↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 2011 won’t start, but turns over...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sailawaybrad

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
2.4 2011 won’t start, but turns over...
HELP PLEASE!

My 2010 2.4 110 won’t start. (Got my brother to tow me home)

Last week or so I noticed the Landy occasionally missing a beat or temporary loosing power for a few seconds....

Then yesterday in the middle of a very stressful house move where my family and I were looking like we were going to be homeless for the weekend the defender decided not to start once I had the keys to the new house in my hand.

Turns over, just no go.

Any ideas? 2011 2.4 110 Utility Wagon
1963 2.25 88 Soft top
Post #859659 4th Oct 2020 7:29am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
S.H.M.B.O. had this about 2 or 3 years ago with the 110 and I read on here about having the drivers door open and the keys either in or close to the ignition for to long and the vehicle not starting, if you take the keys out of the vehicle shut and lock the door, let the alarm system settle the open the door and try starting the vehicle it should work. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #859713 4th Oct 2020 11:21am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Good tip, ARC99, still happens in mine even after 12 years of ownership. I've learnt from on here that if it turns over it usually isn't the AS10. That points to the ECU not firing it due to a sensor. Which one is the question. Have you checked fuse 21? Last time this happened it was the crank shaft sensor damaged. Let us know what the remedy was so we can all learn. Peter
Post #859729 4th Oct 2020 12:25pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
The fact you said it was loosing power etc beforehand suggests to me it's a fuel related issue.

The 2.4 has no lift pump in the tank so once you get air in the system it can be very difficult to restart it without manually sucking fuel through to the pump.

The first thing I'd be doing is checking if you have fuel at the injectors (don't try to start the engine with the fuel pipes off the injectors as if it starts coming through at high pressure it's dangerous).

If nothing found there work your way back and hopefully you'll find something. Another good place to check is the fuel cooler on the chassis rail. I wouldn't advise removing the pipe here though without having some sort of manual pump to prime the system after.

I've also had a bad fuel filter before that caused similar issues, so it's also worth checking that and replacing them priming the system again. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #859863 5th Oct 2020 8:19am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Sounds fuel related alright. Check the fuel filter first to see if it's on there tight and that you can't wobble it in any direction when it is. Check the fuel lines to see if there is any visible wet spots or leaks.

Since you're on your 12th year of ownership, have you ever changed the VCV?

Check the top of the engine block where the injectors enter the block, are they we with diesel around the injectors? Time for new seals then. When changing the seals, change the large black o-ring, the green 0-rings, and the copper washers at the same time. Since you'll have to remove the engine cover to replace the black o-rings, get a new engine cover gasket as well. Don't forget to clean out where the injectors go into and the injectors themselves while you're at it.

Keep us posted Thumbs Up
Post #860015 6th Oct 2020 4:42am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
As you aee moving house - do you have both sets of keys in the front of the cab at the same time ... ???
if so separate them and put one set in the back and try again

Having 2 sets of keys upsets the alarm system and stops the vehicle starting - This happened to me on the day I was selling our last 110 !

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #860018 6th Oct 2020 6:34am
sailawaybrad

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Thanks all for the advise.....turns out it was a split/perished hose on the fuel filter! 2011 2.4 110 Utility Wagon
1963 2.25 88 Soft top
Post #868452 19th Nov 2020 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1