Home > Wheels & Tyres > Defender Tyre choice and where to buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Plantagenet

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
Defender Tyre choice and where to buy
Hi all,

Apologies - appreciate this topic has been done to death but I can't find a recent thread.

My MY13 Defender needs new tyres to replace the original Cross Contacts. It is a standard car on original boosts. Can I get some recommendations for a good ATB tyre for road handling and low road noise given it spends 99% of the time on road. No great desire to get wide tyres unless you folk recommend them.

Finally, any suggestions as to where is best to buy these.

Thanks in advance, James
Post #858509 28th Sep 2020 8:43am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
235s conti contacts is what you currently have - have they been lacking at all? if not replace with same.

if yes, what element have they been lacking in?

if you want something that looks more aggressive - BFG AT

if you want something that more winter orientated from sips perspective (BFG are three peak) then Nokian LT2s work well. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #858511 28th Sep 2020 8:51am
Adammacky

United Kingdom 
I bought 265/75/16 cooper discoverer AT3s a few months ago.

Also spend most time on road and am impressed with little road noise and they handle great in the rain too.

Had them from Camskill, very good prices there, not a huge selection on bigger 4x4 tyres but prices are better than anywhere else i could find.

I've always bought tyres for previous cars from them as they have always been a great price and good service too.
Post #858519 28th Sep 2020 9:33am
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Michelin latitude cross, quiet and a good ride, plus a nice classic understated look Smile
Post #858557 28th Sep 2020 12:55pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The Conti Cross Contacts are an excellent AT in my experience, if you've no complaints, stick with them. The only minor criticism I have is the sidewalls are prone to damage when running low pressures off road. They are great in most conditions with obvious exception of deep mud (I once tobogganed down a wet muddy slope and only pure luck avoided a tree Shocked ). They even cope well in snow despite not being mountain/snowflake marked. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #858558 28th Sep 2020 1:13pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Are the Conti Cross Contacts still available?

The reason I ask is that I am going to replace my rubber next year (unless something nasty happens this year) and followed Graftys post on his tyre selection. This got me thinking. I tried a couple of on-line tyre selectors and at the standard Boost tyre size, nothing shows for Continental's - unless it was very late and I just got it completely wrong Whistle

I have had no issues with the Continentals and was just going to swap like for like. But I don't want a lot from a tyre. I don't drive a lot off road, I don't drive hard on tarmac, and I take it steady in the wet.

As for where to buy, personally, unless you are on a very tight budget, I would use a local independent to source my tyres. These people live and breathe tyres and their advice can be invaluable. Also, in the unlikely event that you have problems, you can just pop down the road for advice. You may have to pay a tad more than the on-line sellers, but for me, that's a price worth paying. Savings on tyres are not usually enormous. It makes me chuckle as I know people who will drive 60 miles to get tyres fitted £5 a corner cheaper.
Post #858619 28th Sep 2020 7:29pm
Tr90

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic73295.html

Worth a look at this thread.

Very happy with these tyres.
Post #858621 28th Sep 2020 7:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm very pleased with my General Grabber AT3's. They're quiet, grippy and winter rated, which was an important factor for me. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #858639 28th Sep 2020 9:21pm
Bish

2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I cannot stress what a difference fitting BF Goodrich AT tyres to a Defender does. Conti Cross Cross contact are ok but probably old and worn/feathered now so a bit noise and uncompromising in terms of ride quality.

I have just fitted 2 sets of BF Goodrich At to my Defenders and went for the 265/75 16 option and I am so impressed. The way in which the vehicle now rides is noticeably different even at very low speeds.

I feel they provide amazing levels of grip on wet and dry tarmac and so far have been very good 'off road'.

Yes they are more expensive but the improvement is worth every penny.

Bish
Post #859325 2nd Oct 2020 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1