↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Do all decat downpipes (TD5) sound the same?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
fumiyasu

1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Santorini Black
Do all decat downpipes (TD5) sound the same?
Hi all,

I've recently replace my exhaust from the downpipe to a Demand Engineering one but left the stock downpipe with cat in. My originally thinking was to leave the CAT in as it was fitted factory but I've now found out that my truck shouldn't have had one in the first place as it's a 1999. It should have had a straight through.

So long story short, I am looking to get a decat downpipe now as well. Demand Eng would be a natural choice as the rest of my system is theirs but their lead time is a bit long ATM and the Alive version is a 2 piece which should be easier to install. I can cut the original out and just pop it on without removing the crossmember.

Probably a stupid question but, should they all sound the same? Youtube's full of the demand eng exhaust sounding great which is what I want to achieve. From the pictures, they all look the same and given I assume they are all 2.5", should all sound the same and any difference would be more to do with silencer design and overall diameter? The Alive one is also 304 SS and mandrel bend so in theory very little difference to the Demand Eng version?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Last edited by fumiyasu on 18th Apr 2023 1:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #989353 18th Apr 2023 12:27pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Unless the bore is radically different they will sound the same. The two-piece Alive pipe is a great design and is much easier to deal with than a single piece pipe.

Although not on a TD5, I have an Alive two-piece downpipe coupled to a Demand Engineering exhaust from the downpipe back, and my only issue was that there is incredibly little clearance between the pipe and the crossmember just in front of the fuel tank (it's a 110) - the clearance is perhaps 1/8" (or 3mm if you're a youngster). I am not sure if this is because the Alive pipe ands a little further back that then original downpipe, or the Demand pipe is a slightly different shape to the original LR system, but given that the original LR pipe wasn't this close with the Alive downpipe I suspect that it is the Demand system which is a very close fit, not the Alive pipe.
Post #989363 18th Apr 2023 1:16pm
fumiyasu

Thanks, I will give the Alive pipe a go then.

Mine's a 110 as well and I don't remember the Demand system (2.5inch center/3inch exit mated to LR downpipe) being too close to anything, so it could be the Alive downpipe or it might be a Puma thing? Although I did think it was a tight fit to wiggle everything in-place when I did it and that was with the shocks and springs out.

Or I might just not have noticed! Will take a peek later on now that you've said that.

Gary
Post #989366 18th Apr 2023 1:29pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Why do you think your Td5 shouldn't have a CAT? As far as I'm aware they became standard fitment towards the end of 300tdi production so I'm sure the Td5 era would have started with the CAT being the default UK spec, regardless of how optimistic the current would be tuners and noisy exhaust brigade may wish otherwise.
Post #989409 18th Apr 2023 9:04pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Early td5’s didn’t have a cat. The vehicle in question is an early td5. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #989413 18th Apr 2023 9:09pm
fumiyasu

I believe the TD5 only had a cat added when it switched from 10p to 15p in order to pass EU4 standards. This is also why you can buy a Genuine downpipe with no cat if you use an early VIN for parts lookup.

Mines an odd case as it started life with a 10p but then had a swap to 15p at some point. That was probably when it had a CAT downpipe fitted.

Happy to be corrected though.
Post #989414 18th Apr 2023 9:10pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
All decat down pipes are not the same. I’ve had a few and there are differences. Especially between cheap versions and higher quality options. I think mainly due to the thickness of materials, thightness of bend, quality/type of flex section.

Personally I’d recommend just waiting for the Demand one. I know the Alive will be quality, but I would like it all to be the same, and one less joint than what Alive appear to now offer. My Alive system didn’t have a two part down pipe, so I’m surprised to read they have changed. Waiting won’t cause any problem. It’s just time, and you know you have the best and it will work.
Post #989415 18th Apr 2023 9:16pm
I Like Old Skool

Bows wrote:
Early td5’s didn’t have a cat. The vehicle in question is an early td5.

Ok, I'm very much a TDI guy and haven't played with td5s yet but I'm quite surprised to hear the cat was dropped from late 300tdi to early Td5.

Also surprised someone has retrofitted a CAT!

As it happens, I have a Demand SS exhaust in my TDI and I second the suggestion to wait for the demand section. I'm more than happy with my manifold back exhaust.
Post #989420 18th Apr 2023 9:27pm
fumiyasu

Well it's too late now as I've ordered the alive one today. I was very impressed with the demand bits I have gotten, so was definitely very split on the decision.

Agree that they aren't all the same, especially on the cheaper ones that aren't 304 ss but looking at the specs the alive one seems to be very similar to demand.

I did have a listen on YouTube on the alive setup as well which seems to sound decent. So hopefully it works out. Will probably report back once I have it fitted.

Also just found out demand started offering switchable on their 3" system, I probably would have gone for that if I haven't already gotten the other bits!

Anyway side note, I went for the side exit option but my shiny tip now keep on getting caked by the spray from the rear wheel even though there is a mud flap in between. Is this just how it is or is there a trick to this?
Post #989421 18th Apr 2023 9:38pm
I Like Old Skool

Well, at least you didn't get the non-stainless steel SS version that I started out with. Shocking quality and design right from the get go! https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80149.html
Post #989422 18th Apr 2023 10:01pm
blackwolf

If it's any comfort, my Alive downpipe has impressed me just as much as the parts from Demand. The quality is very similar, so unless Alive has gone to the dogs in the ten years or so since I bought it you should have little to fear.
Post #989426 18th Apr 2023 10:37pm
blackwolf

Also it must be said that (on the Puma at least) the convenience of a two-part downpipe is worth its weight, it is so much easier than removing the cross-member and jacking the engine to fit.
Post #989427 18th Apr 2023 10:38pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I think you'll find that Demand make the downpipes for Alive these days. That's what Alive told me recently when I enquired.. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #989438 19th Apr 2023 7:14am
fumiyasu

I Like Old Skool wrote:
Well, at least you didn't get the non-stainless steel SS version that I started out with. Shocking quality and design right from the get go! https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic80149.html

Yeah, the old buy cheap buy twice. I've fallen into that trap enough to really suspect a part if it seems too cheap these days...

blackwolf wrote:
If it's any comfort, my Alive downpipe has impressed me just as much as the parts from Demand. The quality is very similar, so unless Alive has gone to the dogs in the ten years or so since I bought it you should have little to fear.

That's good to hear. I did speak to Alive on turbos and have been quite happy with the quick responses and knowledge, so I generally have confidence in their products but exhaust notes are a bit of a dark art to me and just didn't know if it was one of those 1+1 doesn't equals 2 things. Hopefully it should work out... Will know in a few days.

Quote:
I think you'll find that Demand make the downpipes for Alive these days. That's what Alive told me recently when I enquired..

Oh really? Is that a recent conversation? I did read something about that on one of the forums but there were conflicted information around it in terms of whether they've switched away or not since Demand Eng have gone direct sales to users.
Post #989448 19th Apr 2023 8:39am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
Just fitted a Demand full system to my 130. Sport Cat can in the down pipe and it went on without removing anything. Just jacked the body up for some extra clearance, a bit of waggling around trial and error and it was done. Less than half an hour to fit the whole thing.

Outstanding quality. Sounds awesome. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #989449 19th Apr 2023 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>