↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > How essential is a rear wheel carrier?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I have a 285 tyre on an 18 inch rim hanging on my back door. Currently 4 years with the larger wheels /tyres and no problems even with the roads washboard tracks locally Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #853277 31st Aug 2020 8:28am
donmacn

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
It's worth bearing in mind that miker's rear door on his 1999 model is a completely different construction to that fitted to all models from 2005 onwards. The earlier door is an ali skin over a steel box section frame whilst the later one is an all steel pressing and much stronger for it. That being said, I've still fitted a wheel carrier Rolling Eyes

This is the key point here. My car is a '94 MY, with the steel frame/alu skin. I could find pictures - they might be on my rebuild thread - of my back door, where the internal steel frame had cracked in many places due to the weight of the spare wheel over the years, and that damage was done with a standard 16' steel wheel, and the Michelin 7.50s, nothing more extreme or heavy.

I'd suggest that putting a spare on that, then it is a case of not if, but when the door will suffer.

An alternative to a carrier - depending on what "style" of car you have might be to brace the frame with a chequer plate internal door 'card', maybe even with the wheel carrier bolted through to that?

I now have a wheel carrier, and one of Robert's ('hairymonsterman' on ebay) galved steel frame and skin doors. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #853280 31st Aug 2020 8:39am
RichLech

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I don't have a wheel carrier or spare on my back door. Because my 90 is just a basic van/dog carrier I keep a spare on the floor in the back. I have it covered with a sheet of ply which ends up at the same height as the two wheel arch side areas.

I can't recall ever having to take it out for lack of space.

This solution suits my use.
Post #853286 31st Aug 2020 8:47am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I'm currently touring Scotland with the spare wheel inside on the floor.
Just before setting off I found the top hinge was badly worn and causing the door to rattle.
2015 model, only 26,000 miles, mainly road use and standard wheel/tyre.

My plan is to continue replacing the standard hinges. Rolling Eyes
Post #853291 31st Aug 2020 9:11am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
I do have a wheel carrier but then my 110 tends to get more abuse than most on here.

Oh and it's 26 years old and still on all the original doors and hinges unlike a fair few on here... Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #853294 31st Aug 2020 9:17am
donmacn

How have you managed that Ed? Has the carrier been on for a while, so saving the door?

Another factor that's occurred to me might be the amount of winter salt on the roads up here, but 26 years on the OE door and hinges is good going! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #853295 31st Aug 2020 9:27am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
I think a fair chunk of it is down to the fact it's a 300Tdi. I reckon the 300Tdis were perhaps some of the last decently built Defenders. I was shocked when I saw a brand spanking new 2.2 Puma being driven out of the Guildford dealership some years back and utility wagon panels in my 110 had less ripples and were straighter! Bearing in mind my sides came from an 88" Series 3 so late 80's era and had just come back from some heavy off-roading in France where they got driven through all manner of scratchy tracks and pushed branches out of the way. I'm in no way saying they're pristine but they looked straighter than a brand new one. Similar thing for the hinges - most people I know who've got Tdi vehicles their hinges have outlasted every other manufacturer.

They may still be original (at least what's left) but they're getting fairly rotten. I did patch up the passenger side ones a few years back, mainly just cleaning up joints and re-welding them where they'd come apart. The driver's sides bottoms are pretty non-existent now so I do have some repair sections I need to weld in but the skins and vast majority of the framework is still in reasonable condition.

The spare wheel carrier has been on since pretty much the day I bought the vehicle (some 12 years and 180,000 miles ago). I think I can count the times I've washed it on one hand Embarassed - one of those was a proper valet because I was asked to be the bridal vehicle for a friend's wedding. I do dunk it in rivers fairly often though... The lack of greasing on the spare wheel carrier has slowly killed it - it was an original Mantec one but only cost ~£50 back in the day. One side effect of not greasing it is that it "locks" in position wherever it is so that's quite nice.

The hinges are getting to the point where I need to either rebuild or replace them - they do have a fair bit of slop but the build quality of "new" ones has put me off and I absolutely detest the look of all the after market ones. I do have an idea for a very secure hinge that would be a bolt in replacement but sorting out the new workshop is taking priority. Once a fair bit of that's in place I can move the mill in there and have a crack at it.

Despite living in Wales it does see it's fair chunk of Scottish salt as I probably spent a month of the year these days up in the Highlands deer stalking from late September through to February. Although thinking about it it's maybe 4 trips up and back and once we're up there the vast majority of the time is spent off-road on estate roads which don't get salted.

I know it's not the "done" way for wading but it was done for photographic effects and we'd already been through the crossing on the way up the hill but gives you an impression of how much abuse a spare wheel might take on the rear.

Click image to enlarge

The ultimate point is - I don't see a downside to having a wheel carrier apart from the initial outlay. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #853305 31st Aug 2020 10:16am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I have a Nakatanenga, Does the job and looks great too. Small bought it for me Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #853315 31st Aug 2020 10:52am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Wheel carriers don't have to be expensive.

I have fitted the britpart copy of the mantec one on two landrovers both for over 5 years. No corrosion showing. Only tweaks needed was a tighten up at the piston and adding some lock nuts. Keep it coated in ACF-50.

Cheapest place I could find them last time I looked was https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spare-wheel-c...-4342.html
Post #853342 31st Aug 2020 1:30pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I carry mine in the rear load bed on top of the wheel box on the nearside (step wheel boxed 110) with it strapped to the internal roll cage. Rear carrier dispensed with because it gets in the way of the Alko hitch locking mechanism for the 'van plus it makes the door weigh a ton, particularly when it's parked on a side slope, even with the nakatanenga strut. Going to investigate putting it on the load bed floor once I have the measurements for the preferred long-term tyres. I'd quite like to convert to a drop tailgate and lifting upper section but don't know if it's possible on a Puma.
Post #853344 31st Aug 2020 1:50pm
MarcusM

2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Keswick Green
Great info guys thanks - and Scotm will take a look at that link- seems like a decent price there Keswick green 2007 Defender 90 TD5
Post #854148 3rd Sep 2020 10:20pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thon wrote:
... I'd quite like to convert to a drop tailgate and lifting upper section but don't know if it's possible on a Puma.

Entirely possible, the hardest part is finding a decent catflap and associated parts.
Post #854155 3rd Sep 2020 10:44pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Scotm wrote:
Wheel carriers don't have to be expensive.

I have fitted the britpart copy of the mantec one on two landrovers both for over 5 years. No corrosion showing. Only tweaks needed was a tighten up at the piston and adding some lock nuts. Keep it coated in ACF-50.

Cheapest place I could find them last time I looked was https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/spare-wheel-c...-4342.html

I've also got the same carrier, it's been on for 4 years and no complaints yet. Alongside an oversized spare tyre I regularly hang a bike rack from it and carry 2 mountain bikes with no issues. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #854212 4th Sep 2020 11:15am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've got the same one too, and I'm really impressed with it so far.

The fact that you hang lots of other stuff from it is also encouraging as I'm currently making a bracket to bolt a hi-lift to mine. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #854213 4th Sep 2020 11:17am
DiyYin

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I have a Mantec one. Keep it lubed up otherwise it will start to make these awful screechy noises when you try and close it.
My driveway is up a slope and closing the rear door before the wheel carrier took some amount of force, must have been the bending moment around the hinges, it's easier now.
Post #855146 9th Sep 2020 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>