↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2 tappet noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
2.2 tappet noise
I’m hoping the collective wisdom on here can help with my 2.2 engine making a ‘tappet’ noise. I have read many posts on similar noises with the 2.4 that point to solving the problem with an injector relearn, or vcv replacements, but nothing on this noise with the 2.2? It sounds just like an old 2.25 petrol with tappets out of adjustment.

When idling the tapping is just audible inside the cab if you are listening for it, outside with the bonnet closed it can’t be heard. As soon as the engine is revved it can be heard very distinctively and gets louder with increased engine speed, although when driving at speed wind noise nearly completely drowns it out. Most noticeable around 30 - 40mph in 3rd/4th gear when it sounds like a bag of spanner’s, worse when lifting off the throttle.

So far I have:
replaced exhaust manifold gasket which was leaking
Changed injector seat seals
Changed injector seat seals again, this time testing the injectors which were all ok
Cleaned MAP and MAF sensors, both looked as new
The noise is still there with the serpentine belt removed

Posh diesel, Millers diesel additive and 2-stroke oil make no difference
The noise is the same in standard form, or with BAS map
Clutch engaged or not makes no difference to the noise when the engine is revved

I have watched YouTube videos of transits with cracked pistons and it doesn’t sounds anywhere near as bad as those, so fingers crossed it is not that.

Any ideas of where to go next? I can find no information on changing vcv valves on the 2.2, which seems to be the common cure with 2.4’s with a similar noise?
Post #943337 21st Feb 2022 7:11pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
The belt tensioner and/or overrun alternator pulley can make this type of noise Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #943338 21st Feb 2022 7:13pm
PumaPhil

DeeEss, I thought it may be something like that, but I removed the serpentine belt, ran the engine and the noise still seemed to be there. Although I didn’t drive it in this state, just revved a little whilst stationary
Post #943340 21st Feb 2022 7:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sounds a bit like a bearing, have you taken the fan cowl off and had a look?

Check for leaks around the injectors. Worth taking a look. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #943361 21st Feb 2022 8:28pm
Kevlar

Czech Republic 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I have a similar noise on my 2.4, at first I thought it was a stone in the tire but then realized I could hear it while stationary.

Have you tried the injector relearn yet ?

Be interested if anyone has solved this before ?

Kev
Post #943420 22nd Feb 2022 9:36am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Sometimes I find the bracket that attaches the dpf to the engine, one of the bolts comes lose and makes strange rattling noises. Easily access with a 10mm socket from underneath.
Post #943465 22nd Feb 2022 3:27pm
PumaPhil

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I will check the DPF bracket to see if that is loose. Thumbs Up

I’ve taken the fan cowl off and run without the fan belt on and the noise is still there. I replaced the idler that sits where the air con pump should be about a year ago because that was failing.

I think I have narrowed it down to number 1 injector. I pulled the electrical connection off each injector in turn and the noise changed when number 1 was not plugged in. Ive also pulled back the sound insulation that sits on top of the rocker cover and this injector has a hint of diesel around it. This is easier to see now that I have degreased the top of the engine prior to all of the above work. I will replace the little green leak off pipe O-rings (again) next and also the fuel supply pipe to this injector in case that is not sealing correctly. Does anyone know if you can buy the union that connects the injector to the fuel pipe separately to the injector and if it has a part number? There is evidence that fuel may be seeping from here. If none of that works maybe the injector has a fault that was not picked up when they were tested…
Post #943478 22nd Feb 2022 5:52pm
PumaPhil

I still have this unresolved engine tapping which is slowly driving me mad…

Several people have heard/driven it now, including at its recent MOT, who all suggest sticking hydraulic lifters, or sticking valves. Also, by way of a very unscientific test, tapping the rocker arm carrier ladder with a screwdriver produces the exact tinny tapping sound that I can hear with the engine running. So this will be my next port of call, however I can’t find anything online that describes this particular job on a 2.2 Defender. Has anyone on here replaced these before and knows of the parts needed before I start? Or a way of testing that these are the cause of the noise?
Post #949572 16th Apr 2022 2:37pm
landhank

Germany 
Same here. But my 2.2 does it on one day… and its gone on the other day. Sometimes its bad with a cold engine, sometimes even worse with a hot engine. Sometimes it there on a cold start… and when i stop/ start the engine again its gone.
But that engine sounds not like a 2.2 at all (i have another 2.2 that runs smooth as).

I changed everything as well. Only two things left is the VCV and the throttle actuator.

And of course i went to two different workshops… but they had no idea, too.

I miss my good old 2.4 Sad

Sorry that my post wont help you with your problem… but youre not alone.
Post #949578 16th Apr 2022 3:48pm
PumaPhil

Did you go as far as changing any of the valve gear Landhank?
Post #949718 18th Apr 2022 8:29am
landhank

Germany 
No. I just did a visual check of the camshaft area when i replaced the injectors.
It all looked good. Because at my 2.2 its not a constant problem, iam thinking about it could be sensor or actuator related…

Thats why i am going to change the vcv next i think. But that engine is not making fun anymore:(
Post #949720 18th Apr 2022 8:45am
landhank

Germany 
I would like to bring up this topic again because i havent done my VCV yet. Iam a bit afraid of that its not possible to slide out the VCV on a 2.2l engine without removing the inlet manifold?!

Has anyone done this before and can give me some advice?
Post #966993 7th Oct 2022 11:05am
PumaPhil

Ours is still sounding terrible. I replaced the rocker arm carrier ladder with no difference about 6 months ago. Since then it has needed to work almost every single day so there has been no time for further investigation, although the noise hasn’t really got any worse. However, our busy ‘season’ has come to an end now so there will be some time to investigate further as it’s not needed to work everyday. I’m inclined to think we may have a damaged camshaft causing one valve to be slightly off-time. Our local Indy suggested just driving until it dies and then fitting a new engine, … an idea I’m not really keen on!
Post #967280 10th Oct 2022 7:19pm
Nipalongmoon

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Sounds like the hinges on the bonnet, I spray WD40 every so often on the whole hinge external and where it rubs together and it solves it.

Try, you never know.
Post #976309 1st Jan 2023 8:02pm
hornet

PumaPhil wrote:
Ours is still sounding terrible. [...]

Can you upload a soundfile?
Post #976673 4th Jan 2023 3:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>