↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.4 cutting out repeatedly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zixxer

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Puma 2.4 cutting out repeatedly
Hello lads - I’ve read and re-read dozens of previous posts attempting to diagnose an ongoing problem on my 2.4 110 which I’ve come to a dead end on

She repeatedly cuts out when warmed up and restarts every time. Often the engine hiccups or dives and catches itself just before cutting out and it happens when you engage the clutch approaching junctions or times I’m driving along and drop the clutch to change gear.

Sometimes when standing still and out of gear if I blip the throttle she’ll rev up and then come down to tick over and hiccup or cut out completely.

She is presenting no codes and I’m as certain as I can be the intercooler hoses are secure, intercooler (Allisport) is perfect and no blowing anywhere on intake or exhaust manifolds. She is straight piped with no silencers or cat and has a BAS remap.

SCV and injector seals were renewed last year and she is fully pump relearned and pilot corrected.

I’m convinced it’s fuel related but of course might be wrong.

Any help would be really appreciated
Post #857642 23rd Sep 2020 3:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Replace the VCV.

Weird running and no fault codes is usually (but not always) indicative of a VCV fault.
Post #857676 23rd Sep 2020 6:14pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Oddly it is worth checking the engine cooling system.

The Cylinder Head Temperature sensor is much more sensitive than temperature gauge and if the engine is slightly overheating it will introduce a misfire prior to cutting the engine which restarts easily.

It feels like dirty diesel and is probably the last thing you would check! Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #857717 23rd Sep 2020 7:55pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Mine would randomly cut out while driving but no fault codes

Dashboard dials all go dead, no warning no spluttering and would do it once in 3 months or 3 times in one trip...

Very unnerving on the motorway just losing all power. Sometimes it restarted without me turning the key other times I had to restart.

Turns out it was the ignition barrel, the circuit must have been just missing the contacts. Its been 18 months or so changed and no issues Smile
Post #857720 23rd Sep 2020 7:59pm
chrisc2306

Scotland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Mines been doing the same recently, had a fault on the glow plug circuit, replaced the glow plugs, vcv, fuel rail pressure sensor, oil, diesel filter and coolant. It’s definitely better after that but it’ll still cut out when cold and struggle to restart for a few minutes, worse when in neutral than when it’s in a gear with the clutch down
Post #857743 23rd Sep 2020 8:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Try bridging the clutch switch, when that fails it can cause bizarre issues and also the battery’s clamps and grounding points.

VCV like Blackwolf mentioned is another culprit. (He is far more knowledgable on said subject than me).
Perhaps the new VCV was duff, perhaps contaminated diesel.
Shouldn’t have needed any recalibrated or relearning. On mine I simple swapped it over and ran like a dream immediately.

No cold weather now, but when there was have you noticed any orator idling revs?
Usually immediately after starting and low speed under 10mph and low gear manuvering.

MAF and MAP sensor cleaning is worth a shot too.
These things I’ve mentioned are a few I’ve had trouble with and are fairly common it’s often these sort of things rather than anything very serious usually touch wood.

If nothing else, some ideas to try out. Bear in mind with the clutch switch on a Puma don’t just unplug it. You can’t do that like a TD5.
It needs to be bridged otherwise you’ll get a MIL amber dash light due to it which you’ll need to delete the DTC. Unless you have kit capable of deleting the code.
Just a forewarning but a failed clutch switch can cause stalling definitely, so can the VCV.
At higher speeds I’d say clutch switch stationary or low speed manoeuvring then VCV. The fittings are J.P.T. 2pole connectors. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #857782 24th Sep 2020 12:32am
chrisc2306

Thanks Steve I meant to say the MAF and Map have both been replaced also, going to turn off the passive immobiliser this morning and see if that has anything to do with it, I’ll let you know how it goes
Post #857799 24th Sep 2020 8:07am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ha e you ensured the alarm fob has been synced pressing it multiple time repeals after battery disconnect?

Just another tjongbb B to bear in mind. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #857835 24th Sep 2020 11:08am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
What does the instrument cluster do when the engine stops?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #857837 24th Sep 2020 11:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zixxer

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Think I solved it

Replaced the pressure sensor on the end of the fuel rail

Not the PRV at the bulkhead end - the pressure sensor at the front end of the rail
Post #858292 26th Sep 2020 7:49pm
chrisc2306

Nice one! I ordered one up to change it too. May as well I’ve replaced everything else Laughing
Post #858479 27th Sep 2020 10:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1