↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > NHS COVID APP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
NHS COVID APP
I downloaded the app on Thursday 24th, like a good person should.

Friday morning, I went out on my bike for about 3 hours, when I got home my battery on my phone was down to 2%.... I usually get home with about 70% for the same times.

I then deleted the app.

I need my phone when I'm out on the bike in case I get into some trouble, anything can happen and over the years has, twice I've called for ambulances, a few times to friends families, police etc etc.. as well as being rescued myself due to mechanical or simply 'getting the knock' Laughing
I can't risk being out and having my battery die at a time I need it most.

A bit sad really.

However, it does seem like the app is flawed in many ways, the information it gets is as only good as people put into it....
Post #858741 29th Sep 2020 12:37pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Just looked at battery usage and it’s accounting for 3% on my iPhone since last week.

I have no idea but perhaps it varies by device, GPS Or Bluetooth use?

Edit to add clearly it’s a frustration! JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content

Last edited by Lodelaner on 29th Sep 2020 12:53pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #858744 29th Sep 2020 12:53pm
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I just turned the bluetooth off once I realised it was draining my battery... I then turn it on and off to suit myself... which isn't really ideal but I suppose it's fine if you're popping out for a short while and maybe in close contact with others which is when you really want to use it.

I went out walking on Sunday for about 5 hours and left the bluetooth off and only turned it on again when I popped into a pub midway for a little light refreshment Thumbs Up
Post #858745 29th Sep 2020 12:53pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I don’t understand why we aren’t being asked to check in, then check out of places. How do they know how long you remain in the establishment? Pop in grab a coffee then three hours later someone infected goes in, what happens?
Post #858746 29th Sep 2020 12:55pm
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
My understanding is your phone has to be in close proximity for 15 minutes to another phone (who's owner later tests positive and records the result in their app) for anything to be triggered (hence the Bluetooth requirement).

If someone goes in 3 hours after your visit your phone will not pick anything up so you'll be none the wiser Thumbs Up
Post #858751 29th Sep 2020 1:19pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
As above
I believe it utilises Bluetooth connectivity between peoples phones. As Bluetooth only has a few meters range It will likely time stamp the time when your were in range of the other persons phone and then time stamp when you were out of range. Hence it will know when your phone was in a few meters proximity of another phone and for how long. To my knowledge Bluetooth does not have the capability to know the exact distance between the phones at any point.

One issue is it assumes the phone is with you. So if left in a locker, an unattended bag, a car etc and another phone is within range, either in a persons possession or in another car, locker or unattended bag it assumes you as a person have been in close proximity to another person. So potential false positives could be derived by the app regarding people being in close proximity to each other.
Post #858755 29th Sep 2020 1:43pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
If it’s all done via Bluetooth why bother with qr codes?
Post #858758 29th Sep 2020 2:00pm
s55shh

United Kingdom 
because 30% of the population do not have compatible phones.
Post #858760 29th Sep 2020 2:21pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
My poor old iPhone 6 won't download the app. My wife has a newer iPhone. She has the app. I just asked her and she and she hasn't noticed the battery going down any more than usual.

It is something when even your Mum and Dad have better and newer phones than what you have...... Shocked
Post #858764 29th Sep 2020 2:40pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My understanding is that the QR Code element complements the Bluetooth functionality.

If you scan the QR Code then the App knows your phone ID has been at that location during the day from the timestamp of your scan. It also knows which other phones have checked into the location using the QR code. If anyone tests positive and enters their test code into the App on their phone then the system will contact everyone's phone that was at the same QR Code location on the same day to advise them to self isolate.

The Bluetooth functionality runs in parallel (but is not dependant on the scanning of a QR code) and keeps a track of contact time between phone IDs in close proximity over a period of time. If the owner of a phone ID tests positive and enters the result in their phone, then the App is able to contact those other phone ID's who were considered to be in close enough contact for sufficient time to be at risk.

It's all done anonymously and does of course rely on people logging the fact that they have tested positive and then those who are notified self isolating for 14 days. And of course installing the App in the 1st place and having Bluetooth running.
Post #858765 29th Sep 2020 3:12pm
Tim in Scotland

I’m using the NHS Scotland app and that’s hardly made any difference to battery consumption.

Last Saturday I got a letter from ONS/Scottish Governemnt asking my household (anyone over the age of two) to participate in weekly C-19 testing for the next 16 weeks and to have a blood sample taken for analysis. None of my neighbours got the letter. I applied on Saturday on the phone and all lines were busy but press 1 and somebody will get in touch. Sunday evening got a phone call and yesterday a nurse came to my house to show me how to do the swab and she took a blood sample at the same time. Just had the resul back this afternoon............. thank goodness negative as I have a busy fortnight coming up! Somebody will be coming to give me a swab for samples weekly now until the end of the project. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #858770 29th Sep 2020 4:06pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I was expecting it to drain my old samsung but doesn't seem any worse than normal. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #858836 29th Sep 2020 8:36pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I thought the App was a battery hog, turned out IOS 14.1 was the culprit Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #858868 29th Sep 2020 10:12pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I seem to recall, that's not the first time a new iOS has done that?

Perhaps Muddybigdog it is Apple trying to coax you into buying a new phone Rolling with laughter
Post #858887 30th Sep 2020 8:20am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Not like Apple to push out a new update, get feedback from users and then push out a fix 🙄. And to think Microsoft used to get ripped into for having their customers do beta testing.....
Post #858890 30th Sep 2020 8:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>