↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > (sorry) need to pick clutch/output upgrade parts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

(sorry) need to pick clutch/output upgrade parts
H All.

Firstly an apology - I've been searching through the forum and there are dozens of posts already on Puma clutches and output shaft upgrades so I think there must be a lot of knowledge understood by other owners already. I was just hoping for some quick confirmations before I place quite a large order for parts.

My 2010 2.4 90 CSW has a pronounced thunk in the rear driveline and the clutch is getting slightly rattly. No worries - at 50k miles I'm happy to change the clutch and to do any other worthwhile jobs while the garage is in there - I'm going to hit every item I can glean from the forum in one go:

New uprated clutch
New slave cylinder
New output shaft
One piece rear halfshafts
Check/replace propshaft UJs.
Check diff.

This lot should give me the piece of mind I want to let me take on some planned overland travel (hence the belt-and-braces approach). In terms of use - its typical defender stuff: maily road, some off roading (but nothing extreme domestically) plus some planned overland trips including north africa (sand - subject to travel restrictions).

So firstly - could anyone advise whether I've missed anything? While its apart, I'd rather play it safe and change any parts needed than have to pull it apart again in the future.

Secondly, the choice of parts.

There's a fantastic thread on the various friction plates over the years and it seems the latest version is LR048731. There's also a lot of high quality clutches listed on the forum. It seems the choices are:

1) CLutchfix HD £385 (plate, cover, later slave cylinder, updated adaptor/valves)
2) LR048731 Genuine £411 [£336 (plate and cover only) +£75 genuine 2.2 slave cylinder + £36 for valve and adaptor]
3) LOF Extremespec £432 (plate, cover, later slave cylinder, updated adaptor/valves)

Obviously straight replacement OEM parts are half that.

Then there's the output shaft options

4) Genuine - full kit £150
5) LOF Extremespec output shaft kit £240 (one piece 300M - apparently leak-free) - now confirmed as the 1st September in stock
6) Ashcroft MT82 Output shaft kit £366.

I suspect that clutchfix + ashcroft will be safest but happy to hear otherwise.

So any advice on the safest choice of parts would be most welcome. Its a big investment, but I plan on keeping the vehicle for life so think its worth the investment to get this right - any other parts worth changing at the same time then I'll gladly add them to the list.

Thank you.
Post #851947 25th Aug 2020 3:38pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm really intrigued by LOF output shaft as it completely does away with that troublesome splined joint, plus it is a good chunk cheaper than the Ashcroft solution too. Are there any possible downsides? Too early to say unless anyone can see any glaring potential problems with it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #851950 25th Aug 2020 3:49pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Hi

I have a LOF road spec clutch, with original flywheel, and a LOF master cylinder,

When first fitted I was very unhappy with it as it rattled badly and put a lot of vibration into the car at low revs, however over the first few thousand miles the rattle has lessened and the vibrations have also reduced and now I am more than happy, the pedal is light and power take up smooth.

I also have the Ashcroft modified output shaft, what can I say time will tell

I also have Ashcroft ATBs

All fitted to give peace of mind pulling my caravan

all in all very little transmission slack DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #851967 25th Aug 2020 5:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You missed another good clutch option, which is the 4x4 Transit clutch (note that the 4x4 Transit does not have a dual-mass flywheel).

My only concern with the LOF shaft is the possibility that it moves the fretting from the adaptor shaft splines to the gearbox output shaft splines, since replacing these would be massively more expensive (i.e., new gearbox) than replacing a shaft. if, as seems likely, a misalignment between the gearbox and transfer box is a significant contributor to the spline wear problem, then I don't see how this would be avoidable. That being said, I haven't seen a LOF shaft and don't know how it actually works so it may have been designed to avoid this.

You may want to consider replacing the spigot bearing in the back of the crankshaft while you have the gearbox out and the clutch off, but be advised that it can be very difficult to extract on the TDCi. Similarly you may want ot be prepared for replacing the rear crankshaft oil seal since these quite often leak.

Re. the output shaft, a lot depends on the mileage of your vehicle and the condition of the shaft you take out. There are many vehicles with very high mileage original shafts, and if yours is unworn then why replace it at all? If it is high mileage and slightly warn, a genuine standard shaft well greased will probably be fine. If it s low mileage and worn, or of the vehicle has a history of eating them, then I would fit the Ashcroft shaft kit.
Post #851983 25th Aug 2020 6:44pm
dgardel

Italy 
Yes!!! I'm with Blackwolf

here in Italy (www.africaland.it) after my initial installation (yes I was the first!), we have now fitted it in at least 50 vehicles and they are all very satisfied.
Some have already passed 100,000 km without any new noise or vibration.
It is very sturdy and massive, much more so than other parallel brands that offer reinforced/uprated kits

Here the shopping list:

