↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rear locking diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Rear locking diff
The ‘Electronic Active Differential’ is a £1,000 option and I presume it cannot be easily added later on so I’m wondering, is it worth it? Has anybody used theirs in anger off road and would they recommend that it is fitted?

I’m presuming that it locks in certain off-road situations or Terrain Response modes, which would allow smoother progress in off-road situations where wheels might be lifted compared to the traction control applying reactive measures?
Post #853699 1st Sep 2020 8:15pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I wonder if it’s fitted to all but the functionality isn’t unlocked unless you spec it? 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #853708 1st Sep 2020 8:33pm
KBKLR

United Kingdom 
I specced it on my disco 4 and to be honest it saved a bit of brake pad wear and that was all. I have not specced it on my Defender.
Post #853709 1st Sep 2020 8:36pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Using back to back testing vehicles some with some without a rear locking diff on the discovery, rrs, rrv platforms over a 10 year period the ones with rld climbed Hills much smoothing and had significant less rear pad wear. I woulndt buy a new product without one as I use the vehicles off road. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #853720 1st Sep 2020 9:26pm
Tim in Scotland

I had one on my last RRS as it was standard on Dynamic models. It made quite a difference although I never did any extreme off-road stuff just green lanes but I never needed to change off the 22” road tyres never got stuck on wet grass or in mud and had it lock up a couple of times on very wet roads and in snow. Basis that experience I wanted to spec it on my new Defender but the dealer nation stock had only one First Edition with it and it didn’t have the enhanced security system, it had no security system, and I didn’t want to wait for a factory order........ also considered the security more important than a e-diff in day to day motoring. L494 RRS were also prone to a leak on them That required a complete replacement that would be expensive out of warranty...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853724 1st Sep 2020 10:07pm
ChasingOurTrunks

I'm also curious if they can be added after the fact, as that will be a major question for buyers in the used market in a few years time. If fitting a JLR locker after the fact isn't possible, what about other manufacturers like ARB air lockers?

I also wonder if the rear locker functionality is different depending on the Terrain Response option one gets? For instance, from the advertisements it seems that the TR2 offers total customization so a person could manually lock the centre and rear diffs if they want, whereas the standard Terrain Response does not allow for this manual locking, only the selection of various drive modes. Is that accurate, or is the rear locker controllable separately from the Terrain Response?

I have no experience with the lockers on any Land Rover vehicle, but I have had them on my last two adventure vehicles. I didn't have it on my earlier ones, but having used them I won't buy an adventure rig without one now, because the increased performance allows for a dramatic increase in mechanical sympathy by the driver -- obstacles that required momentum in my unlocked vehicle simply get crawled over at a snails pace in the same rig with a rear locker.

But, being able to switch it on and off is key -- I'm currently equipped with an auto-locker (True locker, not just an LSD) and it's good, but not as good as a switchable one because it requires wheel slip before engaging. The diff won't engage without that slip, so there's traction loss on one wheel, and then the diff locks which slams the other wheel into rotation, which can "shock" it out of traction too. Its only happened once, but it's never happened on a switchable rear locker.

Edit to add: I know the Defender's system depends on wheel slip to operate also, but it's electronically controlled so the amount of wheel slip is minimal relative to my auto-locker in the truck, which is mechanically controlled.
Post #853732 1st Sep 2020 11:09pm
zilch

Australia 
I have a rear diff on my 2nd RRS, and like Tim i have found it certainly smoothed out some of the more
challenging off road tracks i have had to tackle, unlike some vehicles that i observed (D3/D4/RRS) without it,
they seemed to need far more "wellie" and to scramble over..whereas the ediff enabled far more poise
and less frenetic vehicle traction intervention.. if that makes sense Laughing This was the top of my options list
when i spec'd and ordered the new Defender yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #853734 2nd Sep 2020 1:13am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Thanks all. I think it’s worth the extra cash then.

