↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Gilerra 50 trails motorbike
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
Gilerra 50 trails motorbike
This has been in my wifes family for as long as anyone can remember (maybe even since new?) It was driven into a garage about 30 years ago and not moved since.

It is a Gilerra 50 trails. The moped version because it has bicycle style pedals, which I believe were required back in the day to comply with the law that allowed 16 years olds to ride it.

Click image to enlarge

So to cure some lockdown boredom I dug it out of the garage and set about bringing it back to life. A clean of the carb, plug and some fresh fuel and it starts and runs nicely, even the brakes work and tyres hold air! I have resisted the urge to clean it and rub down the chrome-work.

I know very little else about it, is anyone on here a Gilerra fan who can give me anymore information on it? General consensus is that it should be sold to someone who appreciates it a lot more than I do. Any idea of it's value or where to sell it?

Thumbs Up
Post #859824 4th Oct 2020 7:36pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
A mint one sold on ebay recently for £3000.

One in bits sold for £1000 and a rough one sold for £300.
Post #859826 4th Oct 2020 7:43pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi, I sold my 1976 Yamaha DT100 about 18 months ago for £900 it was a runner but needed tidying, in my opinion you’re bike is Quite a bit rarer than mine however I know with the DT parts are readily available whereas I’m not sure how easy it would be to get bits for yours being a rarer model, I’ve got to say I very much like the look of this and will watch this with interest as I’m now looking for a project for my workshop as due to Covid I have done everything that required doing to our house garden allotment and Land Rover Thumbs Up and now wish I’d kept the DT Rolling Eyes good luck with whatever you decide to do with this Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #859952 5th Oct 2020 4:56pm
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
Treat it to some new tyres and oil change, Mot and just ride it as is Thumbs Up
Post #859962 5th Oct 2020 6:00pm
Neilios

England 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Keswick Green
Agree with that sentiment, sort it and ride it. I have been enjoying old low power bikes for a while now👌 1997 110 Hi-Cap Keswick Green
1997 90 Truck Cab Blue
1996 Discovery Pickup
Post #859998 5th Oct 2020 8:35pm
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
Thanks for all the comments. I'll take a few more photos in the daylight for those that are interested. Making it safe for road use has crossed my mind, however at 6ft 4 sitting on it makes the Defender look roomy! It has been suggested that I look for a second one to wear on the other foot.... I do plan on taking it to a friends farm to give it a run around the fields though.

On the spares front, I have been pointed in the direction of Bob Wright who stocks most parts for these, although it doesn't really need anything (at least not unless it was to be made road worthy). I have an early 90 and a grey Fergie sat in a barn awaiting attention, so don't see me doing much more to this. It is nice to have a project that only needs about six square feet of space to work on though!
Post #860007 5th Oct 2020 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1