↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Importing / Has anyone imported a Puma Defender 110 Utility
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
abbztract

Australia 
Importing / Has anyone imported a Puma Defender 110 Utility
Sooo.

I’m looking to import a second-hand 2012 Land Rover Defender Utility Wagon from the UK to Aus and was hoping to get some assistance with the process.

As you all know, the Defender was not made available in Australia in the Utility Wagon model but was in the Station Wagon model. The UK and European models were also launched with greater safety features having ABS and Traction Control and Stability control as standard unlike the local models which weren't.

The compliance plate approval issued to Land Rover for the Defender in 2008 (linked below) mentions the “chassis-cab” model being non-compliant but not the Defender Utility which falls in the compliant models.

MOTOR VEHICLE STANDARDS ACT 1989

Additionally, the 2009 Road Safety Committee’s Inquiry into the Process of Development, Adoption and Implementation of Australian Design Rules has VicRoads and the then Minister for Roads and Ports quoted as stating that the EU vehicular safety standards exceeded those of the ADR and that Australia should accept those standards into the ADR for better safety suggesting that EU specced vehicles meet and exceed ADR requirements. https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/pa...06-10No259.pdf

The simple quiz on the Infrastructure GOV website says I may be eligible under the Letter of Compliance or Discretionary Approval methods.

Does the approval issued to Land Rover linked above count as a Letter of Compliance or is there an alternative pathway I must follow to continue this process?

Would I be able to import this under the SEVS scheme? This applies to all vehicle models than 25 years where at least 3 months have passed since the model was first made available in another country.
Certain models that were sold here new can still be imported if they are “significantly different” versions of the locally sold model. So if the manufacturer decided not to offer all variants for sale in Australia or a special commemorative model, you may be able to import one of those, either new or secondhand.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has tried or has knowledge of anyone who has successfully imported a modern vehicle withiest already owning it overseas prior to import.
Post #861262 12th Oct 2020 10:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm sorry, I can't help with any of that stuff. I just wanted to point out that stability control was only fitted to the last year or so of production and so won't feature on a 2012 model. You'll still get ABS and traction control with an XS spec. vehicle and possibly others if it was spec'ed as an option. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #861293 13th Oct 2020 7:00am
abbztract

Australia 
Thanks for bringing that up! Thats a good pointer. I’ll have to keep that in mind! I really appreciate it.
Post #861337 13th Oct 2020 9:57am
abbztract

Australia 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't help with any of that stuff. I just wanted to point out that stability control was only fitted to the last year or so of production and so won't feature on a 2012 model. You'll still get ABS and traction control with an XS spec. vehicle and possibly others if it was spec'ed as an option.

Mate, I’m trying to work out what the differences are between the Defenders sold in Aus and UK. I see you’re based there and have a 2013 USW which is exactly what I’m hoping to get too.

Could you do me a massive favour and maybe PM me the VIN on yours? I just want to use VIN Decoder (or similar website) and see what the diffidence is between the UK models and AUS models. Thats the only way I’ll know if I can get a UK one here. I wouldn’t ask but the local LR HQ asked me to tell them what exact car I’m getting and idk yet because I can’t work out what the difference is and thus can’t tell if the one’s I’m looking at in the UK are compliant.

I’d really really appreciate it if you could help.
Post #861865 16th Oct 2020 8:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1