↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Licence photo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
AMBxx wrote:
... Only problem, if you're white and have grey hair, it complains about the lack of colour! Big Cry

Surely that's racism - discrimination on the basis of skin colour? I suppose it's OK if a dark-skinned person with black hair gets an equivalent message. Rolling with laughter
Post #854030 3rd Sep 2020 3:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The D1 pack is indeed the one with the “photo window” where you need the correct size photo applied.
Doesn’t need signing though, that’s only for new applications typically young drivers first licences or when requested.

It’s remarkable how so many rules apply to photos, but certain people out there can still have “head coverings”. That’s discriminatory too. Should be a single rule for everybody no exceptions except for anyone with a disability for example. Nothing other than that.
And that passport licence renewals are cheaper too, why would anyone who doesn’t need a passport want one to get another thing like the driving licence done.
Again, assumption of one size fits all.
Wrong.

The HGV licence regular health tests put people off that job I think too in droves, I can understand it in a way but isn’t any good for productivity.

I wonder if EU lorries drivers have the same or are exempt? Probably exempt here, but not over there or something ridiculous. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #854152 3rd Sep 2020 10:38pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have to reapply for my licence every three years because of a pre-existing medical condition.

Mine is up for renewal at the end of the Year, but I have heard DVLA is working at a snails pace since the whole covid thing. It normally takes two to three months to get the thing renewed. Fingers crossed.

Not sure about European HGV licences (or car licences come to that). Has anyone ever made a comparison between say a UK test and a Belgium test, or say a Bulgarian test? Are they that much different?

We, as a country, sometimes have an illusion that we do everything really well and we are world leaders. I think it stems back to having a commonwealth Whistle I'm sure we do some things really well, but in the line of work I am in, the europeans have been head and shoulders above our UK regulations for years.
Post #854159 3rd Sep 2020 10:59pm
blackwolf

HGV only requires an initial medical and then every 5 years from 45 years of age, it's not exactly onerous. It's not exactly rigorous either if the waistline and physique of many truckers is any indication.

I never mind getting my five-yearly done since it's the only medical check-up I ever get (I do resent the exploitative fee, though).
Post #854160 3rd Sep 2020 11:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The HGV training and tests must be costly I should imagine, what sort of figures does that work out to be these days?

And I didn’t know that it was age related the health testing, I still tend to think it would put people off and probably encourage some to give it up voluntarily.

I take my hat off to them, they keep the countries wheels turning literally amongst every other important industry out there. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #854161 3rd Sep 2020 11:08pm
Rashers

I think having to do the classroom driver cpc was what put a lot of the older generation drivers off.

Not sure if this requirement has done anything to improve driver or road safety?

HGV driving - especially tramping - is not very sociable and I don’t think it is particularly well paid. Something else which puts a lot of young people off.
Post #854162 3rd Sep 2020 11:28pm
Rashers

custom90steve wrote:

I take my hat off to them, they keep the countries wheels turning literally amongst every other important industry out there. Thumbs Up

It is a shame some depots, warehouses and stores don’t. There are many reports of drivers being refused access to toilets on site when they are delivering. It beggars belief what kind of people would refuse a rest room to any other human!! (This was all pre-Covid)

I worked in a large transport transshipment site in the North West a few years back. The drivers toilets and shower were terrible. Unkept, poorly maintained and not cleaned. Just a disgrace.

Even lorry haters have to admit that this country would grind to a halt without road transport. Road haulage did a tremendous job keeping supplies rolling during lockdown. Unsung heroes of the pandemic Thumbs Up
Post #854163 3rd Sep 2020 11:38pm
blackwolf

I've no idea what it costs now. When I did my Class 1 you could go straight to Class 1 from a car licence and the theory test, CPC, and all that nonsense hadn't been dreamt up. It wasn't very expensive at the time, but to do it now means (I think) theory and practical test for rigids followed by artics as well as CPC. Five times the testing so presumably at least 5 times the cost.

Has it made the roads safer? Doesn't appear to have done to me.
Post #854165 3rd Sep 2020 11:43pm
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
There are quite a number of UK hauliers that require HGV drivers to have passed their Driving Tests & CPC's in the UK.

The medical for Vocational Licences tends to focus on eyesight & heart condition.

Thesedays, if you have a recently passed car licence you have to take a medical £80, CPC £400 then learn to drive a 7.5 tonner £1,500, convert to a Class II £1,000 & then convert to a Class I £1,000 & feed youself for a month if you do it all in one go, so you are looking at a ball park figure of around £5k.
Then, because you have no experience end up driving a borderline MOT dustbin on wheels doing the trips that no-one wants, for rubbish money. (All prices quoted are variable).

Then, you have to keep up your CPC training (1 x module every year) & then maybe get a Hi-ab/Forklift/hazardous Goods tickets (& renew them as required).

It's very easy to put on weight when you look at the roadside catering facilities in the UK.

I used to get refused access to toilets at some RDC's but then I would politely point out that if the company issue instructions to visiting drivers then whilst you are on their premises you were technically in their employ then they had no choice - or, I would drive off with their delivery still on board to find a toilet & not return.

So, taking all that into account is why you don't see many younger drivers (except maybe Eastern Europeans) - the cost of learning to drive an HGV would go a way towards a university education which is much more attractive to younger people.
Post #854171 4th Sep 2020 12:29am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Update -

DVLA accepted it. Very Happy

I used gloss printer paper with colour inks present in Printer.
I used the following App regarding the photo to ensure it was correctly aligned and the right size etc after being taken.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/passport-pho...1483750251

I took the photo back when the sun was out, with a cream dust sheet hung up behind.

So if anyone has any issues with ensuring a picture is the right size to print and aligned correctly, that App will help you do that.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #859399 2nd Oct 2020 7:03pm
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks for the recommendation ^^^ I was wondering what to do with mine shortly.

Anyone know how long passport renewals are taking currently?
Post #859752 4th Oct 2020 2:20pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had an odd one from the Passport Agency. I wear glasses all the time and my passport photo was rejected because...

my glasses were too close to my face!!

Sometimes you can't make it up! I had to resubmit a picture sans glasses. Cheers Don.
Post #859924 5th Oct 2020 4:01pm
Oldsalt

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Hi all,
Recently renewed my passport,
Applied online 10th Sept with digital photo.
Sent old passport 12th Sept (nothing happens until they receive this at passport office)
New passport received 25th Sept.

Service seems pretty good to me !

Hope this info is useful
Post #860019 6th Oct 2020 6:42am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I guess that even if they are short staffed, not many people are travelling right now so I imagine demand for new passports and renewals will be low.
Post #860024 6th Oct 2020 8:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12