↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Smart HDC with engine braking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Smart HDC with engine braking
The last couple of outings I’ve done I thought I had a “problem” with the HDC (which I only use when I need and disable it the rest of the time) not always cutting in. Yesterday I asked at the dealers, and subsequently finding out from the viewer comments on one of the YouTube videos, that the cars with TR2/ configurable TR/ All Terrain Progress Control or the OffRoad Capability Pack seem to have a hidden added bonus in that the system appears to hold the car in a lower gear than you might think it would use on a decline when in manual shift or ATPC/ Auto TR2 and will use engine braking in preference to HDC. My biggest complaint over the years with HDC is that if you don’t disable it on the flat it still tries to reduce the vehicle speed by braking when you take your foot off the gas leading to accelerated brake pad wear. By utilising engine braking this reduces to wear on pads considerably. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857371 22nd Sep 2020 9:48am
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Thanks Tim, that's very usefull information.
Post #857395 22nd Sep 2020 11:48am
weeman

Thats good to know.

What is the engine breaking like on the D240 Tim? I've haven't had a chance to test drive the diesel, but hoping it does have good engine breaking when manually held in gear.
Post #857532 23rd Sep 2020 2:19am
Tim in Scotland

Now the HDC operates much more quietly than in my previous Land Rover cars it’s hard to tell when HDC has taken over unless you disable it. I’ve only done one seriously steep down slope and not used the HDC and it was OK but nothing to match my TDi300. More practice might be required! Commandshift control (manual gear shifting) of the new Defender off-road would be much nicer if LR had seen fit to add paddle shifters to the gearbox system, it isn’t helpful to have to take a hand off the steering wheel to do a manual gear shift that in other LR models can be done with a finger on a paddle. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857553 23rd Sep 2020 7:53am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Surely you just knock it into manual (“sport”) mode and then you can hold it in a specific gear in low range to use the engine braking, same as on an old Defender?

I know it’s an auto but I would presume that it would be able to lock up to achieve this.
Post #857647 23rd Sep 2020 4:00pm
Tim in Scotland

Even in manual shift the computer will decide if you should have engine braking or HDC unless you disable the HDC by its on/off switch which is how I prefer to drive it, HDC when I want it not when the computer thinks it’s needed. I read somewhere recently though that with the new software in Defender that even if you switch off the HDC when using one of the TR programs it runs in the background waiting to cut in without being asked........ similar to the stability controls on the sporty Mercs, even when you switch them off they aren’t fully off and will still intervene. You don’t have to use the programs and can still drive it old Defender style with just the low ratios and centre diff and HDC turned off, which is my preferred setting! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #857654 23rd Sep 2020 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1