↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 in a showroom...too expensive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chawks

United Kingdom 
Td5 in a showroom...too expensive?
Sorry to ask as these 'what's it worth' posts are probably very irritating....but seen a very tidy 1999 Td5 90 csw priced at £13.5k. Bodywork very clean, chassis looks good from a quick look. 124k miles
I'm thinking it's a lot of money as this dealer does tend to have pricey Defenders for sale.

Any advice would be appreciated
Post #858998 30th Sep 2020 7:12pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Yes, it's expensive for a 21 year old defender, but the condition and originality are critical to if it's worth that or not.
Bear in mind most vehicles aren't as good as they first appear, once you start taking a good look.
Any non original additions, wheels, aftermarket grills, interior trim, lights,will devalue in my opinion.

The crazy prices now being asked for some series LRs makes that seem reasonable.
Don't bank on these prices staying high forever. The looming employment situation, vilification of diesel and rush to electric may change things.
Only you can decide if it's worth it for you. Thumbs Up
Post #859009 30th Sep 2020 8:02pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Several years on I still cannot second guess Defender prices Laughing. It is a lot for a 21 year old car but a quick look on autotrader suggests its not hugely overpriced. I'm in no rush to get one as my cough cough L200 has been ultra reliable and ideal for carting horse related gumpf around , the Defender will be my weekend toy.
Post #859014 30th Sep 2020 8:17pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
If it was totally original, probably worth it, but seems expensive. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #859016 30th Sep 2020 8:25pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Looks tidy and a high spec one. Possibly a couple of grand over what it should be, but Td5s hold their price, and life can be short.
Post #859058 1st Oct 2020 7:59am
thinman21

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Does it feel right when you look round it - is there any clunking from the drivetrain, A-Frame, suspension?

Is there a good service history that shows oil changes?

When was a clutch done (they should go for quite high mileages compared with normal 60k motors, but less if loads of towing has been done).

Does that price include VAT? If it does, it's not wildly off (as andy says 1-2k) what you might pay elsewhere - if its Ex-Vat - walk away and go find one elsewhere.

Check where the oil leaks are from (there are always oil leaks) and work out if you can fix them or if you need to pay someone to.

Most importantly check the chassis - and on the top of the chassis for rot - its expensive to get it sorted - same with the bulkhead, and front window seal if its perished and leaking.

Go have a look when its raining - and see where the water ingress is under the mats, and check the seat box for rot in the side panels.

All these things add to the cost once you've got it home - its ok paying high price for a good 'un - if you've then got to spend 2k fixing it, its not a great feeling.

Cheers,

Rob.
Post #859345 2nd Oct 2020 3:21pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Deffo too much, I paid £13k for a 2003 90csw with all the extras and 80k on the clock. Keep looking is my recommendation
Post #859414 2nd Oct 2020 8:27pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Whether it’s local or not is a big factor.
If it is local, then it’s worth a look. If it 200 miles away and you think it’s overpriced I’d keep looking elsewhere.
Personally i think if it’s in overall good condition it’s not massively overpriced, as has been mentioned above. 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #859418 2nd Oct 2020 8:36pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all of the advice and tips. It's about 10 minutes away from me so worth another closer look. The garage has been in business many years and has some nice Defenders often, all priced quite high but they sell. I paid £3250 for my last G reg 200tdi 90 and regret letting it go!
Post #859449 2nd Oct 2020 11:34pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Looks very much like it's had a paint job, in which case look very carefully at what's been covered up... black tread plate on sills, what else has been masked?

Do not just look at bulkhead corners for signs of rust, they'll have been skimmed with filler before the respray, look inside at the top of the footwell behind the trim - bet you'll find the bulkhead under the heater box is rusted to heck. Check the battery box out under the passenger seat too as well as the rear cross member - use the handle of a heavy'ish screwdriver to tap in the area between the jacking holes & the tailgate hinge as that's where they'll go - basically around where the chassis legs meet the cross member. Even if there are signs it's had a rear cross member replaced they don't last forever so don't rely on just seeing the overlap on the chassis in the rear wheel well.

Is there rubber matting or carpet in the rear tub? - CSW should be carpeted. If it's just a rubber mat lift it up to see what state the floor is in - is it nicely painted or does it show years of use.

Look at the bulkhead behind the seats to see if there is a difference in paint colour - maybe same colour but dull, or use the selfie camera on your phone to see if the paint is the same colour up under the capping that runs across the top of it. Black wheels, new side decals, etc make me think that this one may have been blinged up for resale.

Look at the inside of the rear door frame - this age 90 should have the older type rear door, to see if the frame has cracked. Also look at the front door frames to see if there is cracking about inline with the bottom of the window.

What does the door striker plate look like, has it got seat on the top of it? Can you lift the end of the open door & feel/see movement in the hinges, what state are the door seals in, etc. all good indications of what sort of life the car has had previously.

One obvious thing to do is check the V5 - if it's a genuine CSW it will say so on there.

Make a note of the VIN number & run it through an HPI check but also put it into www.vindecoderz.com which will give you the original build,spec of the car.

As for price, in honesty I would never consider spending the sort of money this is listed at for a Defender - to put it into perspective it's the same as I paid 12 months ago for a 1 owner, full LRSH, 60k miles 2013 Freelander 2 Sd4 HSE with 2 years Land Rover Approved Used Warranty.

(It's also 10x what I paid for a '54 plate Discovery 2 V8 HSE earlier this year AND that came with just as many leaks as a Defender too Rolling with laughter )
Post #859502 3rd Oct 2020 9:35am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I too am local to the dealer on whose forecourt that is pictured and it does have a steady throughput of decent looking vehicles at admittedly premium prices, but they sell steadily and I have never heard bad things about them.

It strikes me that it is a top whack price, but worth a look, there might be negotiating space, decent warranty, and so on. It's pretty low mileage for a '99.

I must me fairly local to you, Chawks. I recognised the location immediately!
Post #859504 3rd Oct 2020 9:52am
landy andy

Any chance of a link to the sales advert, or the garage. May provide more assistance.
Post #859510 3rd Oct 2020 10:27am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
It's got 300tdi decals. Were TD5s painted in Coniston green ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #859523 3rd Oct 2020 11:32am
landy andy

Is that a garage in the Kent area?
If so I may know it, and not think much of it.
Post #859525 3rd Oct 2020 11:44am
dorsetsmith

no Wimborne Dorset
Post #859526 3rd Oct 2020 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>