MASTER CLUTCH PUMP:
- sachs P/N 6 284 600 602
- or Land Rover P/N STC500100

TRANSIT 4x4 CLUTCH KIT (you can buy it from a Ford Dealer or https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=3+000+950+727):
-Sachs P/N 3 000 950 727

SLAVE ASSY:
- LR068979 SLAVE (3)
- LR068981 ADAPTOR (1)
- LR068982 CONTROL VALVE (4)

Click image to enlarge

Sachs 3 000 950 727 KIT is equivalent for Ford P/N:
OEN 1528774 — FORD
OEN 1788692 — FORD
OEN 7C11 7540 BB — FORD
OEN RM 7C 11754 0BB — FORD
OEN 7C11 7540 BB — FORD (JMC)
..... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #852071 26th Aug 2020 7:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
As mentioned by others, see the possibility of mainshaft wear on another thread : https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59735-240.html
Suspect was loose nut holding the female coupling on the gbox mainshaft.
I would have been much happier if the wear was on the intermediate shaft which is cheaper to exchange. Preferably no wear anywhere. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #852151 26th Aug 2020 3:17pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I can vouch for LOF stuff Thumbs Up although I don't have their replacement shaft, I went genuine land rover (new design) with plenty of grease as supplied with it Smile Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #852283 26th Aug 2020 10:01pm
Gasket

Thanks guys.

So the parts to be changed are:

New uprated clutch (included in LOF Extremespec bundle)
New slave cylinder (later concentric 2.2 type - included in LOF Extremespec bundle)
*LR068981 Bleed pipe* (included in LOF Extremespec bundle)
*LR068982G Bleed valve* (included in LOF Extremespec bundle)
consider replacing the spigot bearing (included in LOF Extremespec bundle)
consider replacing the rear crank oil seal (included in LOF Extremespec bundle)
New output shaft (leaning towards the Ashcroft kit - but will order at the last minute in case any better info comes out on the LOF option)
One piece rear halfshafts (garage says they have these in stock, so assume this is a standard later LR part?)
Check/replace propshaft UJs (they have genuine UJs in stock - though I dont know if this will affect balance)
Check diff.

So, going from the replies above - I'll order an Ashcroft shaft at the last minute (one garage told me they'd fitted 6 and half of them had leaked, the other garage - the one doing the work told me they'd fitted loads and they's all been great) - just in case a full review of the LOF option comes out in the meantime and closes the concerns about gearbox wear.

For the clutch - the Transit option is really interesting and I'm sure I'll go that way on my next clutch - but for now I think I'll play safe and get one that's had a bit more testing in a Puma: I'm leaning towards the LOF ExtremeSpec option - based on its success with the Israeli MOD 130s and the complete bundle of parts needed to update the 2.4TDCi it comes with.
Post #852331 27th Aug 2020 10:15am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Just be sure what you are getting with the one piece shafts. I understand that there at least two types that will fit, and some are not as strong as others. Someone more knowledgeable than me will know, but I think the weaker are ones are maybe a Disco part? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #852343 27th Aug 2020 11:09am
blackwolf

The genuine Landrover single-piece rear shafts are great but blisteringly expensive, so be prepared if you are getting a garage to fit genuine parts. Take something to sit on when you are about to be given the bill.
Post #852348 27th Aug 2020 11:26am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I have had the Britpart single piece half shafts fitted for a couple of years now without a problem. I believe they are the proper ones for TDCI and not just disco ones.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I couldn't see the justification in price between these and the genuine ones.
Post #852357 27th Aug 2020 12:11pm
Gasket

Thanks guys - I'll have a chat with them first. Worst case then the LOF ones are only £199 a pair.

I've heard good things about the Britpart ones, suppose it comes down to who makes them for Britpart - for years I wouldn't touch blue box bits, but they've started to stock some components from known good manufacturers of late.
Post #852383 27th Aug 2020 2:01pm
blackwolf

Genuine single-piece shafts are approx £300 + VAT each, which is scandalous. They are made in South Korea, which I'm afraid is not a country I associate with top-quality steel products, and bearing this in mind it is difficult to justify the expenditure. There are several people who have expressed satisfaction with the Britpart ones (and it is quite possible they come from the same factory).
Post #852387 27th Aug 2020 2:20pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
I was also looking into the LOF single piece half shafts for my truck and checked with Luke of LOF to make sure they weren't Britpart shafts. He told me that they are from an LR Supplier and are good solid kit. So this is going on the buy and install list for me.

As blackwolf said, the original LR parts are quite shocking in the price department, I should also know, I checked the prices! Shocked The Britpart ones are WAY cheaper but then again, they're Britpart. The LOF offerings seem to be the middle ground and you get the pair for a decent price.
Post #852522 28th Aug 2020 4:35am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Perhaps should also check if Britpart shafts are also from the LR Supplier. Just a thought. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #852525 28th Aug 2020 5:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>