if the leisure vehicle market is bigger than the luxury SUV market?
Maybe not as profitable per car, but greater numbers might have made up for that...

I'm still hoping LR will make the rumoured small Defender more leisure orientated, to compete with the Bronco/Wrangler.
Post #861884 16th Oct 2020 11:06am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Americans don’t believe in living dead boring lives, living with laws and restrictions and crap on everything you can dream of.

Hence why their economy is good, and less red tape barriers too.

They’re heading in the right direction, nor will their auto market go bust either dabbling in rubbish created from foreign climes.
They stuck with what they do best, and never forget their roots.

A lesson for JLR there, you won’t see a farmer on their adverts no more just like the NFU. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 16th Oct 2020 1:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #861885 16th Oct 2020 11:09am
SN

Have you seen how small that version of the Bronco is? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #861889 16th Oct 2020 11:43am
Philip

United Kingdom 
The Bronco (not the Sport) is essentially a T6 Ranger underneath, the hype is unreal.
Post #861902 16th Oct 2020 1:13pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
Yep. Everyone is going nuts over the Bronco here. Typically a different crowd than those looking at Land Rovers. Right or wrong I feel like Land Rovers carry a status similar to Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Cadillac etc. I don't know who would be buying a Defender to really utilize it as an off road vehicle. Jeep Wrangler and Bronco are apples to apples. Defender not really in the same ballpark. 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #861919 16th Oct 2020 3:10pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
StructuralDefect I think you're spot on. The new Defender has morphed into a luxury SUV and left its working class heritage behind and moved onto a different demographic. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #861931 16th Oct 2020 4:21pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Well most Defenders (classic) are now filled with quilted leather, sound deadening, 18+ inch wheels and stupid grills and ‘panoramic’ glass.
Blame Twisted, Kahn and thee posers out there for the new 2020 Defender. It’s what those that can afford want. Very Happy
Post #861952 16th Oct 2020 5:58pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Such a shame that Ford are not releasing it in the UK.... Rolling Eyes

Jim
Post #861988 16th Oct 2020 8:40pm
W84IT

United States 
I like the new Ford Bronco as much as I like the Jeep Wrangler but I don't think either one of them compare to the new Defender and I wouldn't chose either one of them over the new Defender. I think the Land Cruiser has the closest comparison to the new Defender. Ray
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #862251 18th Oct 2020 1:31pm
Tim in Scotland

This will beat it any day..........
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862274 18th Oct 2020 4:54pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
GREENI wrote:
Well most Defenders (classic) are now filled with quilted leather, sound deadening, 18+ inch wheels and stupid grills and ‘panoramic’ glass.
Blame Twisted, Kahn and thee posers out there for the new 2020 Defender. It’s what those that can afford want. Very Happy

Most? Question
Post #862276 18th Oct 2020 5:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Mine doesn’t have any quilts, sound deadening or 18” wheels and I’ve didn’t all day today with 30 more like it, unmolested but not one was how it left the factory, someone had some sort of modification to make it even better off-road or more secure when parked up. It must be all you city folks that only see customized Chelsea Tractors masquerading as Old style Defenders . Even though we have an agent for Urban in Edinburgh I think I’ve only ever seen one of their creations. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862296 18th Oct 2020 6:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>