↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Coolant loss possibly at EGR - bypass ok?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Coolant loss possibly at EGR - bypass ok?
Gidday all,

Losing a bit of coolant, not visible on the driveway or in the engine, but upon checking the expansion tank on a cold engine I noticed it over time.

Mechanic said pressure test was fine, no obvious leaks but also that 'it could be the EGR' and that 'the pressure test wont show that and you lose coolant in to the engine'.

Above my head for the moment but I did a little reading up on it including discussion about people blanking their EGR then bypassing its cooling system by simply connecting input hose to output.

I have a BAS remap with EGR bypass in the ECU - can I bypass the EGR cooling system the same way, or will I need to physically blank it also?

Alternatively, please tell me about the things I don't know yet that may make any of what i just typed nonsense Embarassed Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #667439 28th Nov 2017 4:04am
pannawonica

Australia 
Plastic degas bottle can leak a bit when hot, also the plastic heater valve. However if you bypass the cooler you will find out. I doubt there is any hot gases flowing through it wink! Thumbs Up Laughing
Post #667467 28th Nov 2017 9:50am
pannawonica

Australia 
My thoughts is too b e clear is joining the coolant pipes Thumbs Up
Post #667469 28th Nov 2017 9:54am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I have just had my radiator changed after my local Indy took off the fan cowling for another job and found a leak on the side of the radiator, I saw no evidence on the bottom of the radiator or the engine. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #667474 28th Nov 2017 10:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Puma EGR coolers are not known for being leak prone, but it is possible. As your EGR is turned off in the map, even if the EGR cooler is leaking you won't be leaking coolant into the engine - and water entering the cooler will be on the exhaust side and will probably simply evaporate into the exhaust gas stream. If you had a catastrophic internal failure of the cooler it would be potentially very bad since coolant could conceivably enter the block through an open exhaust valve when a hot engine is shut off. I have never heard of this happening though.

Over the years I have on three occasions suffered from noticeable coolant loss from my '07 2.4: The first was due to a faulty expansion tank cap, it looked fine but I would loose perhaps 1/2" per week of coolant. A new cap cured this. The second was a leak from the water pump gland, this is really hard to spot since the pump is buried under the fuel pump and the gland drain is between the timing case and the water pump. A new pump cured this. The third was a minor leak in the original radiator, which was squirting coolant at the fan and dispersing it so effectively that you couldn't see any trace of it leaking (just like ARC99 above). This was actually spotted by my helpful MOT tester when it dripped on him during an MOT. A new radiator cured this.

To be honest if it really is only a minor loss then I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just keep an eye on it in case it gets worse.
Post #667492 28th Nov 2017 10:59am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Well worth a look here too.....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There is a little O ring where the pipe end pushes into the oil filter housing,
These become hard over time and can leak/drip, but because of the heat will evaporate,
Look for pink/white staining. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #667500 28th Nov 2017 11:20am
Phantom

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
The Puma EGR coolers are not known for being leak prone, but it is possible. As your EGR is turned off in the map, even if the EGR cooler is leaking you won't be leaking coolant into the engine - and water entering the cooler will be on the exhaust side and will probably simply evaporate into the exhaust gas stream. If you had a catastrophic internal failure of the cooler it would be potentially very bad since coolant could conceivably enter the block through an open exhaust valve when a hot engine is shut off. I have never heard of this happening though.

Over the years I have on three occasions suffered from noticeable coolant loss from my '07 2.4: The first was due to a faulty expansion tank cap, it looked fine but I would loose perhaps 1/2" per week of coolant. A new cap cured this. The second was a leak from the water pump gland, this is really hard to spot since the pump is buried under the fuel pump and the gland drain is between the timing case and the water pump. A new pump cured this. The third was a minor leak in the original radiator, which was squirting coolant at the fan and dispersing it so effectively that you couldn't see any trace of it leaking (just like ARC99 above). This was actually spotted by my helpful MOT tester when it dripped on him during an MOT. A new radiator cured this.

To be honest if it really is only a minor loss then I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just keep an eye on it in case it gets worse.

Puma egrs do leak, seen two at my workshop over the last 12 months, one customers engine dropped enough coolant with the egr issue to blow his head gasket - 2.2 Tdci
Post #668106 30th Nov 2017 11:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Interesting, although I still don't think it is a common problem .... yet. As Pumas get older, who knows.
Post #668109 30th Nov 2017 11:29pm
Natlas

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Came across this thread while searching for EGR cooler leaks. My 2.2 is in the stealers at the moment having engine light fault investigated, also noticed recent drop of coolant level, 1/2 litre so far so just topped up.
Stealer advised EGR valve required replacing, and then found a leak in the EGR cooler which would explain the coolant level dropping.
Maybe this is becoming a problem as the 2.2's start to age a little. Mileage is about 75K.
Not looking forward to this bill but hopefully won't have to revisit this part of the engine for another 75K miles. Shocked 2.2 90 XS
88" Series One
Old Norton Smile
Minerva
Post #869241 23rd Nov 2020 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1