I don’t think I need to splash out almost the same amount again though for TR2 as from what I can gather the normal TR modes are more than clever enough. They know when to lock the diff and when not to, and indeed apply progressive degrees of locking in between.
Post #853742 2nd Sep 2020 6:10am
Tim in Scotland

In case anyone is wondering what the difference between Terrain Response and Terrain Response 2 is , as far as I know it’s the Auto setting in TR2 where the car’s computer decides which mode of TR to use. So in TR you will not have the Auto option on the dash. I’m not sure but I think if you don’t have TR2 you also cannot have the ATPC - All Terrain Progress Control (aka off road cruise control). one thing I don’t understand in the new system in New Defender is why LR renamed “Highway” to ‘Comfort’. To my dumb brain Comfort is a suspension setting - like the German car makers put onto their adjustable suspension and Highway is kind of self explanatory when on the screen with the other function icons.
I’m also not sure what Eco does, usually in EV’s you avoid using it as much as possible as it disables the climate control and kills the throttle sensitivity In other words making the car uncomfortable...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853759 2nd Sep 2020 7:35am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Thanks Tim.

I believe TR2 also has a configurable mode where you can set your own parameters for different scenarios. That would be the only selling point for me, but I don’t think it’s worth the cash given how good the standard TR is and, realistically, the more limited off roading that I will be doing in it.
Post #853771 2nd Sep 2020 8:16am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Just on a price point, it's at least relatively comparable to the cost of fitting a rear locker in an old defender!
Post #853773 2nd Sep 2020 8:21am
Tim in Scotland

The TR2 in the other models - RRS/D5/FFRR isn’t yet configurable so my view is that configurablity in the Defender is a separate thing. Most of my off-roading is what those in the south would call Greenlaning With the Scottish Green Road Club, I’ve not been brave enough to take the new one on one of their more serious offroad days at Bathgate / Torphican, preferring to use my old 90 for mud plugging and damaging stuff but it has been on 2 Green Road Runs at Killin and Whiteleys Wind Farm. Killin wet and muddy in places but I had no problems on the All Season tyres. The club has a run over the north east shoulder of Ben Lomond on a private shooting / farm track coming up and I’ll take the new one on that - a big test will,be the very steep uphill on mud and fallen leaves from the east shore of Loch Lomond back up to plateau Via a load of hairpin bends

BTW, it’s a pity LR don’t make AT tyres standard with All Seasons the option because I can see a lot of people thinking that from the reviews they have an almost invincible vehicle............ only to find how useless it is on All Season tyres when you point then]m at a patch of mud or damp grass.......... I expect a few videos coming on showing somebody’s lovely new Defender on wet grass or mud with all 4 wheels sinning and the owner (And doubtless a few journalists) ranting on about how useless the car is on showroom tyres. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #853779 2nd Sep 2020 8:36am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’ll try and get along to one of the SGRC trips once I’ve got mine, then we can compare with rear diff and without. Been meaning to join for a while but never got round to it, most of my off-roading is greenlaning in England/Wales and I don’t really like paid trips but it’ll be good to do a few closer to home.
Post #853810 2nd Sep 2020 12:09pm
donmacn

Tim in Scotland wrote:
.....only to find how useless it is on All Season tyres when you point then]m at a patch of mud or damp grass.......... I expect a few videos coming on showing somebody’s lovely new Defender on wet grass or mud with all 4 wheels sinning and the owner (And doubtless a few journalists) ranting on about how useless the car is on showroom tyres.

I have seen this very scenario myself. Not sure if these pics made it to the feature in the latest edition of LRO as my copy is at home, while I'm not, but the photos and videos were taken... Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #853856 2nd Sep 2020 3:46pm
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
ARB do a manual air locker for D3/D4, would this fit the new Defender?

https://www.devon4x4.com/air-locker-landrover-discovery.html
Post #853876 2nd Sep 2020 4:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>