↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Auto Stop/Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
StructuralDefect

United States 
Auto Stop/Start
Is there a way to permanently disable the auto Stop/start feature on the new Defender? I always remember to push the button after the first time but it's just super annoying. 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #861044 11th Oct 2020 8:09pm
Tim in Scotland

As far as I am aware there is no way to disable it without bypassing things which a few people have tried over on the RRSport Forum if you do a search there.
However, there is one way to prevent it cutting in without fiddling in things, in the diesels if you brake the car gently to a stop it will hold the car in “hold’ (green “hold” icon on the dash)on the gradient release system without activating the auto stop/start. You only need to press the foot brake very gently, if you press too hard it brings up the EPB red light on the dash and the stop/start will activate. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 11th Oct 2020 8:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #861047 11th Oct 2020 8:16pm
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
I wondered this from a general perspective, see the last question on this thread;

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74799.html

Don't know the answer. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #861049 11th Oct 2020 8:19pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why would you want to turn off stop/start? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #861059 11th Oct 2020 10:41pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Because it’s yet another pointless technology that costs more money in the long run? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #861060 11th Oct 2020 10:45pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Zed wrote:
Why would you want to turn off stop/start?

From personal experience, it's fine with a manual gear box as the engine restarts when you use the clutch. In an automatic, it's a total pain as it doesn't restart until you use the accelerator and want to move.

No idea about the reliability in a Defender, but my father-in-law has been through 3 batteries and a starter motor in his Ford.
Post #861070 12th Oct 2020 5:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
mk1collector wrote:
Because it’s yet another pointless technology that costs more money in the long run?

This, and yet one more thing to go wrong.
Post #861088 12th Oct 2020 8:34am
zilch

Australia 
One of the first things I disable when I start the vehicle up, it would be interesting to understand
the impact on the Turbo’s longevity or whether there is some oil temp monitor that prevents
the engine switching off until it has cooled down sufficiently yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #861112 12th Oct 2020 10:26am
Tim in Scotland

On the D240 Diesel there is either a pump or a fan that runs on for round 5 minutes after switching off and locking the car, not sure if it is both turbos being cooled or if it is something else being circulated/ cooled Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #861114 12th Oct 2020 10:42am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
AMBxx wrote:
Zed wrote:
Why would you want to turn off stop/start?

From personal experience, it's fine with a manual gear box as the engine restarts when you use the clutch. In an automatic, it's a total pain as it doesn't restart until you use the accelerator and want to move.

No idea about the reliability in a Defender, but my father-in-law has been through 3 batteries and a starter motor in his Ford.

I've only driven stop/start with manual gearbox, which as you say is fine. It would be annoying if not seamless.

As for reliability. I wouldn't buy any Land Rover if that was a concern! WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #861121 12th Oct 2020 11:26am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Whistle

--
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #861169 12th Oct 2020 3:40pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Why cant you just switch it off when you get in the car, in the same way you switch the A/C on and off.

My wife's has it on her current RRV and the three previous LR's before. You just get used to it.

The only time i turn it off is when on a hill and turning at a junction. That's the only time i don't like it switching off the engine

No point in messing with software, why would you give JLR an excuse to say that you have voided the warrantee or your insurance company to void a claim.
Post #861219 12th Oct 2020 7:48pm
Tim in Scotland

Same here, I don’t even bother to switch it off for junctions now I’ve got the hang of getting the gradient hold to cut in so the auto stop start doesn’t Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #861243 12th Oct 2020 8:54pm
umbertob

United States 
It is pretty retarded. I imagine if you were stuck at traffic lights in a city for most of your driving life you may perhaps realize some meaningful savings in fuel, otherwise it's just stupid. And, it stalled on me a couple of times already in a "false start" situation: Start/stop is active at a stop light, car in front of you starts moving, you touch the gas pedal but, just as you do that, the car in front stops again. You quickly press the brake pedal just as the engine gets going and, 1 out of 3 times, the engine will shut off and the car will switch to Park. Only way to get things going again is to start the engine with the ignition button. While you figure out what happened, the guy behind you is not happy and you may actually get rear ended. Not a fan. It is fairly smooth when it does work, but whenever I remember to do so, I turn it off. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #861253 12th Oct 2020 9:40pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Just one of the many features that one is required to deactivate as part of the ‘pre-flight checks’ seemingly necessary in modern cars to maintain sanity.

Stop/start off, auto wipers off, auto lights off, lane assist off etc. etc.
Post #861260 12th Oct 2020 10:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>